PC Build Advice

soulharvester
Veteran

Re: PC Build Advice

Post by soulharvester »

I've never seen someone recommend a PowerColor GPU before, also the difference between the 7950 and the R9 270X isn't worth the $35 price increase.

Also AMD chips aren't simply 'weaker pore core', they litterally label a single core as '2 cores' because they shoved 2 logical processors into it (which share the rest of the resources of the core), which means that if a program (or programs) utilize 2 of the logical cores in a single core, it's going to dramatically decrease the performance on both logical cores.

It's a tri-core with hardware forced hyper-threading, essentially. And yes, they can potentially perform nearly as well as Intel, if a program can utilize all of the cores it has. Most games don't use very many cores/threads, therefore single-threaded performance ends up being more important.
Last edited by soulharvester on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

So, what I need is an intel CPU, but I want to stick with the price range of the 7950. Can that be done?
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/295QA
You could try Ivy bridge.
Last edited by goinundercover on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

man, now if i could only snag that Sapphire 7950, or any good card for around $200, ill be set
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

The biggest difference between the build I suggested and the one 2 posts above, is that he put in a graphics card that gets about 5-6 more FPS on average, for an extra $60, but then set you up with a last-generation I5 on a dead socket for about $30 less, which locks you into ivy-bridge, if you ever wanted to upgrade beyond the I5-3330.

But hey, I could just do what he did and drop a PSU in there that shows a price of $30, to make my build look cheaper. Still going to have to pay $6 or so on shipping, though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
Last edited by soulharvester on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dick_McSlick

Post by Dick_McSlick »

Sorry I'm tardy to this party, so I thought I could try to make one for you if you haven't purchased one yet.

Price Range?

Building or Pre-Built?

Red or Blue? (Yes this is a serious question)
Last edited by Dick_McSlick on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I'll drive, close both my eyes. We'll swim in circles in the blue lights, it's gonna be the best day of my life
Need to contact me? Click the GIF below :3.

Phantom
Veteran

Post by Phantom »

Dick_McSlick wrote:Sorry I'm tardy to this party, so I thought I could try to make one for you if you haven't purchased one yet.

Price Range?

Building or Pre-Built?

Red or Blue? (Yes this is a serious question)
He's already answered all this shit. Read the thread before you post.
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EngiDesu wrote:And I get to see this lovely piece of shit
Dick_McSlick

Post by Dick_McSlick »

Phantom wrote: He's already answered all this shit. Read the thread before you post.
Never saw any specifications on that, but now I see, sorry.

But anyways, I don't think there is anyway to have an i5 and a 7950 due to pricing, unless you score big time on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, which isn't doubtful, but an i3 ain't bad unless you like to multi task. Right now, a decent build like this one (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/29zDv) and upgrading in the future would be good. You might want to bump the PSU to 700 if you need extra power for other additions, but this should be good for all the games you listed. The 7870 is a good GPU as well, but if you want the 7950, by all means, go for it, Micheal.

I play GTA with a GPU lower than the one I selected and GTA4 runs smooth, so does GO, I get 200fps in GO with a 7850, so you should be set for awhile with the 7870.
Last edited by Dick_McSlick on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Someday I'll drive, close both my eyes. We'll swim in circles in the blue lights, it's gonna be the best day of my life
Need to contact me? Click the GIF below :3.

Mike_Hunt

Post by Mike_Hunt »

I think i've settled on this build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/29i2y
With the resolution im at (1680x1050), I should be able to run pretty much any game i throw at it on ultra.
Thanks for the help guys!
Last edited by Mike_Hunt on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Dick_McSlick wrote:Dick trying to be helpful with building computer stuff
Please don't.
Last edited by soulharvester on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.