Just a quick question. :P

presto40
Veteran

Just a quick question. :P

Post by presto40 »

Will using a Separate USB port on my PC make my mic sound Better? My mic is ass, and most of you know this. and i heard rumors that this would help, so i thought i'd ask some people who know better than i do. :)

Thanks <3

also: This only seems to be a Problem on TF2, In other apps, such as Steam chat or Skype, It is fine. But in a TF2 server or any game server, It is very ...loud and Static filled.

I just want my mic to work, And would appreciate some wise words. :)
Last edited by presto40 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- PrestoThePirate
When Presto gets the booty.
ChaoticSlink

Re: Just a quick question. :P

Post by ChaoticSlink »

Only if the other port is faulty/having issues, otherwise it shouldn't really make a difference unless it has to do with driver errors. It'd probably re-install the drivers by changing the port, every pc is different when it comes to that though.

Also TF2 has a really poor mic quality in general, so a shitty mic will sound twice as shitty in TF2. A good mic sounds alright in TF2.
Last edited by ChaoticSlink on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wrote that when I was drunk... Playing* Hahahah, beautiful. I'm not even gonna fix it.
Dubstab
Veteran

Post by Dubstab »

Now.. Usually I am not an expert on computer things. (Don't get me wrong: I'm not that dumb user either.)

But have you tried "voice_loopback 1" in console to listen to yourself and test the difference?
presto40
Veteran

Post by presto40 »

I always Use voice_loopback. My mic was actually working fine up until a couple days ago, the day before my surgery, then I tried to use it today and it just sucked ass. So i dunno, maybe i need a new mic in general.
- PrestoThePirate
Skibur

Post by Skibur »

The culprit lies with your Microphone, if it has changed it's quality over the time being used.
Your USB Ports has nothing to do with this, unless you opened your computer up and accidentally unplugged or loosened the USB connection on your motherboard.
presto40
Veteran

Post by presto40 »

Ok, so i do need a new Mic, I will look into that in the future :) Thanks
- PrestoThePirate
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Yep, sounds like the microphone is the culprit.

Since it's a USB microphone, there is an analog to digital signal converter inside. Digital signals aren't really affected by interference, so plugging it into various USB ports would not work.
Retired.
Mr.Cat

Post by Mr.Cat »

Digitial signals are in fact susceptible to interference.

With USB devices that share the same hub can be affected by faulty devices on that hub. Usually USB mics/headsets it's the USB dongle that goes bad before anything else. It's also common for motherboards to have at least two controllers for USB, one for slower 1.0/1.1 ports and another for 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Switching problem devices away from the rest accordingly can sometimes help, but it's still a sign of a larger problem that should be remedied.

Sometimes glitchy audio and poor peripheral device performance can also be caused by power-drain issues on the USB hub. if you have a lot of peripherals on the USB ports, particularly those that may drain more power- like back-lit keyboards and mice, wifi adapters, external drives, and wireless audio peripherals this can cause issues too, a powered USB hub can sometimes solve this issue.

If you haven't added anything new before noticing this issue however, chances are it is the mic failing. I'd recommend one that uses the standard stereo phono jacks anyway, unless you really do need it to be wireless.
Last edited by Mr.Cat on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Well, digital signals are susceptible to interference but are significantly less so when compared to analog signals. This is often why the front 3.5mm ports on your computer may have staticy noises while the back ports do not. The front HD audio header that routes past all the power supply wires and through the case often picks up a ton of interference.

I too, would go with a mic that uses the standard stereo phono jacks unless your onboard audio chipset is really bad.
Retired.