Wireless wifi adapter

soulharvester
Veteran

Re: Wireless wifi adapter

Post by soulharvester »

You could find a PCI adapter for less than trendnet's adapter kit, the one I linked is, and you'll also have to use an additional two ethernet cables to link it all together. Though the adapter kit seems relatively pain-free, and doesn't rely on your router's wireless capabilities, which I'm unaware of.
Last edited by soulharvester on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

Is there any software to download with the pci adapter? Or is it just you clip it in and directly connect to the Internet, and you said you linked one, if so, I didn't get it. And which one would have constantly better Internet speeds? The pci or trendnet?
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

I linked this previously: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 833166051a

Though I want to say the trendnet would be more consistent.
Last edited by soulharvester on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

I think I'm just gonna go with te trendnet, I have an Electra wall outlet right next to my router, and the trendnet acts just like an ethernet cable.
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

I was in the same predicament that you were in awhile ago. If I knew about that trendnet, I wouldn't have two wifi adapters laying around the house.
I bought a generic one off ebay which works suprisingly well for 7 dollars, but my computer was placed on the other side of my house. Only good for web browsing or gaming with 100+ ping. I later bought a TP-LINK TL-WN722N from amazon for fifteen bucks or so. Gaming with this one is fine, but the software included is a little bit clunky.
IMHO, I'd get a pci(e) one. so your computer is not totally tethered to ethernet support. You can find plenty of newegg for sub-$60, and some are dual band 2.4/5ghz also.

The Trendnet and PCI-E are both great options. Don't shoot for usb, though. Most of them can only hold up to web browsing.
Last edited by goinundercover on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

Until I get money for it, I'll eventually buy the trendnet, but right now I'm tethering with my laptop, and I'm getting great connection with it! Thanks a ton for the help guys!