PH Server Message Suggestion, Fixes, and Additional Rules

Bench

PH Server Message Suggestion, Fixes, and Additional Rules

Post by Bench »

Hello, these concerns are mainly for the Prop Hunt server

The biggest problem on Prop Hunt is people ghosting others and unless if there is an admin ingame, many players don't know the specifics of ghosting. I'm suggesting a server message that goes in chat to be implemented that explains ghosting. Here is an example that would be understandable: "Ghosting is prohibited on this server. If you are on Red team or Dead; please do not reveal real or fake props, directions, or locations of any player." This can be adjusted but the general idea is there and will be really helpful for new players unaware of ghosting. Hopefully this relieves that amount of work for the admins and the players.

I have also found a minor mistake I found in one of the chat server messages. I could not find the specific message after searching for an hour, but the mistake is that it has "!Menu" in the message which cannot work with the M when typing !menu.

Another minor mistake is !top10; I have tried this command on the Death Run server and it displays the top 10 players. When using the command on Prop Hunt, it only displays the top 8. Again, these two mistakes are really minor and won't have a big effect, but it's important to not have something out of place.
PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:Didn't you also recommend editing the rules to include building placement restrictions? I also remember us talking about having another pop-up message for team-switching.
Thanks for reminding me, I was just about to sleep but checked the forums for any replies.

Team switching is another problem on the server, which can't really be stopped unless if there are people on the lookout. Implementing a server message to prevent team switching would be helpful for new players (maybe being displayed at the start of every round, every other round, or every five minutes).
I don't know if this is possible to do without modifying the maps or really necessary; but on I believe Saxton Hell Prop Hunt they have an Arena mode so that when you join, you only get on door labeled Arena and will be placed on a random team. Once you are placed on a team, you are not allowed to switch. I understand that there can be some balance issues and can only switch teams via admins, but it wouldn't be worth trying for like two days if it is possible.
*I will keep this here because it is a good idea, but I have seen on multiple occasions the player Tiku ask to switch teams. Tiku is one of those players that is always seen at the top of the scoreboard and it makes sense for him to teamswitch to keep the game manageable. This makes teamswitching very debatable since new players should not do it to always be a prop but can be used to keep the game fun and possible to play. So the best way to enforce this would be: Teamswitching is prohibited unless given permission via admin.

The few engineers who are new to playing Prop Hunt usually don't know that there is a class specific rule against the building placement. A rule should be added about not building in doorways and no denying of access to the control point.

When filing a report, the option for griefing should be added since this includes building blocking and other various acts.
Last edited by Bench on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
LewandaSillyFeathers
Server Admin

Re: PH Server Message Suggestion & Fixes

Post by LewandaSillyFeathers »

I believe this would probably help, but there are some people out there that don't bother reading. I think it would be pretty nice to see a server message pop up about ghosting tho.

Why would you ever accept fear when you have the power to refuse it?
SkyBlue: He didn't lick it good enough.
Onion: is it cause of my race?
Bench

Post by Bench »

LewandaSillyFeathers wrote:there are some people out there that don't bother reading.
I do agree, but if the message is made frequent (like every 3 minutes as an estimate), enough people would have to notice the same message showing and will read it.
Last edited by Bench on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

Bench wrote:Hello, these concerns are mainly for the Prop Hunt server
Spoiler
The biggest problem on Prop Hunt is people ghosting others and unless if there is an admin ingame, many players don't know the specifics of ghosting. I'm suggesting a server message that goes in chat to be implemented that explains ghosting. Here is an example that would be understandable: "Ghosting is prohibited on this server. If you are on Red team or Dead; please do not reveal real or fake props, directions, or locations of any player." This can be adjusted but the general idea is there and will be really helpful for new players unaware of ghosting. Hopefully this relieves that amount of work for the admins and the players.

I have also found a minor mistake I found in one of the chat server messages. I could not find the specific message after searching for an hour, but the mistake is that it has "!Menu" in the message which cannot work with the M when typing !menu. Another minor mistake is !top10; I have tried this command on the Death Run server and it displays the top 10 players. When using the command on Prop Hunt, it only displays the top 8 or so. Again, these two mistakes are really minor and won't have a big effect, but it's important to not have something out of place.
Didn't you also recommend editing the rules to include building placement restrictions? I also remember us talking about having another pop-up message for team-switching.
Last edited by PembrokeWelshCorgi on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Re: PH Server Message Suggestion, Fixes, and Additional Rule

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Bench wrote:Hello, these concerns are mainly for the Prop Hunt server

I love this suggestion. It would save a very large amount of time from having to explain. My issue, however, is that even despite there being a chat notification explicitly detailing how to change your prop, I'm sure you know there's bigoted people who fail to even read that.
Bench wrote: Another minor mistake is !top10; I have tried this command on the Death Run server and it displays the top 10 players. When using the command on Prop Hunt, it only displays the top 8. Again, these two mistakes are really minor and won't have a big effect, but it's important to not have something out of place.
I believe this is something to do with the amount of allocated lines in the popup screen. It should be an easy fix.
PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:Didn't you also recommend editing the rules to include building placement restrictions? I also remember us talking about having another pop-up message for team-switching.
It would be wonderful to have a message or very detailed rule regarding teamswitching, running into blue spawn prior to round start, and where not to build dispensers/teleporters.
Bench wrote: I don't know if this is possible to do without modifying the maps or really necessary; but on I believe Saxton Hell Prop Hunt they have an Arena mode so that when you join, you only get on door labeled Arena and will be placed on a random team. Once you are placed on a team, you are not allowed to switch. I understand that there can be some balance issues and can only switch teams via admins, but it wouldn't be worth trying for like two days if it is possible.
Our Prophunt is also Arena mode. The gamemode simply won't work without it being so. However, I fear there would be a significant increase in complaints if regulars weren't allowed to choose the team they want to be on. Being able to do so also allows the higher-skilled players to assist in balancing stacked teams.
Bench wrote: The few engineers who are new to playing Prop Hunt usually don't know that there is a class specific rule against the building placement. A rule should be added about not building in doorways and no denying of access to the control point.

When filing a report, the option for griefing should be added since this includes building blocking and other various acts.
I do agree with this. Teleporters blocking doorways and the CP are a common issue. It IS able to be amended without need of a rule, however, that would require editing each and every map, and adding a no-build zone in doorways and the CP. I have done this before, but it would be a tedious effort to do so on every map on Prophunt.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

These are some valid suggestions and here are my points to them

Ghosting :
Im not sure if Fire wants to put in a new server message to tell people about the rule against ghosting, but I personally dont think its an asbolute must. Yes, ghosting happens a lot, but 90% of the time we have a regular on server who can point that rule out to the players breaking it, if they wont listen then either record a demo/take screenshots and post a report on forums, or use the report system. If someone proceeds to say they didnt know ghosting is against the rules, its their own stupidity rather than rules being unclear, there is not a single prophunt server that would allow ghosting and its pretty damn obvious its not something you should do.

If it is possible to add the server message in should be pretty much what Bench here said "While on RED team or dead on BLU team, you're not allowed to say prop names, real or fake nor general directions that can lead to someone's spot, if you wish to talk about spots and props on RED team, use teamchat by pressing "U" "

!top10 command being broken :
If Mitch, Sakura or Fire can find the time to fix this, would be great, but again as everyone above has mentioned, this isnt something that is a major issue, barely an issue at all.

Building blocking :
If im not recalling this complitely wrong, the rule "no building blocking" is mentioned in the rules, the rule is fairly clean and simple to understand > Do not block cp, health/ammo packs or narrow hallways/doorways via buildings.

Teams being random :
Im against this. It's a horrible idea as it would always require an admin to get on to solve teamstacking etc, we have rather smart regulars when it comes to this, there arent too many that try to stack teams, our better players like the challenge they get from playing against eachother and usually try to go on different teams rather than stack one team and leave the other full of new players.

Also in addition >
If someone is willing to do the work and add no build zones (without editing anything else in the maps) it would be greatly appreciated and atleast I personally would have no issue against as I think neither would anyone else.
ImageImageImage
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

The issue with editing every map is the person offering would need to decompile the map, extract every minute resource, then add the no-build zones where necessary, then recompile the map, pack it, then send it back to Fire.

Such a process would take a VERY long time to finish, as well as the added drama of every player having to re-download every single map on the server.
As well, in my experience, some maps have extra features that I'm yet to figure out how to decompile properly without missing certain features or textures.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

sambawarkiddo wrote:The issue with editing every map is the person offering would need to decompile the map, extract every minute resource, then add the no-build zones where necessary, then recompile the map, pack it, then send it back to Fire.

Such a process would take a VERY long time to finish, as well as the added drama of every player having to re-download every single map on the server.
As well, in my experience, some maps have extra features that I'm yet to figure out how to decompile properly without missing certain features or textures.
I didnt expect it to be done overnight. Thought there could be some issues while decompiling the maps, but if someone manages to figure it out and do the work, I really dont think it would cause drama on the server if people had to redownload the maps that are played.

Even adding the no build zones on our most played maps would do a lot.
Last edited by Abraham on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

Even if you manage to add no build zones on the most played maps, there are still blocked doorways to worry about.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:Even if you manage to add no build zones on the most played maps, there are still blocked doorways to worry about.
Those have never been too big of an issue, id say adding no build zones on healthpacks and a fairly large area around CP it should be all good, on top of that a lot of our most played maps are mainly outdoor and dont got too many doors you can block too easily
Last edited by Abraham on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage