[FF2] Reduce Telefragging Damage

Visprii
Veteran

[FF2] Reduce Telefragging Damage

Post by Visprii »

So I've been noticing lately that people usually complain or kill themselves whenever they get a hale that has a teleport ability. This is usually a result of people getting telefragged and losing over 1/4 of their health from an engineer just stunning the hale with the Short Circuit and setting up an auto telefrag. Considering that there can be 4 engineers on at a time, the hale can lose up to all his hp on a server with 32 people just from 4 telefrags. I'd like to propose that we reduce the damage from telefragging from 9001 to 6000 and telefrag assists to 3000. I feel like more regulars would actually like to play teleporting hales more often if the damage for telefragging got reduced.
Last edited by Visprii on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--------------
SMURFASAURUS wrote: Alberta? You're proud of living in a province that's named after a 40 year old Mexican Housekeeper?
Dr. Axel Link
Veteran

Re: [FF2] Reduce Telefragging Damage

Post by Dr. Axel Link »

I've never seen this happen. Telefragging is also a high-risk high-reward, even for a teleporting boss. Sometimes even with an auto telefrag, there are so many various things that could cause it to fail.
Visprii
Veteran

Post by Visprii »

My point is that there are a ton of engineers that know how to set up a telefrag, the teleport ability is something that should give the hale an advantage, just like superjumping. The hale shouldn't get a quarter of his health taken away because he used his ability. This is why a lot of regulars get annoyed with playing teleporting bosses. That's why I suggest we reduce the damage to 6000 instead 9001
Last edited by Visprii on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------
SMURFASAURUS wrote: Alberta? You're proud of living in a province that's named after a 40 year old Mexican Housekeeper?
Dr. Axel Link
Veteran

Post by Dr. Axel Link »

I do agree it is a really high amount of damage, but even with teleporting bosses it can be hard to land a telefrag against them. Lowering the damage too much would make it feel unrewarding, but perhaps make it scale similar to a backstab? Perhaps make it 1/8th of a boss's max health rather than something that could instakill if there aren't enough players on the server.
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

From my playtime, the only somewhat-guaranteed telefrag is if you have someone stand on the exit and have the hale teleport to that person, however there's a chance that the hale will not teleport to that player. Though the damage can be excessive at times.
This is goodbye.
Darkone2e
Veteran

Post by Darkone2e »

As an engi main I would hate the reduction, the "Hale" has the chance to kill the engi that sets the frag just as much as the engi has to kill or damage the hale. The change in balance would result in many disgruntled players, and one really pissed off Darkone.......

The simple matter of fact is that it requires a given amount of skill to pull off even an auto telefrag. Even this can be countered, for instance a raged wobafett.
Sky Dragon

Post by Sky Dragon »

I'd suggest a larger radius of effect teleporter that does half of its damage.
Last edited by Sky Dragon on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hylie

Post by Hylie »

Super-jump as the mobility ability has its drawbacks too, i.e. being unable to reach higher areas without risk of knockback; a common example is a level 3 sentry nest atop a tall tower-like area that would be far easier to get up to with a teleport. Teleporting hales also have the advantage of being able to more easily get into a crowd of people and rage, something that can be more challenging with Super-jump, especially depending upon player awareness.

I've never heard of someone complain about telefraggers, and I don't see very many engineers utilize their teleporters for frags aside the regulars that need not be named because we all know they do it. I personally don't like teleporting bosses, but it definitely isn't because of fraggers as much as it is a slower mobility ability. Then again, we know teleporting bosses have lowered mobility, and are usually compensated for it in another area.

I'm all for buffing weaker teleporting bosses by switching them to point-teleport, however. It's shorter range and doesn't telelock, and is safer for the Hale player as they know where they're going.

TL;DR Each mode of mobility has its pros and cons, and bosses are either weaker or compensated for them. Regardless, we will always have some bosses that are powerful, and some that are not. If all bosses were equally easy, that would eliminate the ability to challenge ourselves and pick an extremely weak Hale, or take it easy and play a powerful boss. There's also overused and underused bosses. Point-teleport would be a viable option for teleporting bosses that really demand a buff, otherwise, I do not believe that this is necessary.

P.S. If people complain about getting a teleporting boss, there's always !setboss for next time.
Last edited by Hylie on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 am, edited 9 times in total.
LewandaSillyFeathers
Server Admin

Post by LewandaSillyFeathers »

considering how hard it can be to get a telefrag i don't think the damage should be reduced. If I'm a teleporting boss I only like to teleport if i have rage.

Why would you ever accept fear when you have the power to refuse it?
SkyBlue: He didn't lick it good enough.
Onion: is it cause of my race?
Visprii
Veteran

Post by Visprii »

Even if telefragging is difficult or you rage when you teleport as the hale more regulars who play engineer will know how to set up an auto frag. There are tons of hales that don't get uber for a rage so say for example: Femspy, teleported to an engineer who has the short circuit on and stuns the hale the engineer will most definately get 1 maybe sometimes 2 telefrags with an autofrag regardless if the hale used rage or not.

In some cases on a server with say 18 people the hale usually gets 18,000 hp, if he teleports to someone and gets telefragged he could lose over half his hp.

Perhaps making the damage down to 6000 isn't the best case senario, but making the damage vary depending on how many players are on the server similar to how a backstab takes away 10% of the hales hp is something I believe is needed.
Last edited by Visprii on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--------------