Buying a laptop, I only have $400. Need Advice!

Candyman
Veteran

Buying a laptop, I only have $400. Need Advice!

Post by Candyman »

Hey guys im planning on buying a laptop. Now I only have $400 literally to spend. A laptop that I can play a game like GO or a game like it without it lagging, and you know maybe watch a movie from time to time on it also, etc. I have a link from a bestbuy website that i was looking at from what i can afford, or if you have other laptops ill take into consideration. Thanks for your time.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/la ... 2524399.99
Image I hate this idea that you're the best. Because you're not. I'm the best, I'm the best in the world!!
Drewski
Veteran

Re: Buying a laptop, I only have $400. Need Advice!

Post by Drewski »

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Black-15 ... 1/36976916

While that is at the very top of your budget, I'm very sure it will be able to run CS:GO and TF2 without lag unless your internet is having a bad day. This is also just about the same specs as on my desktop (expect for the windows 8)

And the only problem is windows 8 is on it.
Last edited by Drewski on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Add me on steam! Click the globe icon to go to my profile!
PC Specs
Candyman
Veteran

Post by Candyman »

quick question. im not good with windows but whats the prob with windows 8?
Image I hate this idea that you're the best. Because you're not. I'm the best, I'm the best in the world!!
Drewski
Veteran

Post by Drewski »

Candyman wrote:quick question. im not good with windows but whats the prob with windows 8?
Well this is just my Personal preference but, all of my life I've been with Windows Vista/Windows 7. And when Windows 8 was released , I was so confused and I feel the interface is not as user friendly as windows 7 was. It least in my thought. When I get my Gaming PC sometime in the future, it WILL have windows 7 on it.
Last edited by Drewski on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC Specs
Dubstab
Veteran

Post by Dubstab »

Candyman wrote:quick question. im not good with windows but whats the prob with windows 8?
Indeed personal choice. I would go for 7 as well. I expected it to be user friendly, but searching for program settings and such is really odd. I dislike 8, because finding settings and the turn off button was hard 8.0. Now with 8.1 looking for the off button is easier, but from what I've seen: Everyone goes straight to the desktop version, not the.. "block" version?

TL;DR: Stick with 7. 8 is confusing
Last edited by Dubstab on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drewski
Veteran

Post by Drewski »

Dubstab wrote:
Indeed personal choice. I would go for 7 as well. I expected it to be user friendly, but searching for program settings and such is really odd. I dislike 8, because finding settings and the turn off button was hard 8.0. Now with 8.1 looking for the off button is easier, but from what I've seen: Everyone goes straight to the desktop version, not the.. "block" version?

TL;DR: Stick with 7. 8 is confusing
Me to lol. I could not find the power off button as well and every single time I've had to do a cold re-boot on the which I really don't like doing.
Last edited by Drewski on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC Specs
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

Windows 8.1 is not that bad, if you really want a reworked desktop you can install something like starts. Also, how do people not know alt+R&D on their desktops?
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
ChaoticSlink

Post by ChaoticSlink »

MoneyKidKing wrote:Windows 8.1 is not that bad, if you really want a reworked desktop you can install something like starts. Also, how do people not know alt+R&D on their desktops?
Windows 8 is also much much faster and less CPU intense than 7, hence better frames. Just get classic shell or something for 8, and you'll be happy with a windows 7 interface, but windows 8 speed.
Drewski wrote:When I get my Gaming PC sometime in the future, it WILL have windows 7 on it.
Windows 10 has the start menu back, so just get that so you can get direct X 12 and have massive frame improvements.

As for laptops I can't help much, laptops aren't my thing, custom PC's are, however I would recommend getting one with windows 8 and getting a start mod. It will be much faster. Plus you can get 10 for free if you have 8, so why not, your pc will support DX12 then and your frames will be decent.
Last edited by ChaoticSlink on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wrote that when I was drunk... Playing* Hahahah, beautiful. I'm not even gonna fix it.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are fuckedup, it's someway heavy for like every computer, had it installed on my previous computer and it was slowlike shit, installed windows 7 and everything is just fine, i'll recommand W7
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
ChaoticSlink

Post by ChaoticSlink »

I looked into that one, it has integrated graphics, you're going to get shitty frames on it. Expect to use configs to make it playable, I'd recommend waiting and saving up a bit more cash for a better laptop with a Nvidia card in it, you'll be happier with an $800 laptop which has an actual graphics card in it, compared to that one that doesn't. If you can wait that is.

Edit: Also it only has an i3 processor that isn't even above 2GHz, even if say TF2 doesn't need a good graphics card, the cpu won't get you higher than minimum settings, and 20-30 frames.
Last edited by ChaoticSlink on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I wrote that when I was drunk... Playing* Hahahah, beautiful. I'm not even gonna fix it.