New build!

Mitch
Server Admin

Re: New build!

Post by Mitch »

goinundercover wrote:
Mitch wrote:
MoneyKidKing wrote:I personally wouldn't have gotten such low clock memory, but I suppose if the machine is only being used to play games it's fine.
I obtained the memory free from my dad's work. Since my budget was only 1,100 (i needed at least 100$ to survive for the next 2 weeks lol.) i decided to get the things i couldn't afford later on. Plus my birthday is this friday, maybe i can get my parents to get me some better ram. lol.
It probably would only make a really small difference, and definitely not worth the cost.
Yeah 200$ for 16gb doesnt seem worth it. I can tell the memory is slowing down my new pc, only because i seem to use up a lot of it running a test server, and a game at once. Plus all my many background applications, especially chrome which uses up a lot of my memory. I get paid this friday so i might spend some of that to buy a liquid cooler for my cpu (and hopefully get rid of that damn noise the stock cooler makes.) and the new ram.
Last edited by Mitch on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Last edited by goinundercover on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Free is free, my dad brought it from work and i really wanted to get the build asap, its not much of the size but the speed of the ram, i have to wait for the memory to respond, which makes garabage collection build up more.
I would plan on getting this kit: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4310 ... y_Modules)
it is 2400Hz, which is why its so expensive, plus i have a microcenter local, so i dont have to pay for shipping or wait a week.
Last edited by Mitch on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Ugh that's so expensive lol.

You also have to keep in mind that an increase of memory frequency is also an increase in memory timing - most notably the CAS 11. I suppose it really depends if your workload is affected by memory frequency, but as far as I know an increase in RAM frequency only helps if you're doing something with the integrated graphics or are doing lots of rendering.
Retired.
Skibur

Post by Skibur »

Mitch wrote:
MartijnV wrote:Sadly you got the GTX970... Shitloads of problems with that board at the moment
what do you expect from a ~$250 less gpu from it's counter-part 980..
I haven't had any issues with my gpu.
There's a discussion going on around where people are reported to have issue running GTX 970 when they hit 3.5 GB of VRAM. Apparently the last 0.5 GB of ram is causing some unstable behavior on the video card. So beware of that.

I am going to invest getting a GTX 980 soon, and then a modular PSU. Will keep it updated.
Last edited by Skibur on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Skibur wrote:
Mitch wrote:
MartijnV wrote:Sadly you got the GTX970... Shitloads of problems with that board at the moment
what do you expect from a ~$250 less gpu from it's counter-part 980..
I haven't had any issues with my gpu.
There's a discussion going on around where people are reported to have issue running GTX 970 when they hit 3.5 GB of VRAM. Apparently the last 0.5 GB of ram is causing some unstable behavior on the video card. So beware of that.

I am going to invest getting a GTX 980 soon, and then a modular PSU. Will keep it updated.
The GTX 970 is a cut-down GTX 980. With maxwell, they were able to "partially disable" a ROP controller instead of fully disabling it. Previous architectures did not allow such fine control - it was usually enabled or disabled. If it was fully disabled, the GTX 970 would only have 3GBs of VRAM. By partially disabling it, the GTX 970 is able to use 4GBs of VRAM, but there's a catch. 3.5GBs is fully accessible, but the last .5GBs is in a separate partition which is slowed down due to the lack of ROPs. Keep in mind that the last .5GBs of VRAM is still faster than going to system memory.

Some sources you should look at:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/gefo ... allocation
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C ... erformance
Retired.