Dodgeball Suggestions Thread v2.0

goinundercover
Veteran

Re: Dodgeball Suggestions Thread v2.0

Post by goinundercover »

Request of regular server restart added.
Last edited by goinundercover on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Original post and secondary post updated.
Last edited by goinundercover on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
Mr.Cat

Post by Mr.Cat »

Regular Server Restart would be awesome, performance on TF2 servers almost always starts to noticeably degrade around 2-3k player connects. (player-id's reflect the number of connections since last server restart[don't confuse player-id's with steam-id's], array sizes slowly get bigger and bigger with each connect as player-info is added. A very large number of plugins are written in a manner that uses player-id as an array key. So while you may well have 8-12 players on the server- if every loop that wants data stored this way has to iterate through 2300 empty or useless array entries and run a comparison on each one before it gets to the first player's actual data at entry 2301 you can see how this gets to be very wasteful and inefficient as time goes on and the number only gets bigger) A daily scheduled restart would help alleviate this gradual performance loss and takes only moments to set-up in your NFO Servers Control Panel.

The speedometer is another thing that the vast majority (Myself Included of course) would like changed. I personally see no point in tracking speeds and ranking stats on them if you can reflect a rocket 20 times and when they die to it- it records the rocket at 69mph. People love pretty numbers yes, but it's also great to be able to track your improvement and try to beat your own personal bests, the current speedometer means we cannot do that and the speed stats might as well be seeded with random numbers. While I understand that it may be 'technically' more accurate the way it is now, because the turn-rate is taken into account the recorded speed does not in any way reflect the rockets base speed, or number of reflections- so people have no reliable metric for comparison- which is the whole purpose of tracking stats to begin with. Perhaps tracking separate fields for reflection count, base speed, and actual speed at impact would be an adequate compromise to appease all players?

As far as map Removals, I'd really like to see Ovni removed, nobody likes this map at all, and it's always RTV'd within a couple rounds whenever it does actually get played (people mashing 4 or not knowing what the map is).

The rocket-fire noise can be fixed client-side, but a lot of people don't seem to know how to do that. Since it can be set-up to automatically download the sound-fix for each map i see no reason not to do so instead of each player having to manually fix it themselves. To that end I've uploaded a zip file with a bunch of the level_sounds files for a fair number of dodgeball maps that could be added to the server's auto-download to alleviate the issue. Download it here

While using snd_restart is an option- it's not a good one because of the need to bind a key or open console to use it and the client-side stutter that it induces. Instead those wishing to fix the issue client-side can download the link mentioned above and unzip the contents to their Steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/download/maps directory.
Last edited by Mr.Cat on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Vessy

Post by Vessy »

Mr.Cat wrote: The speedometer is another thing that the vast majority (Myself Included of course) would like changed. I personally see no point in tracking speeds and ranking stats on them if you can reflect a rocket 20 times and when they die to it- it records the rocket at 69mph. People love pretty numbers yes, but it's also great to be able to track your improvement and try to beat your own personal bests, the current speedometer means we cannot do that and the speed stats might as well be seeded with random numbers. While I understand that it may be 'technically' more accurate the way it is now, because the turn-rate is taken into account the recorded speed does not in any way reflect the rockets base speed, or number of reflections- so people have no reliable metric for comparison- which is the whole purpose of tracking stats to begin with. Perhaps tracking separate fields for reflection count, base speed, and actual speed at impact would be an adequate compromise to appease all players?

As far as map Removals, I'd really like to see Ovni removed, nobody likes this map at all, and it's always RTV'd within a couple rounds whenever it does actually get played (people mashing 4 or not knowing what the map is).

The rocket-fire noise can be fixed client-side, but a lot of people don't seem to know how to do that. Since it can be set-up to automatically download the sound-fix for each map i see no reason not to do so instead of each player having to manually fix it themselves. To that end I've uploaded a zip file with a bunch of the level_sounds files for a fair number of dodgeball maps that could be added to the server's auto-download to alleviate the issue. Download it here

While using snd_restart is an option- it's not a good one because of the need to bind a key or open console to use it and the client-side stutter that it induces. Instead those wishing to fix the issue client-side can download the link mentioned above and unzip the contents to their Steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/download/maps directory.
Everything stated in this quote is already on our radar. The removal of ovni will happen in the next update, the rocket sound is actually harder than people think because a server is only allowed to force very limited downloads, the speedometer debate has been up for months, and it used to just track base speed which is what a majority of the players want. Dodgeball will see these fixes in the future, but for now we just wait.
Last edited by Vessy on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
White Sedan
Veteran

Post by White Sedan »

This thread should be pinned since FF2, Slender, and Deathrun are.
Last edited by White Sedan on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Hoff wrote:Consider yourself lucky I am not taking legal action against your server.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Mr.Cat wrote:
Spoiler
Regular Server Restart would be awesome, performance on TF2 servers almost always starts to noticeably degrade around 2-3k player connects. (player-id's reflect the number of connections since last server restart[don't confuse player-id's with steam-id's], array sizes slowly get bigger and bigger with each connect as player-info is added. A very large number of plugins are written in a manner that uses player-id as an array key. So while you may well have 8-12 players on the server- if every loop that wants data stored this way has to iterate through 2300 empty or useless array entries and run a comparison on each one before it gets to the first player's actual data at entry 2301 you can see how this gets to be very wasteful and inefficient as time goes on and the number only gets bigger) A daily scheduled restart would help alleviate this gradual performance loss and takes only moments to set-up in your NFO Servers Control Panel.

The speedometer is another thing that the vast majority (Myself Included of course) would like changed. I personally see no point in tracking speeds and ranking stats on them if you can reflect a rocket 20 times and when they die to it- it records the rocket at 69mph. People love pretty numbers yes, but it's also great to be able to track your improvement and try to beat your own personal bests, the current speedometer means we cannot do that and the speed stats might as well be seeded with random numbers. While I understand that it may be 'technically' more accurate the way it is now, because the turn-rate is taken into account the recorded speed does not in any way reflect the rockets base speed, or number of reflections- so people have no reliable metric for comparison- which is the whole purpose of tracking stats to begin with. Perhaps tracking separate fields for reflection count, base speed, and actual speed at impact would be an adequate compromise to appease all players?

Thanks for your input. If Fire can manage to somehow setup so that the client automatically downloads those text files, that would be great. Seeing as the whole file is only a couple of kb, I would think that the download time for dodgeball would be virtually unchanged.
White Sedan wrote:This thread should be pinned since FF2, Slender, and Deathrun are.
That would be an excellent idea.

Added Ovni to the "map removal" list.
Last edited by goinundercover on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Retired.
Armen
Veteran

Post by Armen »

It stickied it for you.

I like the idea of regular server restarts.
Last edited by Armen on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

I think Fire said something in our meeting about not being able to download text files, but I may have heard that incorrectly.
Last edited by Banshee on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dodgeball
Trade #1
Trade #2
Trade #3

Click on the picture to go to my profile!
Satan wrote:Small but good, like my penis.
Ibuix wrote:You're a real life saver. A nigga, if you will
Mr.Cat

Post by Mr.Cat »

Banshee wrote:I think Fire said something in our meeting about not being able to download text files, but I may have heard that incorrectly.
unlike map files they will not download automatically, the server has to know that connecting clients need to have the file or download it or it won't force them to grab it. To do that it has to be added to the downloads table. As far as I am aware, there is no real limit imposed on the number of entries in the download table(However, you don't want to add a lot of really large files as people will get tired of wating for things to download and hit that cancel button before joining)- With these small text files it's not a problem- it is however- not something that can be set up with simple changes to existing config files or the server.cfg. You'll probably have to get one of the many generic plugins made for this task from alliedmods, or write your own. Simply placing them in the server's custom folder may not do the trick, because it is a text file, and not a packed model, texture, sound or other standard asset type.
Last edited by Mr.Cat on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

Last edited by Fire on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage