Prop Hunt Maps

PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Re: Prop Hunt Maps

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

I've been on the server for the span of an entire year, and I went to Laboratory once. Literally once. It never got picked. When it did, I wasn't around. I knew I disliked it right away. There are multiple rooms to look for, each one being incredibly clustered and frustrating to look through.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

I actually decided to go through some of the Arena maps on GameBanana and bumped into 5 that I see working in prophunt with no modifications or few modifications needed, ill list them out here. All they would need would be a working config file for prophunt.

arena_yunshu_rc1 :
I found this map very interesting, it was a small map but it had a lot of space in it. It wasnt too crowded, and it had a lot of spots both down below and high up, you just had to look for them. It had a decent amount of healthpacks and the cp was easy to reach as well as easy to get out from. Only thing I didnt like was that it had a lot of nonsolid objects around the walls mixed with a lot of solid objects, so I feel like you could abuse those to hide inside of them a bit too easily.

arena_ferrous_rc1 :
This was a map that I personally liked a lot. It had a lot of space in it yet it still offered a lot of cover, it wasnt too big and overall it looked clean and simple. Only things I think would need to be changed in this is the cp placement and adding more props to give variety for the map.

arena_dropdown_rc1 :
This is definitely my favorite from the maps that I found, it was a medium sized map with a lot of props on it already. I saw a lot of potential in this map instantly, the CP is in a small room but the room it self has 3, basically 4 exits and a tricky little pit surrounding 2 of them. The indoor areas were neither too narrow nor too open, theyre challenging to run through if being chased but I feel like people would love the challenge.

arena_draft_b1 :
I could compare this map to Farmfeud really easily, its about the same size but offers a lot more cover both inside and outside. The CP is perfectly placed as it is, offering some cover but not too much, I feel like adding few trees and bushes here and there on the map would make a huge difference as well, also adding small healthpacks by the spawns would mean a lot better chances at survival. Overall I feel like people would love this map as it is.

arena_beck_rc :
I feel like this map is perfect for prophunt as it is. The CP was well placed and the map had a lot of props both inside and outside as it is, I dont think it would need any changes done on it, if anything adding a few small healthpacks around the spawns would be perfect.

From these maps id rank them in the following order :
1st arena_dropdown
2nd arena_beck
3rd arena_draft
4th arena_ferrous
5th arena_yunshu

the top 3maps would need barely any work to have them working perfectly for prophunt, all we'd have to do would be to figure out the proper map time and the propmenu.

Sorry for constantly swapping between weapons, its a bad habbit of mine. Anyhow, with a little work I think these maps would be perfect for prophunt.
Last edited by Abraham on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImageImage
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

They all seem like they fit the size description, but they all seem like they need a bit more decoration to accommodate for prop hunt. There's a lot of open space in these maps, so if there were more static props, it wouldn't be as easy to spot fake ones. Maybe it just me though. We could always put the top three in and see what work they need done if any.
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:They all seem like they fit the size description, but they all seem like they need a bit more decoration to accommodate for prop hunt. There's a lot of open space in these maps, so if there were more static props, it wouldn't be as easy to spot fake ones. Maybe it just me though. We could always put the top three in and see what work they need done if any.
I think Dropdown doesnt need any additions, I ran through the map for quite a while even after the video and it has a lot of spots you can fit in and some sneaky spots on ground for players who like to try something stupid.

Worked on Draft for around 8hours yesterday but decompiling the map breaks it complitely and its unfixable, unless I can reach the publisher to get the original .vmf file it cant be fixed, literally everything on the map is leaking and its causing the skybox get fucked up and lightining indoor to be extreamly dark.

Ive added somethings and opened some areas on Ferrous and am currently compiling it, after few tests the map seems to work just fine even after decompiling it.

I need to figure out if the auto respawn system and 3second uber after respawning that is apparently coded into the map on arena_beck, is an issue (Have no clue how to do this though), im planning on opening some of the roofs on that as well and changing some of the small healthpacks to medium healthpacks as well as adding some ammo on the map.

Unfortuneatly I believe yunshu needs too much work to get it fit for prophunt, after having a closer look on the map it has a lot of things in it that can cause problems on prophunt.
Last edited by Abraham on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Yang Xaio Long
Veteran

Post by Yang Xaio Long »

I have been working on ph_control and i feel that its ready to be "re-evaluated" in a sense :lol:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybvvqf0jvlw44 ... 1.rar?dl=0

EDIT: I know the music doesnt work right. I don't know what is causing this to happen, I'm currently working on it though.
Last edited by Yang Xaio Long on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit 23/11/21: What d'ya want? If you're here from 2021 and beyond and you want to find me, you can find me at → speedrun.com/user/Mr.Blonde ←

One Vision, One Purpose! The Technology of Peace. Peace Through Power

PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

I think it'll play well, but the health pack / ammo kits may need to be more effectively distributed. I really love the idea of the music buttons disappearing after being pressed.

I don't know if there's a static prop for the actual rectangular wall computers. I think those would work well in the map.

I know the blue floor on the second level was a temporary color, but it's actually very soothing to play.
Yang Xaio Long
Veteran

Post by Yang Xaio Long »

PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:I think it'll play well, but the health pack / ammo kits may need to be more effectively distributed. I really love the idea of the music buttons disappearing after being pressed.

I don't know if there's a static prop for the actual rectangular wall computers. I think those would work well in the map.

I know the blue floor on the second level was a temporary color, but it's actually very soothing to play.
The feedback is appreciated Pembroke :thumbup:
EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4mwob4v2lr47 ... 1.rar?dl=0
If you want the sound files to work correctly place them into the "Team Fortress 2/tf/sound" file and then load the map.
Last edited by Yang Xaio Long on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Edit 23/11/21: What d'ya want? If you're here from 2021 and beyond and you want to find me, you can find me at → speedrun.com/user/Mr.Blonde ←

One Vision, One Purpose! The Technology of Peace. Peace Through Power

Marshii

Post by Marshii »

Just want to clarify a few things that Abra alluded to.

I did indeed ask for maps to be removed because at the time they were causing more drama than they were worth and were greatly affecting me psychologically. A combination of that and being facetious led to my request. You can probably find it if you do a search of my name on the forums, but if I remember it was only Nightclub.

I'm not going to comment on the other maps and rest of the thread because what can be said already has.

If you wanted to add Petitcourtyard back, I would suggest that you take a look at my dropbox because I have renamed it, for clarity, to ph_academy. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g6dleda71h6u ... ev-Ha?dl=0

Equally, Blockfort was disliked because it was 'cluttered and small' which, as abra said is paradoxically conflicting with general play patterns on the server. That being said I don't mind making a few small tweaks to the layout as that will not take very long at all, but also make the map more enjoyable for less mobile classes and provide a few extra hiding and running opportunities.

I have had an idea for Nightclub V3 but with my new job starting in a matter of weeks, I'd need a hefty response requesting such work be done as it would be something of a restructuring akin to the step up from v1 to v2.

The big question, as ever, and as Jasmine highlighted, is that it's all been done before. New maps have excitement initially and are later shunned (see Skyrail) and the typical map rotation does not change (by which I mean the maps that are played). The discussion comes up time and again in vain.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

I don't think we should be afraid to try new maps. Otherwise, we'll find ourselves complaining about constantly playing the same 10 maps while our player base keeps shrinking.

I think what's most important is that, while not every player has to like a new map, we want to keep people in the server. It's a trial-and-error process, and I don't think we should give up on the idea of adding new maps.
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

As much as people keep saying that nothing ever changes as it is the culture of the server, and has been for many years. Points + Kills = Godlike = Respect.
It's one thing to say "Let's be open to trying new maps, we want more maps on the server", yet in this very same thread people are talking about removing maps, or changing them. 'Trying' a new map often means 1 time played and conclusions jumped to.

Where you say "Not every played may like a map" - there is usually a rough consensus among regulars and that is who the server caters to. Again, deja-vu.

One needs to address the player mindset before they alter the server at this point, otherwise it is a fruitless venture.