Spawncamping: Let's define it

SOUNDWAAVE

Spawncamping: Let's define it

Post by SOUNDWAAVE »

This post is mostly directed at Admins of and players who frequent the FF Idling servers.
As we all know, spawncamping is one of the biggest problems on the server, but I think it's such an issue because we haven't really made a good definition of it, so I want to hear your opinions along with mine, so that we can make some solid rules about how to deal with and define spawncamping by the end of this post.
My opinion:
1. People need to stop looking at spawncamping as such a bad thing. All it really is an annoyance. I've actually had fun “breaking” a spawncamp and getting back at the campers.
2. I think there are certainly situations that do and should result in a kick and ban of the player, but far too often I see Admins unnecessarily banning or kicking people who really aren't all that bad of people.
3. Ex. Of when I don't think you should kick/ban a player. When their intention is not a be a spawncamp, but rather just to play. At one point SpicyCandy kicked me when I shot him (as a sniper from the invisible path) outside, nearby his spawn. I do not think when there is not deliberate pursuit of annoyance or the person is just playing the game, they should not be banned, especially considering that there is a spawn exit almost everywhere on the map now.
4. Ex. Of when a player should be kicked/banned. When they CONTINUE to carry on with shooting down the spawn and attempting to purposely annoy the sever, with no intention of playing but more just trolling. A good example of this would be Jake myers. This activity could simply be done in the idle killing zone, but they want to annoy actual players.
My biggest concern is that you are banning people who may have otherwise been good to the sever and would be good to know.

I have almost no doubt that had I not made myself known on the sever through a mic, I would have been banned long ago, because of minor incidents. Maybe that's a good thing, but I'm not a bad person, and I play to have fun.

Tell me what you think
Last edited by SOUNDWAAVE on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SOUNDWAAVE
Dubstab
Veteran

Re: Spawncamping: Let's define it

Post by Dubstab »

Last edited by Dubstab on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SOUNDWAAVE

Post by SOUNDWAAVE »

SURE [NL] wrote:Also read other topics. http://www.disc-ff.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2828
I think this is part of the mentality that needs to change, I think that Fear is overreacting.
Last edited by SOUNDWAAVE on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOUNDWAAVE
lilsturbs

Post by lilsturbs »

Yes, I think spawn camping has its good and bad things. sometimes spawn camping is fun if both sides are doing it and everyone Is happy but there are those people who come into the idle server and troll ex. Jake Myer's where no one is happy. I think that spawn camping can be a bad thing because I really annoys when I walk into the open and get killed by a huntsman. spawn camping can be fun but it also can be annoying.
Last edited by lilsturbs on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Irufort

Post by Irufort »

i'm tired dealing with spawncampers. I wish there would be a day when people would just peacely sort out this kind of problem easily.
Of course, there are still scumbags around who just don't care at all about rules of "spawncamping" and then the kind of people who just didn't know at all about spawncamping yet they clearly done it.
I know it's fun..but only when its done with it's consequences not without it. I did spawncamping but i can hold back! If only those people out there can actually hold back...oh well
Last edited by Irufort on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End"
:( UnhappyCamper ):

Post by :( UnhappyCamper ): »

Hello guys. Just wanted to drop in and say hello and that I enjoy playing on your idle/trade servers, and will have to check out your other ones sometime too.

I just had a question/thought/suggestion/complaint. Every server is different and I try to do a quick server rules read when I drop on one, so I don't piss people off too much. I am a big kid and can usually babysit myself (I'm 38). Well your server rules didn't say anything about spawn camping, and the a player, For America, evidentially started doing it, and few of the other players, told him it wasn't allowed, and telling him they were screen capping him. And of course others would do it occasionally getting them all mad. They were also saying sniping from the surf area was a no-no, as was setting up sentries too close to spawn (which I can see the point of, but the 1st one they were complaining of was on the lower area where they would have to come out of their spawn, down the hallway, and around the wall before they could be hit.)

Eventually Choke showed up and the spawn camping is evidentially a big no-no to him and he kicked several because they wouldn't stop-which serves them right, because listening to admin is clearly in your rules. I had no problem with any of this. Choke seemed a little happy enforcing, and there was a slay-all for fun once or so, but I've been known to do a few /thunders back on my old DOD server, so I can relate.

The long winded point that I am getting at, is a broader definition of the rules available entering the server. Especially defining spawncamping. I come from DOD and it was always defined as literally killing you where you spawned. Here, people get mad if you shoot anywhere in the (\) area. Some get mad if you peg them right as you run out of one. Is it camping if you run up and shoot in it once and run off (I'm guilty of killing someone, and then running up to the hole I know they'll run out of to catch them off guard. Not even thinking, just mentally continuing the fight).

And do surf and sentry rules apply? If so, it be nice to be able to reference them instead of having nonmembers acting like Barney Fifes, swearing everything they don't like is an unwritten law. (My old dusty server had a problem with Racist comments, and having it on our server rules helped because it set a firm stance on how we viewed it, anything unwritten and they'd fight you on it, like you were just a power tripping admin).

If these are just rules that depend on the players on at the time. Putting the voteban/kick would work.

And for the record, I'm ok either way. I don't feel the need to spawncamp in general and when I get camped, I see it as a challenge. I just like to know where the rules stand. You guys are bookmarked as a fave, so I'll probably be spending some time here. Love the unlimited ammo btw (which is also why I can see a reason to be anti-spawncamp).

Sorry so long. I don't get out much. :sick:
Last edited by :( UnhappyCamper ): on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

I talked to the other admins about spawncamping and they said shooting from surf is allowed and that only place not allowed to shoot from is the skybox. Also, I'm on mostly all day so if you guys need someone to contact about people breaking the rules please add me on steam ( -[FF]- Darkside) and send me message with their name and what rule their breaking or think their breaking. Thank you have a great day.

-Darkside
Last edited by Darkside on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy

Post by Crazy »

Not trying to be the negative admin here but, spawncamping is never going to end. Sure, we can minimize it, but someone is always going to find a way and do it. The way i see it to spawncamp every exit is to place a sentry at the top of the spawn (were the tele takes you). I haven't really noticed much spawncamping going on lately, but that might be just me.

If you see someone do it just report it to me or any other admins.
Last edited by Crazy on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:( UnhappyCamper ):

Post by :( UnhappyCamper ): »

Yeah, it'll always happen. On my old server, our rules stated that spawn camping was allowed, but totally uncool. We usually overlooked a little camping, but if one team started getting spawnraped over and over, we'd have to step in and say enough already.

The thing I love most about spawn camping, is sneaking out of it, going around, and tearing into them from behind.
Last edited by :( UnhappyCamper ): on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

There is no rules on camping. I don't plan on making any. With the new changes to the map I don't consider camping a major offense. Camping spawn is frowned upon and will make people dislike you in the server and I'd rather leave it at that. However, if someone is causing major issues and many are complaining, then a admin can use his best judgement and issue a punishment.
ImageImage