FF2: Samus Making My Game Literally Unplayable

Hylie

FF2: Samus Making My Game Literally Unplayable

Post by Hylie »

Whenever Samus uses her blaster rage, I sometimes hard crash TF2, getting the error, "Too many textures or not enough memory." I know for a fact that the not enough memory part is false, because I have plenty of RAM and memory in general to run far more intensive games at higher graphics, which means maybe there's a leak of some sort affecting me somehow? Idk, but this is getting extremely annoying.

I've told Fire about this, but I'm posting here to see if anyone else gets this bug too?

EDIT: I've found the problem. There's an issue with the blaster sound that clogs up my game whenever the rage occurs and causes the hard crash. In addition, this happens to me extremely consistently, I have yet to survive her rage still connected so far as of the last few weeks of keeping track. The console error is:

"Failed to create decoder for mp3 [<the directory path for Samus' blaster shot sound>]"

(In-game image below.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/09xjgu57l5u0m ... g.jpg?dl=0

The above screenshot is from me opening my console as her rage started right before the crash. It was scrolling extremely fast with this same console error until it swiftly crashed.

Between losing a limited class slot, my map nomination, and overall frustration, this is extremely irritating and makes Boss Pack 2 a hit-miss for whether or not I can play it. I would appreciate it if anyone can direct me to how to fix it on my end or if Fire can patch the problem.
Last edited by Hylie on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Taliu

Re: FF2: Samus Rage Crash Bug

Post by Taliu »

Not with samus yet. I have had an issue with some other bosses that change textures. Like Blutarch. I think it might just be a valve thing when too much changes at once.
Zethy
Veteran

Post by Zethy »

I never crashed when playing as/against Samus, I'm running TF2 with 4GB Ram and 1GB VRam. Maybe wrong configs?
Dr. Axel Link
Veteran

Post by Dr. Axel Link »

I say we change Samus's rage into something else! I've never really been a fan of her rage, and I feel we could make something more fun and not as annoying. For starters, she probably doesn't need uber on her rage, as there's nothing that really cause that much of a problem to her except maybe engineers who she can sometimes snipe. Removing the uber will lessen texture rate as we remove the uber texture. Her rage could just make it so her shots pass through players and walls, rather than exploding on contact, to have the feel of her wave beam, and just keep her normal fire rate with the piercing. I'm assuming the amount of shots she can do might be overloading or something. If it is the too many textures, this might lower that problem. Just a possibility, as people already complain about Samus, but if people start having that problem I think her rage needs to be changed.
Hylie

Re: FF2: Samus Making My Game Literally Unplayable

Post by Hylie »

Updated with the information I gathered. I'm really anxious to find a way to fix this or have it fixed.
Zethy
Veteran

Re: FF2: Samus Making My Game Literally Unplayable

Post by Zethy »

Hylie wrote:Updated with the information I gathered. I'm really anxious to find a way to fix this or have it fixed.
Try deleting all sound.cache files in the TF2 directory and do a snd_restart (In Console) after opening TF2 to see if it fixes the problem. Do a backup of those files if another problem is created from deleting these files.
Last edited by Zethy on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.