Buying new laptop, need your opinions

Consuela

Buying new laptop, need your opinions

Post by Consuela »

Hey guys. So I've been looking at some laptops because mine is getting pretty old, and I landed on two of them. They are both Toshiba Satellites with mostly the same specs ( 8 GB or ram, 1 TB of free disk space, AMD a10-4600m processor). They are around the same price, but the only difference is that one has an AMD Radeon HD 7660g graphics card, where as the other has Radeon HD 7660g + 7610m dual graphics.

I wanted to know which one would be better for gaming, or maybe which one is better, overall, for the computer.

Thanks.
Last edited by Consuela on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pheonix

Re: Buying new laptop, need your opinions

Post by Pheonix »

Just custom-build your lappy. It will be less expensive, and in the event it is more expensive, your custom will last way longer and be better.
Last edited by Pheonix on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Consuela

Post by Consuela »

Pheonix wrote:Just custom-build your lappy. It will be less expensive, and in the event it is more expensive, your custom will last way longer and be better.
ya i was thinking of it, but my dad is paying for it and hes not big on the whole custom build. I would do it, but he's paying for it so he rather not. :oops:
Last edited by Consuela on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
IAmJim

Post by IAmJim »

You'd be better off spending the money on a desktop.
Last edited by IAmJim on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Minnesota

Post by Minnesota »

IAmJim wrote:You'd be better off spending the money on a desktop.
Desktop isn't portable, and I'm assuming that's the reason he wants a laptop.
Last edited by Minnesota on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Consuela

Post by Consuela »

MoistTitties wrote:
IAmJim wrote:You'd be better off spending the money on a desktop.
Desktop isn't portable, and I'm assuming that's the reason he wants a laptop.
He is right, i will be also using my laptop in my engineering program next year, which also demands a good gc.
Last edited by Consuela on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

How much are they?
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Consuela

Post by Consuela »

The one with the dual graphics is 600 CDN, and the one with the 7660g is 30 dollars more
Last edited by Consuela on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Please note that it isn't "dual" graphics. The advertised "7660g GPU" is the integrated GPU chip that runs off of the AMD CPU. It has no "dedicated" graphics processor and is using the CPU for both tasks.

the one with +7610m has an actual dedicated GPU, which is what you'd want. Hell, the CPU might perform better than the GPU dedicated for graphics processing, but that doesn't matter when it's being forced to do both tasks at the same time, bottle-necking itself.

edit: (I'm assuming this because the A10-4600m has integrated '7660g graphics', Providing links to the products you're talking about is a nice thing to do, please provide links and await feedback before purchasing.)

edit: Also the 7600 series is pretty bad in comparison to current generation cards, but then this is a $600 laptop, so asking for it to play current generation games at 60 fps is a bit much.

If you were to say have a solid budget for how much you can spend on a laptop, what would it be?
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Consuela

Post by Consuela »

i actually made a mistake, the laptop with the radeon 7660g graphics is an acer, and it has 10tb of ram. here are the links to both laptops:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... ageIndex=1

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ace ... 42052.aspx

my max budget would be around 650, unless there is one for 50 $ more thats really much better then the two i've come up with.

Thank you
Last edited by Consuela on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.