Namehacking.

Tyresse

Namehacking.

Post by Tyresse »

I have run into some hackers lately, and some of them have been rapidly changing their name to avoid being banned. There have also been players changing their name to another persons name on the server, also some people that were gagged, were using their name to communicate.
I have taken some screenshots to show somewhat of what i mean.

Look at the chatbox (bottom left)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =716104331
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =716104313
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =716104298
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =716104266
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =716104253

I figured after seeing this numerous times, i wanted to ask if adding a namehacking plugin would be a suitable idea.
leave your thoughts below please.

-Tyresse
I don't know what to write, so here's nothing....
MoneyKidKing

Re: Namehacking.

Post by MoneyKidKing »

A user doing that can be targeted by admins by using their UserID/Steam ID. A plugin that banned for that would likely come up with numerous false positives. If anything something like a rapid name change blocker that Valve servers have would work (although not preferable).
Until further notice, try to report them using the !report command (if you unsure of which to report, use "status" in console to find their UserID, which will match up with the number in the report)
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Tyresse

Post by Tyresse »

Ok thanks Money.
I don't know what to write, so here's nothing....
hisiglemic

Post by hisiglemic »

I feel like this wont work due to the fact that steam allows people to change there names to what ever that person desires when that person desires to. But I am not to sure on that fact.
one day I will meet Gaben
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

I do think adding some sort of system to SMAC to limit name changes to 3 per 10 minutes would be in order. During my time on surf I've had quite a bit of trouble with these people as I have slow internet. It takes console a few to print the userid I need.
Last edited by HakureiReimu_Husky on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is goodbye.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

HakureiReimu_Husky wrote:I do think adding some sort of system to SMAC to limit name changes to 3 per 10 minutes would be in order. During my time on surf I've had quite a bit of trouble with these people as I have slow internet. It takes console a few to print the userid I need.
If you type "status" into console you can get a player's connected ID such as #4307, similar to if you were use a server command on a player with special characters in their name.
TF2 and internal scripting is not physically capable of stopping a player changing their name on Steam by any method as far as I know.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

sambawarkiddo wrote:
HakureiReimu_Husky wrote:I do think adding some sort of system to SMAC to limit name changes to 3 per 10 minutes would be in order. During my time on surf I've had quite a bit of trouble with these people as I have slow internet. It takes console a few to print the userid I need.
If you type "status" into console you can get a player's connected ID such as #4307, similar to if you were use a server command on a player with special characters in their name.
TF2 and internal scripting is not physically capable of stopping a player changing their name on Steam by any method as far as I know.
The thing is it takes a few for the server to report the id to me as i usually get a rather high packet drop rate. There were a few servers that had a system that would ban players for 30 minutes for excessive name changing
Last edited by HakureiReimu_Husky on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is goodbye.
Tornado123

Post by Tornado123 »

Tyresse, You can also help out a global by getting the id from the console and giving it to a global. It really helps a lot.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
Dongle: Tornado im going to cut you if you keep stealing my damn rockets
Hylie

Post by Hylie »

Another useful feature that can be somewhat related to this;

1. Go into TF2's advanced options.
2. Go to under "HUD Options."
3. Check "Enable Mouse Input on the Scoreboard."
4. You can now right-click on names in the player scoreboard to access options such as visiting a player's steam profile. It also enables mouse scrolling on the scoreboard so that you can see players further down on the list for servers that hold more than 12 players on a team.

Hope this helps.
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Hylie wrote:Another useful feature that can be somewhat related to this;

1. Go into TF2's advanced options.
2. Go to under "HUD Options."
3. Check "Enable Mouse Input on the Scoreboard."
4. You can now right-click on names in the player scoreboard to access options such as visiting a player's steam profile. It also enables mouse scrolling on the scoreboard so that you can see players further down on the list for servers that hold more than 12 players on a team.

Hope this helps.
Just came here to say id love this, would help out atleast me by a lot.
Last edited by Abraham on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage