[PH Suggestion] New Backburner

sambawarkiddo
Veteran

[PH Suggestion] New Backburner

Post by sambawarkiddo »

So for as long as Prophunt has been a thing, the Backburner has been next to the most useless flamethrower, ranging from doing 1dps to 0 in afterburn.
I had the idea of enabling airblast for the Backburner. It already has a significant base cost to airblast, stunting possible spam use.
Airblast could make it a viable tool for knocking a prop out of its spot, or even getting a zone kill, depending on the map (Canyon, Cyberpunk, Cargo, Devil's Canyon, etc).

Things to note:
Airblast cost would have to be upped if possible to no less than 90 ammo per blast,
If possible, 20hp damage per airblast.
Airblast knockback to be reduced somewhat
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
CorgiBear
Server Admin

Re: [PH Suggestion] New Backburner

Post by CorgiBear »

I honestly disagree completely, while he has some interesting new ideas and I'm not shutting it down all together, I just see this as being abused. I can only imagine what it would be like to get to a place and being pushed off instantly or to be constantly pushed into a corner to where you can't escape. I think it's way too over powered. I can honestly say that would frustrate me to the point of quitting prophunt, but that's just me. Maybe we could give the idea a chance if enough people want it, but I would very much rather just remove back burner completely. It's already a useless weapon on prophunt, getting rid of it wouldn't change anything. If people complain about it, they are able to use other options. Degreaser is AMAZING for prophunt with a flare gun and a huge majority of our players already use that combo for obvious reasons.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

It's hard to say what I think should happen. If we completely remove the backburner, this may upset some users, despite there being a good reason for doing so. On the other hand, leaving it will confuse some newer players who won't immediately realize why they aren't doing much damage. If it were possible, I'd say configure the server to treat the backburner like a stock flame thrower (which is basically just the same as removing it while making it look as if it's equipped). I'm not opposed to changing it though, so long as it's tested.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Ill have to disagree with this as well, I can see a looot of abuse related to this as well as a lot of hate. People already hate the scorchshot knock up, I cant see anyone having a positive response to this.

On top of that we agreed months ago to replace the backburner with the stock flamethrower if it was equipped, people just kinda forgot about that. The weapon is broken on prophunt for ages and I agree that something has to be done, I just dont think that this is it. What comes to some players getting pissed off if we remove it, considering our regular base I cant think of a single player who would use it, so I dont think it would effect our current playerbase at all.
Last edited by Abraham on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Yang Xaio Long
Veteran

Post by Yang Xaio Long »

I really don't know whether this would actually help with "improving" the weapon, while it is an interesting idea as the others have stated it probably will be abused in some way.
Abraham wrote:On top of that we agreed months ago to replace the backburner with the stock flamethrower if it was equipped
I actually forgot that this was talked about.
Last edited by Yang Xaio Long on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edit 23/11/21: What d'ya want? If you're here from 2021 and beyond and you want to find me, you can find me at → speedrun.com/user/Mr.Blonde ←

One Vision, One Purpose! The Technology of Peace. Peace Through Power

notjus

Post by notjus »

The backburner has always been an ambush weapon, both in normal gamemodes, and in Prophunt. I may have no hours in DISC-FF Prophunt, I spent a lot of time in the Prophunt server of a community I used to frequent, it's merely a situational weapon, like many others, and changing it this way makes it even more situational, limited to be of slight use on environmental hazard maps, with props still being able to redirect themselves mid-air. It's not like pyros can puff&sting like they do with the backburner as they do with the degreaser+flare gun. Ambushing was a common strategy in the Prophunt server that I frequented, but noone ever used the Backburner for that even then. You can't tell what direction that the prop is facing, so on the off-chance you get someone by surprise, you may not even get the crits, so I agree that it should be modified, but not for airblast.

or don't use the backburner
Last edited by notjus on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
I go by Get/Here and this is my steam profile.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/notjus/
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

notjus wrote:The backburner has always been an ambush weapon, both in normal gamemodes, and in Prophunt. I may have no hours in DISC-FF Prophunt, I spent a lot of time in the Prophunt server of a community I used to frequent, it's merely a situational weapon, like many others, and changing it this way makes it even more situational, limited to be of slight use on environmental hazard maps, with props still being able to redirect themselves mid-air. It's not like pyros can puff&sting like they do with the backburner as they do with the degreaser+flare gun. Ambushing was a common strategy in the Prophunt server that I frequented, but noone ever used the Backburner for that even then. You can't tell what direction that the prop is facing, so on the off-chance you get someone by surprise, you may not even get the crits, so I agree that it should be modified, but not for airblast.

or don't use the backburner
No one uses it because its broken, you have 95% chance to not do damage at all, no matter from what direction are you burning the prop from.

It has no use in the mod, not with any kind of changes. Its absolutely useless. I dont think its worth the trouble of modifying it when we could just ban it on the server and fix the issue without effecting our current playerbase, I dont think anyone would even notice if it was gone.
Last edited by Abraham on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

Yeah, I agree with Abraham. It doesn't work, and trying to make it work will only complicate things.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....