Boot taking forever with an SSD.

Crazy

Boot taking forever with an SSD.

Post by Crazy »

I have a problem that wasn't there since I first built my PC. I have 2 256GB SSD's and a 1TB HDD. I have set the correct SSD to the first boot priority, but after my bios splash screen, there's a Underscore on the top left corner flickering, it stays there for about 20 seconds before then booting to my OS.

Any Ideas? Its not a huge deal, but its annoying having an SSD and not booting up quickly.
Last edited by Crazy on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Re: Boot taking forever with an SSD.

Post by soulharvester »

Have you added new hardware recently?

My boot time increases by about 10 seconds if I leave my Optical drive installed in my laptop.
Last edited by soulharvester on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy

Post by Crazy »

No, same specs.

Factal Design Define R4
Intel Core i7 4770K
Noctua NH-D14
Asus Z97-A
32GB Patriot Viper 3 1866 Ram
Asus GTX760 2GB (SLI)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (2 Drives)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Corsair RM750 PSU
Last edited by Crazy on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Are you currently running any RAID configuration? I would guess BIOS/UEFI problem, but you didn't have this problem when you first built your computer, so I'm somewhat doubting that.
Last edited by goinundercover on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
Shewnn

Post by Shewnn »

Crazy wrote:I have a problem that wasn't there since I first built my PC. I have 2 256GB SSD's and a 1TB HDD. I have set the correct SSD to the first boot priority, but after my bios splash screen, there's a Underscore on the top left corner flickering, it stays there for about 20 seconds before then booting to my OS.

Any Ideas? Its not a huge deal, but its annoying having an SSD and not booting up quickly.
I had an issue where I needed to update the SSD itself due to an internal issue. Try and see if there are any known issues with yours and any flash updates for it... if that is not the issue also see if there is an update to the systems Bios. You can also reset the bios to factory settings and manually reconfiguring your boot sequence. I would make sure you do not have any media in your cd/dvd player(s) as well as if they are in the boot sequence prior to the SSD, it will spin them to determine if it is a bootable device.

WARNING: Double and triple check the updates and feedback before applying any of them, and even then... back up your data.

EDIT: Check AHCI in the bios and toggle it to on / off and see if it affects the boot. It should be on, but see if that affects your boot time.
Last edited by Shewnn on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amishbull
Veteran

Post by amishbull »

It might be Windows waiting to see if you're going to hit some key to use an alternate boot up sequence. Let Windows load up then try to find something like System Properties> Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Or check your boot.ini file if you're more computer savvy.
Last edited by amishbull on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy

Post by Crazy »

My keyboard apparently was not being detected, and it was waiting for me to press F1, I disabled it and it went back to normal
Last edited by Crazy on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Crazy wrote:My keyboard apparently was not being detected, and it was waiting for me to press F1, I disabled it and it went back to normal
Weird but alright.
Retired.