Teach Me How To Overclock My Cpu?

I Am Yes!

Teach Me How To Overclock My Cpu?

Post by I Am Yes! »

This is what I have:

CPU: Pentium Dual Core B940 2.0GHz
GFX: Intel HD
RAM: 4GB

I'm told my CPU can be safely overclocked to about 3.0 GHz but I'm not sure I entirely understand the process. Could any of you help? If it means anything I'd also like to say I'm going to upgrade my memory to 8GB.

Thank you.
Last edited by I Am Yes! on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Add me on Skype: joseph.hudson5
Fire
Owner

Re: Teach Me How To Overclock My Cpu?

Post by Fire »

If you do a google search with your G card name and the word over clock I am sure you will find a video or thread explaining how. I'd like to know why your trying to OC your CPU. If you do it and never use your computer for anything CPU intensive it is just a waste of effort. Also, if you do it wrong and it breaks (which can happen) you wont be able to return it or get any support because using external programs to increase performance will most likely void any warranty. Lastly, OCing from factory settings will degrade your CPUs life over time. I do suggest you do some research before attempting anything.
Last edited by Fire on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
I Am Yes!

Post by I Am Yes! »

Well my Cpu runs at like 1-10% during internet browsing, and with older games like UT3(30-60fps max settings) or CS:S(60-180fps max settings) it runs at about 10-54%. Modern games such as Homefront and Bulletstorm however, run at 84-100% Cpu and there is a bit of lag. Bulletstorm runs fine on the lowest settings, and even medium. But highest I only have like 10-15fps. As far as Homefront, on the lowest settings I only get 10-15fps. I don't know how much a difference having 8GB of ram as opposed to 4GB will help. My friend mentioned overclocking to me and the way he talked about it made it sound good. Lol, he said my Cpu would hold up fairly well.
Last edited by I Am Yes! on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I Am Yes!

Post by I Am Yes! »

Move this to Hardware and Advice?

Edit: Thanks for moving this. :grin:
Last edited by I Am Yes! on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
preston
Veteran

Post by preston »

2ghz dual core and 4gb of ram isn't your problem. your problem is your on board graphics. Purchase a graphics card for around $60 bucks and you should be good.
Last edited by preston on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BlackKnight

Post by BlackKnight »

Preston, don't lie to the rookie. A 2GHz dual core CPU is garbage in this day and age. Regardless of that, what power supply until do you have in your computer? What wattage is the unit? Also, what motherboard is everything installed on? Without knowing these things, safely overclocking is a blind task.
Last edited by BlackKnight on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
preston
Veteran

Post by preston »

It is old but I used to run CS:S on a 2.4GHZ single core with 1 GB or ram. I upgraded ram to 2 GB and the computer was perfect. A 2GHZ dual core is not his problem.
Last edited by preston on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BlackKnight

Post by BlackKnight »

CS:S does not equal bulletstorm...

Regardless! The main components you have to worry about in demanding games are: Memory (RAM), CPU, GPU, PSU. For what you have, it is definitely worth it to upgrade the CPU. 4GB of RAM should be fine for most games.
preston wrote:Purchase a graphics card for around $60 bucks and you should be good.
you should really reference an appropriate graphics card for him to purchase for such a low price.

This videocard, for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121442
and
This processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103962

That is, if you like AMD products.
Last edited by BlackKnight on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
TechieGee
Veteran

Post by TechieGee »

I like Intel better.
But what's your professional opinion, since you seem to know a lot about computers?
Can you find me a list of things to build a PC with? It should be a fairly good PC, capable of running most games at decent or high settings.
I'm hoping for around $600-$800.
Last edited by TechieGee on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
If you need any help, just shoot me an email!
techie.gee@gmail.com
preston
Veteran

Post by preston »

My bad I thought we were just talking CS:S. Most newer games will require a better processor and graphics card. But really his graphics is his weak point. He needs a dedicated graphics card. If he gets a new graphics card then it should help with FPS in games significantly. And like i said earlier a $60 graphics card would be good because that would get it to a higher level than his processor. You don't want to have one overpowered thing in your system. Its like having a Bugatti with a Civic transmission, no matter how fast the CPU is the GPU will Bog you down in games if it is much slower. Vis versa.
A graphics card like this would be enough, unless he plans on upgrading his cpu to a quad core.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3585
This one is on sale for $40 dollars after rebate. It will most likely run Bulletstorm on Medium graphics.
If he got this and a good CPU cooler like this then he could overclock.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=493
So for under $100 you could overclock your CPU without overheating and get a graphics card.
Last edited by preston on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.