New beast, WIP

goinundercover
Veteran

Re: New beast, WIP

Post by goinundercover »

The MSI Z97-GD65 says multi-bios on the board. I can also see two bios chips, so it should have dual bios.
Last edited by goinundercover on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

Part prices fluctuate constantly and frequently, especially when new iterations/generations are released.

You should bump this thread when you're ready to buy with your budget and needs. Otherwise we're just wasting time looking up current prices and doing hardware/review comparisons.
Last edited by soulharvester on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
SakuraTheBabyfur

Post by SakuraTheBabyfur »

goinundercover wrote:The MSI Z97-GD65 says multi-bios on the board. I can also see two bios chips, so it should have dual bios.
ones a backup bios in case the other fucks up. theres a switch on the board to switch between them, at least on the z87
Last edited by SakuraTheBabyfur on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Survivor of the Gaymen Apocalypse 2015
Gaymen wrote:Forum ban? Is that like a band full of faggots like Armen.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

soulharvester wrote:.......You should bump this thread when you're ready to buy with your budget and needs. Otherwise we're just wasting time looking up current prices and doing hardware/review comparisons.

Yeah, pretty much this... im mostly done with looking for the possible parts wich im gonna use, im keeping a eye out for the proces and new parts releases...
So this treath will stay open (if allowed) so you guy's can reccomend possible parts if you spot a good one !
Last edited by MartijnV on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

Forgot that i had a savings account at my bank 0.o completed my final build-plan yesterday, got some better stuff, got a case and fans and such now, so here it is;

Case: Corsair Carbide spec-01 (red LED)
Power supply: Seasonic X-650 650W ATX23
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65 gaming (Found a Z97 version instead of a Z87 :thumbup:)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K (4.0GHz-4.4GHz and Overclockeble)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 4x4GB (BLE4CP4G3D1608DE1TX0 - UDIMM)
Video Card: MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G (4GB and 1.051 MHz)
SSD for booting: Samsung 840 Evo Series mSATA 250GB
HDD #1 for gaming only: WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB V2.0 (May swap)
HDD #2 for regular using: WD Black WD2003FZEX 2TB V2.0 (May swap)
Optical drive: LG BH16NS40 (Blu-ray, CD, DVD - read+write of all 3)

And to restrain all this brute force and it's heat it is generating :twisted: ... i got these to cool the monster;

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Seidon 120V (water cooler)
Front fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM - 140mm
top fans: 2x Noctua NF-S12A PWM - 120mm
thermal paste: Artic Silver 5

Fan controller: Akasa FC.SIX

For a total of €1957,27 / $2448,91, the price is way higher then my first try to calculate it, but those where the minimum prices, i had to sort out wich component i want to buy from what store....... because the minimum prices it showed the first time are from shops i don't trust TBH.

Planned purchase date; end January.

If you have a idea like; ''what a fool he is buying that and that, he can better buy this:'' don't be shy to reply here, i'm allway's in for comparing parts !
Last edited by MartijnV on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salute !

Also i have terms:
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

I've had to RMA one Seidon 120V due to a loud clicking noise.

The one I have now has a pretty loud pump, but it does undervolt very well. I hooked it up to my case's fan controller and put it on the lowest setting, which is 5v, I think. Temps didn't change much. The stock fan that comes with it is indeed loud - I've got a Noctua NF-F12 on mine and it's a lot quieter(but doesn't perform as well).

Keep in mind that the cheaper Hyper 212 Evo performs just as well as the Seidon 120V. I don't think your Carbide Spec-01 has the space for the Hyper 212, though.

And as a general PSA, I hope you know that watercooling:
1. Tends to make your room a little hotter.
2. Is not quieter than air cooling.
3. Has more points of failure when compared to air cooling.

I don't have any experience with the NF-S12A or A14s, but I think the A14s in the front may not work that well with the hard drive cage there - need more static pressure imo.

Not sure why 4x4GB when LGA1150 only supports dual channel.

Instead of switching out all the fans, I'd have gone for a nicer case, like the Define R4 or R5, dropped the thermal paste(the ones that comes with the cooler works just fine), and picked up a Hyper 212 Evo. Your motherboard has 3 fan headers, and the Define R5 has a simple fan controller as well, so you could drop the fan controller if you really wanted to.

Just my 0.02. Build should still work just fine, though.

//edit: What peripherals?
Last edited by goinundercover on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

goinundercover wrote:I've had to RMA one Seidon 120V due to a loud clicking noise.

The one I have now has a pretty loud pump, but it does undervolt very well. I hooked it up to my case's fan controller and put it on the lowest setting, which is 5v, I think. Temps didn't change much. The stock fan that comes with it is indeed loud - I've got a Noctua NF-F12 on mine and it's a lot quieter(but doesn't perform as well).

Keep in mind that the cheaper Hyper 212 Evo performs just as well as the Seidon 120V. I don't think your Carbide Spec-01 has the space for the Hyper 212, though.

And as a general PSA, I hope you know that watercooling:
1. Tends to make your room a little hotter.
2. Is not quieter than air cooling.
3. Has more points of failure when compared to air cooling.
I had a closer look at watercoolers in general, i heard the sound of them... i changed my mind in half a seccond and looked for a fan/block cpu cooler
goinundercover wrote:Not sure why 4x4GB when LGA1150 only supports dual channel.
4 bars of memory = dual ?? 2 bars is a single... and 6 bars is tripple (only supported by new gen high-end boards)
goinundercover wrote:Instead of switching out all the fans, I'd have gone for a nicer case, like the Define R4 or R5, dropped the thermal paste(the ones that comes with the cooler works just fine), and picked up a Hyper 212 Evo. Your motherboard has 3 fan headers, and the Define R5 has a simple fan controller as well, so you could drop the fan controller if you really wanted to.
I don't like the price for that kind of case TBH :l
goinundercover wrote://edit: What peripherals?

Outside of my pc:

USB related material:
* Simple/basic mouse + gaming mouse for backup > in USB 2.0 port
* Simple/basic keyboard > in USB 2.0 port
* Dongle for a/my xbox360 controller for gaming with controller on my computer > in USB 3.0 port
* Dj Deck for VDJ/music > in USB 3.0 port
* CM Storm Sirus 5.1 surround headset (2x usb) > in USB 3.0 ports
* External phone docking station+build-in cardreader > in USB 2.0 port
* External harddrive 1,5TB > in USB 3.0 port from the xbox360 dongle when i need my hardrive

Monitor & belongings:
* Computer HDMI out + interactive tv device HDMI Out > HDMI switch > HDMI main 24" monitor
* VGA computer out + VGA xbox360 out > VGA switch > VGA seccond 22" monitor

Update under *EDIT 6* at OP.
Last edited by MartijnV on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Salute !

Also i have terms:
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

I had a closer look at watercoolers in general, i heard the sound of them... i changed my mind in half a seccond and looked for a fan/block cpu cooler
Do you know which models you listened to?
4 bars of memory = dual ?? 2 bars is a single... and 6 bars is tripple (only supported by new gen high-end boards)
Dual channel can be used with 2 sticks and 4 sticks. Single channel is 1 stick(or any # of sticks, if the platform only supports single). Triple channel isn't used much anymore(was on the first generation Core i# series) can use 3 or 6. Quad channel, which is what LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 use, can take advantage of 4 sticks, or go all the way to 8.

Your sticks will run in dual channel, as LGA1150 doesn't have triple of quad channel memory technology. I usually would go for 2 sticks of RAM, so that if I ever need it (highly doubt you'll need 16GB though), you can upgrade by adding in another two sticks.
I don't like the price for that kind of case TBH :l
Well, it's a bit pricy, but for some people the sound dampening and thicker/higher quality metal and finish is worth it.
Last edited by goinundercover on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

goinundercover wrote:Do you know which models you listened to?
Different brands, like CM, corsair, and some others, from all also different models...

goinundercover wrote:Dual channel can be used with 2 sticks and 4 sticks. Single channel is 1 stick(or any # of sticks, if the platform only supports single). Triple channel isn't used much anymore(was on the first generation Core i# series) can use 3 or 6. Quad channel, which is what LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 use, can take advantage of 4 sticks, or go all the way to 8.

Your sticks will run in dual channel, as LGA1150 doesn't have triple of quad channel memory technology. I usually would go for 2 sticks of RAM, so that if I ever need it (highly doubt you'll need 16GB though), you can upgrade by adding in another two sticks.
I disagree with most of above here,
But the best thing you can do is spreading the GB's over much sticks as possible

goinundercover wrote:Well, it's a bit pricy, but for some people the sound dampening and thicker/higher quality metal and finish is worth it.
At least not worth-it for me, im used to my ''temporary'' budget pc, wich i got allready 4 years :p but this one is loud as fuck with a cheap-ass case... So stuff i don't have/accustomed to it, isn't needed for me personally

OP is updated to 10+11.
Last edited by MartijnV on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Salute !

Also i have terms:
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Haha, any decently custom-built PC is better than the ones off the shelves.
I disagree with most of above here,
But the best thing you can do is spreading the GB's over much sticks as possible
A lot of people think this, but it's a common misconception!

Simple google results:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... -ddr3.html

http://superuser.com/questions/110031/i ... -gb-of-ram

And linus himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o
Last edited by goinundercover on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.