New beast, WIP

soulharvester
Veteran

Re: New beast, WIP

Post by soulharvester »

MartijnV wrote:I disagree with most of above here,
But the best thing you can do is spreading the GB's over much sticks as possible
I don't understand how maximizing the chance of getting or developing bad RAM for no increased performance and usually higher price is the best thing you can do, I really don't.

RAM is limited by Bus speed, one Bus per stick up to the maximum supported number of Buses is the best you can get, the amount of "Channels" declares the number of RAM data Bus(s) on the board.

Thus you receive no benefit in having 4 or 8 RAM sticks on a dual channel motherboard, as it's simply using half of the ram per Bus.

The only way it really makes sense is if you plan to upgrade your RAM to a larger capacity in the future and don't want to invest in it immediately, in which case you get half of what you want to have in the end, and then double it when you can afford too.

ex: You want 32GB total, but can't afford it atm, and you have a Dual Channel board with 4 slots, so you get 2 8GB sticks, and put them in the proper configuration for Dual Channel. Then later on when you can/want to buy the rest, you get (Ideally) the same 2 sticks from before and put them in the remaining slots, thus doubling the RAM capacity, though not it's operational speed.

Typically large amounts of RAM is used for servers, workstation builds, or people who love using RAM Disc for whatever reason.

edit: Anyways the build looks P good for the most part. Though if you're planning on those 2 separate HDDs you're getting being permanent drives for that build, you might consider getting 2 of the same HDDs and putting them in RAID 0 or something to increase their read/write speed for shits and giggles.
Last edited by soulharvester on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

The type/model of RAM i got now is allready a bit old, but because of the space i got until i hit my CPU fan i need a low-profile RAM, that was the only one in my price range there was, otherwise it became arround €150 more........ anyhow, IF im replacing my RAM at some moment (maybe even up to 32gb) im gonna replace all sticks at once.

About the raid option, i looked to that one, but if something happens to 1 disc, i lose both discs due the raid thingy, and i choosed specialy seperate discs to keep clear games and such; and regular using, editing, storing photo's, downloads, movies etc.
Last edited by MartijnV on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Oh, you're in the Netherlands, I forgot that electronics still fall under "Witchcraft" taxes in the EU thus causing the prices to be vastly different from here.
Last edited by soulharvester on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

goinundercover wrote:Haha, any decently custom-built PC is better than the ones off the shelves.
I disagree with most of above here,
But the best thing you can do is spreading the GB's over much sticks as possible
A lot of people think this, but it's a common misconception!

Simple google results:

*CUT*

And linus himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o
He is talking about color coding, the Z97-GD65 has over 4 slots the same color ?
Spoiler
And MSI say's itself that it supports, in this case ''quad'' channel kits.
Last edited by MartijnV on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Salute !

Also i have terms:
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

MartijnV wrote:And MSI say's itself that it supports, in this case ''quad'' channel kits.
It says that because a "quad channel kit" means it has 4 sticks of RAM, the Z97-GD65 does support 4 sticks of RAM, thus it supports the kit, it's just going to run them in Dual Channel, because that's how many channels it has on the board.

Also it's not color coded because they put a diagram on the board next to it instead.
Last edited by soulharvester on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

soulharvester wrote:
MartijnV wrote:I disagree with most of above here,
I don't understand how maximizing the chance of getting or developing bad RAM for no increased performance and usually higher price is the best thing you can do, I really don't.

*CUT*

Typically large amounts of RAM is used for servers, workstation builds, or people who love using RAM Disc for whatever reason.
You are saying that 16 GB is overkill ? i asked a friend of me if he can make a screenshot while playing a new-release random game...
Spoiler
Last edited by MartijnV on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salute !

Also i have terms:
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

I never said 16GB was over kill, though if you're only planning on gaming with it, in the vast majority of cases, it really is.

Personally I'd say it's the amount I'd prefer to get for a build just because I don't like bottle-necking myself like that, but for budget build's I'd normally shy away from it unless they have a specific reason to nearly double the price they're paying for RAM (Usually Video editting or 3D rendering work and stuff like that, typically also things that benefit from hyper-threading).

If you're happy paying the extra for the full 16GB, good for you, I have no qualms with that, I'm not going to say it's a waste of money because honestly you could find a use for it even if that use isn't going to be gaming.

Anyways, I'm going to stop responding to you after this post since you seem to be trying to pick random arguments for no real reason when I was just trying to point out that there was no advantage to getting 2 sticks over 4 on a dual channel motherboard.

(And no, I don't take your screenshot as evidence of games needing that much memory, especially since you failed to specify the game, and stated that it was "Random", which I truly fail to believe. If you'd like to post a screenshot of a game's .exe process utilizing over 6GB of RAM, I'd be much more inclined to believe you, but that's not what you provided.)
Last edited by soulharvester on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

I have never surpassed 6.5GB when gaming.

I'm assuming that there are lots of background tasks.
Last edited by goinundercover on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

goinundercover wrote:I have never surpassed 6.5GB when gaming.

I'm assuming that there are lots of background tasks.
This so much

+

Mini edit at the OP, new case and another fan, check ''EDIT 12* or the up-to-date-list
Last edited by MartijnV on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Salute !

Also i have terms:
Skibur

Post by Skibur »

I'd be happy to tell you that using Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB is a insanely fast SSD. I currently have one installed, swapped over from my old SSD (Which was pretty outdated by then) and it ran so fast. Boot windows 7 in about 10 sec.
Last edited by Skibur on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.