Laptop Problem

iPhone 6

Laptop Problem

Post by iPhone 6 »

I was using my laptop just to look a PDF file for my homework and my laptop was on my bed and it somehow overheated and when I tried to turn it back on windows wanted to do a start up repair so I did but now it's stuck on a black screen with the cursor and it's been like this for a bit... I'm not really sure what I should do
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Re: Laptop Problem

Post by soulharvester »

iPhone 5 wrote:and it somehow overheated
iPhone 5 wrote:my laptop was on my bed
Well that explains the over-heating problem, try to use flat surfaces so that the fans won't get blocked, your laptop needs access to air for it to cool, if you block the vents it overheats.
iPhone 5 wrote:I was using my laptop just to look a PDF file for my homework and my laptop was on my bed and it somehow overheated and when I tried to turn it back on windows wanted to do a start up repair so I did but now it's stuck on a black screen with the cursor and it's been like this for a bit... I'm not really sure what I should do
Sounds like you broke the OS, must have corrupted a critical file or something when it crashed. Try to boot linux off a flash drive and or CD to backup your files, then put the Windows installation disk and attempt to repair windows again with that, if that doesn't work you'll likely have to windows. If you're lucky you can reinstall it without formating anything, and all your old files will still be in a new folder on your C: drive.
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

On my blue screen I got this error I think it's bad...
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Backup files, reinstall windows.
Last edited by goinundercover on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

goinundercover wrote:Backup files, reinstall windows.
how can i backup my files if i cant enter the computer... many sites are suggesting that i use check disk but im not sure how to use it
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Boot into linux and copy over your files to another hard drive or something. You can also take out the HDD and put it into a hotswap bay or something.
Last edited by goinundercover on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

goinundercover wrote:Boot into linux and copy over your files to another hard drive or something. You can also take out the HDD and put it into a hotswap bay or something.
im not sure how to find my files now that im in linux
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

i think my harddrive is just broken is there any way to repair it
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

iPhone 5 wrote:i think my harddrive is just broken is there any way to repair it
Uh, yeah the problem is definitely your hard drive, and not really a broken hard drive is a broken hard drive. You can't really open it up and fix it yourself.

Is it still under warranty? You might be able to have the whole thing replaced since the problem is a hardware failure and not something like having dropped it and cracking the screen.

edit: Might just have caused a fault in the drive's file system making it unusable for windows, open up this thread (ignore the OP) and follow sonex and saga's advice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27252 ... lume-winxp
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

Ya I bought an extended warranty I just didn't wanna bring it in because I know how long those guys take but thanks for your help

Edit: I had a system repair disc I had made when I got the laptop a year a ago and that didn't work either
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.