A humble suggestion for the Prophunt server

fenix

A humble suggestion for the Prophunt server

Post by fenix »

[Suggestion] This past week, I have barely seen any admin online on the PH server (no offense intended). I don't really mind having no admin online; I like it better when there's nobody very strictly enforcing the rules of Disc-FF but what bothers me is that as a consequence of not having much admins online this week, the number of spammers (on both mic and chat), "ghost-ers", or even admin impersonators is increasing. Now, I am aware that there's the !report functionality on the server, but sometimes, I just can't report four simultaneous mic spammers, together with a few ghost-ers on my team. As a suggestion, why not make VIP players or maybe people with rejected admin applications moderators? Or maybe, make an admin applicant a moderator to test him/her out. Moderators, meaning rule enforcers, just like admins, but with less power (e.g. power to mute and gag, but not to kick or ban). I feel that this would help the server maintain its quality without requiring too much effort from the three PH admins.

[Glitch] I just wanna throw this here, but I think I may have found a glitch on the PH server. As a Pyro, holding mouse1 and then holding mouse2, and then letting go of mouse1 but still holding mouse2, the Pyro's flamethrower is still "firing." By doing this, even after the grace period for the props, the Pyro is NOT taking damage, nor is its ammo decreasing. I am not sure whether this actually damages the props or this is just a visual bug, but I hope that some people could test it out some time and maybe fix it. Some people might exploit this when they discover it, so I hope that it gets fixed soon.

Thanks!
Last edited by fenix on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sammay

Re: A humble suggestion for the Prophunt server

Post by Sammay »

The glitch with the pyro firing the flame constantly does not do any damage to any props at all.
White Sedan
Veteran

Post by White Sedan »

I don't agree with the idea to make people who are applying for admin moderators at all. That means anyone can just throw up an application and get mod like it's nothing. As for VIPs, I feel like that would make us just look like another one of those shithole communities with a pay-for-admin/mod system that could be easily abused. I feel a better alternative would be to add a feature to the report system that allows you to report multiple people at once if there's more than one rule breaker on the server.
----
Hoff wrote:Consider yourself lucky I am not taking legal action against your server.
Chikiro
Veteran

Post by Chikiro »

The fire constantly going like that is a visual glitch that has been around forever. Just switch weapons, and it'll go away. It's partially why a lot of regulars do quick switching of weapons randomly.... even when we dont have the glitch, lol.

As for the admin thing, admins are people too, and so they have lives too. I believe a lot of them have had life get in the way lately, so they can't be as active as they once were, so be patient. I'd say in addition to continuing to report and the like, maybe friend a few of the the global admins too. All of the admins for our server, if available, should be able to jump on when needed. Maybe, if the issue is bad enough, you could even try to apply for admin yourself to help enforce the rules and to make the server better!

As for what Sedan said, that would be about the only fix needed for the report system, if possible. All of the safe-guards are in place are a necessity, unfortunately.
Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see. ;D
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

I agree wholeheartedly with what Sedan has said. A system like votekick/VIP/Moderators wouldn't be a great idea. We already have a basic and Paid VIP system, which is more commonly used on the FF2/VSH/DR/Slender/Dodgeball/Trade/Idle servers. We've run into complications with implementing VIP on the Prophunt server.
If you feel like you want to do more to help out, you are more than welcome to apply for admin.

Currently there are only three Prophunt Admins (myself included), and we've all had things going on in our lives, however, we've been doing what we can to try be on as much as possible.

As Chiki said, our report system also contacts our Global Admins, however, there's also chance that they may not be available either.
Often times if a report is made and responded to by our admins, we will be able to deal with numerous people when a report is made for one person, so it may null that concept.
Another method for you if you'd like to report multiple people would be to record demos, and submit reports of those players here on the forums directly to make sure we are able to get on top of it.

As for the glitch, exactly what Chiki and Sammay said. That bug has been around for ages. It's exactly the same as getting first blood and them flaming with "permacrits." It's merely a visual bug.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
fenix

Post by fenix »

White Sedan wrote:I don't agree with the idea to make people who are applying for admin moderators at all. That means anyone can just throw up an application and get mod like it's nothing. As for VIPs, I feel like that would make us just look like another one of those shithole communities with a pay-for-admin/mod system that could be easily abused. I feel a better alternative would be to add a feature to the report system that allows you to report multiple people at once if there's more than one rule breaker on the server.
I think the multiple reports at once is actually a good improvement to the report system. Also, maybe in order for an admin applicant to be tested as a moderator, there has to be some sort of a recommendation from a current admin of that specific server (e.g. Abraham on Prophunt, etc).

-
Chikiro wrote:The fire constantly going like that is a visual glitch that has been around forever. Just switch weapons, and it'll go away. It's partially why a lot of regulars do quick switching of weapons randomly.... even when we dont have the glitch, lol.
I am also aware of that visual glitch, but what I mentioned is quite different, but as Sammay has confirmed, it's just another visual glitch.
Chikiro wrote:As for the admin thing, admins are people too, and so they have lives too. I believe a lot of them have had life get in the way lately, so they can't be as active as they once were, so be patient. I'd say in addition to continuing to report and the like, maybe friend a few of the the global admins too. All of the admins for our server, if available, should be able to jump on when needed. Maybe, if the issue is bad enough, you could even try to apply for admin yourself to help enforce the rules and to make the server better!
Of course am I aware that admins can't be active 24/7, but that's kinda the reason why I am suggesting (just as White Sedan does) that players should be able to report multiple spammers at once. I'll also try to maybe friend a few global admins. As for your suggestion of me applying for admin, I think I am way too unprofessional to be one and will be very inactive when I go back to school this fall; I am kinda counting on other people to this for me haha
Last edited by fenix on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visprii
Veteran

Post by Visprii »

fenix wrote: I think the multiple reports at once is actually a good improvement to the report system. Also, maybe in order for an admin applicant to be tested as a moderator, there has to be some sort of a recommendation from a current admin of that specific server (e.g. Abraham on Prophunt, etc).
Those are called referrals and it's a necessity to have one from at least 1 admin to get into the voting period. Admins can't just pick and choose who they want into power because their behaviour may change once they receive power or not all the admins would be on board with that person getting power.
fenix wrote:I am also aware of that visual glitch, but what I mentioned is quite different, but as Sammay has confirmed, it's just another visual glitch.
This is a problem with TF2 itself, not Prophunt. It's a glitch that happens on all servers.
fenix wrote: Of course am I aware that admins can't be active 24/7, but that's kinda the reason why I am suggesting (just as White Sedan does) that players should be able to report multiple spammers at once. I'll also try to maybe friend a few global admins. As for your suggestion of me applying for admin, I think I am way too unprofessional to be one and will be very inactive when I go back to school this fall; I am kinda counting on other people to this for me haha
I'm sure if more than one person is breaking the rules on the server and a report comes out for only 1 person, the admin will likely punish the other rulebreakers on the server as well.
Last edited by Visprii on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
--------------
SMURFASAURUS wrote: Alberta? You're proud of living in a province that's named after a 40 year old Mexican Housekeeper?
Tornado123

Post by Tornado123 »

I agreed with sedan, If you want admins on the PH server your gonna have to apply like the rest.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
Dongle: Tornado im going to cut you if you keep stealing my damn rockets
LewandaSillyFeathers
Server Admin

Post by LewandaSillyFeathers »

Only admins should have admin powers. They get admin powers for being trusted. If we don't trust someone enough their application gets rejected (not just for prop hunt). I don't think there should ever be moderators either.

Why would you ever accept fear when you have the power to refuse it?
SkyBlue: He didn't lick it good enough.
Onion: is it cause of my race?
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

We have never had moderators and never will. If admins are needed on PH or any other server, they will have to apply and go through the same process like the rest of us have.
ImageImage