Wireless wifi adapter

Sankoose120

Re: Wireless wifi adapter

Post by Sankoose120 »

DutchKitty wrote:
Mike_Hunt wrote:I realize its cheap, and that's what I'd honestly rather go for, it's just that there's no way for me to wire it through the house
There is a way, you could put it along the wall and cover it up. And depending on your house layout you could put it through a roof. Mine goes under the house in through my wall to the thing you plug it into then to my computer. THAT was a pain in the ass
I am in the same position as him as my comp is opposite side of the house and a floor up. I got a long ass ethernet cable made for me and drilled a hole above my router and followed it through to my attic which I then drilled a hole in the sealing of my room and brought it through there. it took less than an hour to set up.
Last edited by Sankoose120 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

There is absolutely no way my parents will let me run a wire through the house.
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sankoose120

Post by Sankoose120 »

Move your router to your room :P
Last edited by Sankoose120 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom
Veteran

Post by Phantom »

I'm almost positive that like most new motherboards just come integrated with wireless capabilities? Have you not tried setting up the wireless on the desktop already?
Last edited by Phantom on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
EngiDesu wrote:And I get to see this lovely piece of shit
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

Mine doesn't
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

I'm thinking about getting this. I've been reading the reviews and it seems to be faster and more reliable than a USB adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008F537K ... r=8-1&vs=1
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Are you willing to install an adapter into a PCI or PCI-E slot? Because that'd be preferable to a USB slot if you have any available. (Unless you wanted to be able to share the adapter around with other people, though with a desktop that's not as likely, I'd assume, though it's more so up to you.)

TL:DR Do you have any PCI or PCI-E slots available?

Edit: That TRENDnet thing's pretty chill, though it's still a wireless connection, though it appears to be a quality one. It also takes up an additional 2 outlets (and an additional per ethernet cord you set up for it). If you already have a WifI connection I'd have to suggest you just get a good PCI or PCI-E adapter.

edit: If you have a PCI-E slot, this looks pretty rock solid: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166076

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166051 Should work for a PCI slot, though unlike it's PCI-E counterpart it only supports 2.4GHZ bands instead of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If you have a PCI-E slot available I'd have to recommend the N900 over the N300.

Either way, make sure you install the drivers and such and set them up properly.
Last edited by soulharvester on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

Idk if I have a pci slot on my motherboard, I'll check now. How much do pci adapters usually go for?

Edit: I do have a free pci slot
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Though to be honest the Trendnet thing is also a good option for sure, doesn't require any additional drivers or network tweaking really, just plug-n-play, and doesn't rely on your router's wifi capabilities, making it that much more appealing in general. So if you'd prefer a simpler deal than installing a PCI(e) adapter it's a good option.
Last edited by soulharvester on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

I mean I like the idea of the pci, it's just that I only have a certain budget, and with the reviews and the plug n play with the trendnet, that really caught my eye
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.