Disc-FF map packs?

NerfPlayeR135

Disc-FF map packs?

Post by NerfPlayeR135 »

Occasionally, when I play TF2, I feel the need to test or explore a certain map, whether I'm trying to figure out how to access easter eggs or just screw around in general. I usually accomplish this by creating a LAN server and using the developer console to give conditions, add bots, whatever I need to do.

I obtain a lot of maps through server downloads: if a computer doesn't have a local copy of the map a server is currently using, the server will supply a copy of the map to the computer. Some maps, however, are never played, either due to obscurity, age, or lack of quality. Not only that, but there's a chance that some older machines will download a corrupt copy of a map (indicated by a bz2 file instead of a bsp) that throws up "map is missing" errors whenever a server switches to said map. I had corrupt map problems with my old PC (you've probably heard me talk about it; it ran XP on one gigabyte of RAM), and it was very hard to try to find a non-corrupt copy of the Deathrun map Time Travel on the internet. Downloading maps also takes time, and depending on a machine's hardware and the strength of its internet connection, the amount of time it can take to download just one map can be ridiculously long.

I'm here to suggest this: what if the maps used on Disc-FF's servers were downloadable from these forums? Perhaps there would be separate archive files (zip, rar, 7z, etc.), one for each of Disc-FF's server types (Deathrun, FF2, Slender, Trade/Fun, Idle/Trade, etc.), each containing every map used on that particular server type. I'm sure that would benefit many people that have trouble obtaining some of these maps, whether it's to solve corrupt map download issues, obtain maps in advance, or just have a ton of places to screw around in.

-NerfPlayeR135
Last edited by NerfPlayeR135 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long-time Disc-FF veteran and jack-of-all-trades TF2 player.

Disc-FF Stats:
Spoiler
Deathrun: No longer exists...

Freak Fortress #1:
FawfulRoach
Veteran

Re: Disc-FF map packs?

Post by FawfulRoach »

I feel like this could be a good idea, as people can avoid having to constantly download every single map everytime the server changes
AgentApple50

Post by AgentApple50 »

I was actually thinking about doing this a couple days ago. I do agree it would be helpful.
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

This would be rather helpful, especially for users like myself where our internet quality is lacking.
This is goodbye.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

If you're looking for a specific map, you can either find it on some directories or GameBanana, or contacting the maker of a specific map and asking them for a copy of it.
Some map makers may or may not wish for their maps to be a part of a public catalog, in which case, it could in some cases be a bit finicky having to sort through which maps are and aren't wanted.
Alongside this, some maps are updated once, twice, and sometimes very frequently, which would mean the map submitted on the forums would require updating.
I know that's not exactly a difficult thing, but it could be seen as a little bit tedious in the long run, what with maps constantly being suggested or submitted.

I can also see it as being an alright idea, as sometimes, players will try to join a server and be rejected as they're missing a map, often times they can't download, or just don't have, or the version differs to the server's version.
However, as I said, MOST maps can be found cataloged on other website directories, such as GameBanana, or finding out who made a specific map and asking them for a copy of it.

I fear however, that having a downloadable copy of a map here on the forums would still run some complaints about taking a while to download, as most times than other, download speed is to do with a client's internet capabilities, rather than the server the file is hosted on.

For those who may wonder, most maps you download from the server go to the following directory:

Code: Select all

Steam> Steamapps> common> Team Fortress 2> tf> Download>maps
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?