Lock me.

Pheonix

Lock me.

Post by Pheonix »

Recently, I formatted my hard drive so I could fix it, but I forgot to check my specs before erasing everything...
Now, I have no idea what the hell they are and I need ways to get them. I have checked google, but the only solution I have come across is Linux, which is a beast in itself. If there is any other way to check them, please tell me. The only other solution I can think of is disassembling my computer, which is a LAST RESORT.
Last edited by Pheonix on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
DutchKitty
Veteran

Re: Ways to gather specs on computer without an OS?

Post by DutchKitty »

well if you build the damn thing yourself you should already know them. But no there probably isn't a way without an OS. Dis assemble that bitch
Last edited by DutchKitty on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

My brother built the comp and he isnt available all the time, but I still doubt he rememers the exact specs.

While i'm at it, what drivers do I need to get an OS running apart from graphics/motherboard/sound?
Last edited by Pheonix on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DutchKitty
Veteran

Post by DutchKitty »

idk much about this stuff man just wait for soul to respond
Last edited by DutchKitty on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hipster_Trip

Post by Hipster_Trip »

Why do you need to know your specs in the first place?
Last edited by Hipster_Trip on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Well, every time I put in a win7 disk, it came up to a System Recovery window. I didnt know why, and it told me if the Os wasnt listed to load drivers. My brother just came over and told me it wasnt normal if the HDD was formatted to have that happen, so im formatting it again ina more indepth approach. Ill get back to the thread if it isnt fixed. For now, i dont need replies.
Last edited by Pheonix on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

What the hell did you do? Jesus christ, the easiest method of formatting is to boot from the CD drive and choose "clean install" or w/e option that formats the drive before installing the OS.

You shouldn't need drivers before you've installed the OS, everything should be plug-n-play compatibility (So long as the parts are compatible and working) wise up up to the point that you have an OS installed, in which case that operating system will need specific drivers to interact with your specific hardware, however for the most case your drivers come on a disk with the motherboard or other hardware you've purchased, and you can always look online for updated drivers later (this being most relevant for GPU drivers).

I'm guessing that you ran some weird formatting program or something and now windows is trying to repair a half-deleted version of itself.
Last edited by soulharvester on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

In short, I used DBaN, Dariks Boot and Nuke, to format my C drive. Only problem is i chose Dod short. im guessing that it didnt clear all info, and im doing a full DoD currently. As I said, I dont need replies right now. If its not fixed, ill prob try a diff program or get a new harddrive.Btw, im a cheapskate and im using a cracked Win7 to try and install.
Last edited by Pheonix on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MusicalEclipse

Post by MusicalEclipse »

Pheonix wrote:In short, I used DBaN, Dariks Boot and Nuke, to format my C drive. Only problem is i chose Dod short. im guessing that it didnt clear all info, and im doing a full DoD currently. As I said, I dont need replies right now. If its not fixed, ill prob try a diff program or get a new harddrive.Btw, im a cheapskate and im using a cracked Win7 to try and install.
Paying for Windows 7, lol (props). I'd let the computer go through a system recovery attempt so it at least functions. If you manage to get into a safe mode state or actually install Windows 7, reinstall with a complete format of your hard drive during the installation procedure.
Last edited by MusicalEclipse on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Easy fix: Don't get an illegal version of your fucking operating system.
Last edited by soulharvester on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.