[Deathrun] Scout Speed Nerf

AgentApple50

[Deathrun] Scout Speed Nerf

Post by AgentApple50 »

I have been receiving many complaints about scout being too fast in deathrun. I also understand why, as a scout with the winger or crit o cola can bypass many traps and rush the map. I would like to propose a solution, which is scout being slowed down a bit. This is a big change, but I would like to experiment and see how it goes. Thanks for reading :3
NerfPlayeR135

Re: [Deathrun] Scout Speed Nerf

Post by NerfPlayeR135 »

The Scout's natural speed can be a big problem sometimes, I agree. Because of his natural speed, as well as being able to use the Winger and Crit-a-Cola, he can dodge and/or bypass many traps. Rushing is also a large problem - even one Scout can run ahead of the activator and force him/her to waste a ton of traps in an attempt to prevent an easy win for the runners.

However, keeping the Scout's normal speed and allowing him to use the Winger and Crit-a-Cola is one of the features that sets Disc-FF's Deathrun server apart from the rest. (Ever played Intox's version of Deathrun? It's just not as fun.) Lowering the Scout's speed or blocking his movement-boosting weapons would cause a major outrage among many players.
Long-time Disc-FF veteran and jack-of-all-trades TF2 player.

Disc-FF Stats:
Spoiler
Deathrun: No longer exists...

Freak Fortress #1:
Serena
Veteran

Post by Serena »

I believe we have already discussed this and it was turned down. Our DR server is more popular than most because of things like this. Other servers have all the speeds equaled out, most people don't like it that way.
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

Serena wrote:I believe we have already discussed this and it was turned down. Our DR server is more popular than most because of things like this. Other servers have all the speeds equaled out, most people don't like it that way.
This^
Last edited by Dongle on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Schtolteheim

Post by Schtolteheim »

While I personally don't mind this increase in speed and usage of items (despite them immediately breaking whatever they touch half of the time,) we need to call to attention the sheer inefficiency of our response to the problems that arise with these items (map-breaking, exploiting, glitches, etc.) Far too often I see people getting kicked or banned for exploits and trap-bypassing that could be prevented with patches; nonetheless, the maps are in logistic limbo because nobody is patching them. There are exploits that have been called to attention for years that have gone without fixes, and I feel that needs to change if our goal is to make the scout's inherent advantage over the rest of the cast more bearable and fair.

I propose that we compile a list of glitches, exploits and other oddities, and work on "scout-proofing" them in order to stamp out whatever glitches we've found. I recommend we do this for any future maps we download as well.

I understand that this proposal can be seen as cumbersome and tedious to the admins, but I myself would be more than willing to help expedite this process if necessary.

Again, this is just my opinion. If the majority of players think no changes are necessary, then I'll yield.
Last edited by Schtolteheim on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name's Schtolteheim Reinbach V. I sacrifice at the chance doors so you don't have to.
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

Schtolteheim wrote:While I personally don't mind this increase in speed and usage of items (despite them immediately breaking whatever they touch half of the time,) we need to call to attention the sheer inefficiency of our response to the problems that arise with these items (map-breaking, exploiting, glitches, etc.) Far too often I see people getting kicked or banned for exploits and trap-bypassing that could be prevented with patches; nonetheless, the maps are in logistic limbo because nobody is patching them. There are exploits that have been called to attention for years that have gone without fixes, and I feel that needs to change if our goal is to make the scout's inherent advantage over the rest of the cast more bearable and fair.

I propose that we compile a list of glitches, exploits and other oddities, and work on "scout-proofing" them in order to stamp out whatever glitches we've found. I recommend we do this for any future maps we download as well.

I understand that this proposal can be seen as cumbersome and tedious to the admins, but I myself would be more than willing to help expedite this process if necessary.

Again, this is just my opinion. If the majority of players think no changes are necessary, then I'll yield.
Make a list and I'll forward the vmt files for the maps to you.
Last edited by Dongle on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Schtolteheim

Post by Schtolteheim »

I've compiled a list and sent it over to you. (Thanks to Mindacos for suggesting I make this list private, bit of a lack of foresight on my part.)
Last edited by Schtolteheim on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Name's Schtolteheim Reinbach V. I sacrifice at the chance doors so you don't have to.