Advice on a processor/ keyboard

TechieGee
Veteran

Re: Advice on a processor/ keyboard

Post by TechieGee »

What an interesting mix of AMD hate and promotion.
But yeah, go AMD. Pretty sure their Phenom quad cores and FX 8 cores are great performance-wise (obv. not like high tier i5 performance.) And you don't want a damn 250 dollar CPU and a super keyboard.
Get this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18b3a

Oh, and a bit of a rant. It's not fucking hard to get your specs; it takes 30 seconds to check with 'dxdiag.'
Last edited by TechieGee on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need any help, just shoot me an email!
techie.gee@gmail.com
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

TechieGee wrote:Pretty sure their Phenom quad cores and FX 8 cores are great performance-wise'
Meh, AMD's "8 cores" are literally 4 real cores with 2 integer processors shoved into each one to double the thread count. That, mixed with the fact that literally no game (nor most programs) will take advantage of them either will mean despite their processing potential, they won't perform as well as their Intel counter parts that focus on making each individual core work as well as possible. It also doesn't help that if it's utilizing a pair of cores at the same time ( 0 and 1 are paired, 2 and 3 are paired, and so on) they're sharing their resources which significantly slows their processing ability, and you can only really pull the full power out of 1 core out of the pair at a time without slowing down that processing thread.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... CPU%29.PNG

Notice that each "core", or "module" has an "integer cluster", which is what they count as their "core", however each set of two splits the resources of the module.

Anyhow, generally how I look at it, is if you're going to buy a dedicated GPU anyways, just get an intel CPU, because AMD's biggest plus is having the better integrated GPU, along with a fraction of intel's price. Which means that AMD works well for very cheap builds that you don't plan to upgrade in the next year or two.

I'm actually tempted to build a general/guest PC to throw linux or something on for around $400 or something. But then I'd have to buy the damn thing a monitor, oh well.
Last edited by soulharvester on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TechieGee
Veteran

Post by TechieGee »

Ah I see. But even disregarding the integrated GPU, AMD is rock-solid for budget builds. Yes, Intel beats them in performance, but for twice the price. I say go with the AMD Phenom and the GPU. You get graphics and processing at a budget.
Last edited by TechieGee on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need any help, just shoot me an email!
techie.gee@gmail.com
Cogsworth

Post by Cogsworth »

I really should have said this earlier, but I already have a Geforce GTX+9800, I got it a couple months ago, and about the specs, I hould be able to get them by them end of the week.
Last edited by Cogsworth on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Yeah that's kind of important because that means we're going with an I3 ivybridge.
Last edited by soulharvester on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

512 mb of memory on that gpu. Won't get you far, but it should be alright for tf2.

If you can stretch your budget, an i5 is worth it. I believe all i3s are dual core while i5s are quad core for the most part.
Last edited by goinundercover on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Uh, Having lots of video RAM just means it isn't using up your system's RAM. The GPU is fine for his current budget, and allows us to tack an I3 into the build.
Last edited by soulharvester on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skibur

Post by Skibur »

TechieGee wrote:What an interesting mix of AMD hate and promotion.
But yeah, go AMD. Pretty sure their Phenom quad cores and FX 8 cores are great performance-wise (obv. not like high tier i5 performance.) And you don't want a damn 250 dollar CPU and a super keyboard.
Get this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18b3a

Oh, and a bit of a rant. It's not fucking hard to get your specs; it takes 30 seconds to check with 'dxdiag.'
I am currently using AMD FX 8120 (Octacores) processor and I have to say they suck. They're bottomnecked. My previous core (Which now being used as a render farm) is AMD Phenom II x6 1055T and it outperform better than FX 8120.

If I were you, based on your motherboard socket, get Intel i5 quad core (3500+) or AMD Phenom II x4+. IN terms of gaming, it has to do with your graphic card, not your cpu processing. (Though, multi-task and cpu processing application may apply - Do your research on benchmark and performance)
Last edited by Skibur on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dick_McSlick

Post by Dick_McSlick »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116775 <-- My processor

I run a i3 3220 clocked at 3.3 GhZ and I have had no issues yet. If you want an i5, you could try Haswell, but they are pricey and only run so much faster then an Ivy Bridge, by that I mean 5-10 fps faster and Haswell is clocked at a slower speed then an Ivy Bridge, but preforms better then an Ivy Bridge. Keyboard wise, I would go wired because wireless is kind of annoying to deal with, losing the little USB that connects your keyboard or mouse and you are fucked.

Here are some keyboards that could work for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823201042

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823129005

Anyways, good luck :3
Last edited by Dick_McSlick on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I'll drive, close both my eyes. We'll swim in circles in the blue lights, it's gonna be the best day of my life
Need to contact me? Click the GIF below :3.

soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Uh, FPS is not generally a measurement used to differentiate between similar processors.

Also, Haswell is only about around a 10% increase in perfomance over ivybridge, however they seem to be pretty similar prices. As well, Haswell's main goal was to reduce the total amount of energy used by a system and thus help preserve a mobile device's battery, or save you money on your electricity build, which it's accomplished.