Prop Hunt Maps

Abraham
Veteran

Re: Prop Hunt Maps

Post by Abraham »

PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:My first thought about Dust is that it's way too bright. I turn down my brightness and it's still too bright. I find it hard to play in for this reason.

But it's compact and easy to navigate. Despite being small, it still feels like there enough places to hide.
Ill be updating this map as well in near future. Opening more roof areas, making small hp packs into medium ones and possibly widening some areas, as well as turning down the brightness. Realized its impossible to see shit when covered in jarate.

In its current form it seems too crowded and small with more than 7players on each team, definitely needs more work done on it, im also possibly removing the so called long doors by red spawn as they are horrible choke points in their current form, all it takes is bad timing and 2hunters and youre dead.
Last edited by Abraham on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

arena_dropdown is officially lost cause if I cant get my hands on the original .vmf file of the map. Decompiling the map causes literally everything on the map to leak and the only way I know how to fix it is to remove literally every entity on the map, causing the map to be yet again, unplayable. Either the map will do as it is or it shouldnt get back on the rotation, from where I see it the map should be added on the server neverless atleast for the time being.
ImageImageImage
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

Not sure if we should leave it on the rotation. We might want to hear what other regulars think about it before removing it. I personally don't like it because It's very hard to hide on, despite it being a decent size.
Last edited by PembrokeWelshCorgi on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Yang Xaio Long
Veteran

Post by Yang Xaio Long »

I updated ph_control
ph_control_c3 If you find any issues with this current version please reply on this thread or private message me on the forums as I won't be able to respond via Steam.
Last edited by Yang Xaio Long on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit 23/11/21: What d'ya want? If you're here from 2021 and beyond and you want to find me, you can find me at → speedrun.com/user/Mr.Blonde ←

One Vision, One Purpose! The Technology of Peace. Peace Through Power

Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

PembrokeWelshCorgi wrote:Not sure if we should leave it on the rotation. We might want to hear what other regulars think about it before removing it. I personally don't like it because It's very hard to hide on, despite it being a decent size.
I asked Fire to temporarely take it down before I started working on it as I thoght it'd be for the best, so its already off the rotation, we need to decide do we re add it.
Last edited by Abraham on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Bench

Post by Bench »

Does anyone know for the reason why I always have to redownload ph_cchotel_b3 whenever we play on it? I tried playing the map offline and I don't receive crash reports. I also connected to another server with the map and did not have to redownload. This means that it is an issue with the server and I would be happy to know if there is a fix.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Bench wrote:Does anyone know for the reason why I always have to redownload ph_cchotel_b3 whenever we play on it? I tried playing the map offline and I don't receive crash reports. I also connected to another server with the map and did not have to redownload. This means that it is an issue with the server and I would be happy to know if there is a fix.
Happens to literally everyone I know, not sure why.
Last edited by Abraham on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Yang Xaio Long wrote:I updated ph_control
ph_control_c3 If you find any issues with this current version please reply on this thread or private message me on the forums as I won't be able to respond via Steam.
I'm a bit late to the party on this one; Haven't been around. So before I go to bed, here's my two cents:

Computer walls are all sticking out from the walls sporadically. I'd suggest building them a cabinet just to satisfy the aesthetic.
You also get stuck clipping on the top of the computer wall props.

The main rooms are huge, with nothing to really fill them. what props there are in the upstairs and downstairs rooms, they're so sparse, it leaves absolutely no room for strategic running, spare for very few obstacles.
I would advise adding in walls. A bit like Maze, but not as devilish, and not going from floor to ceiling, creating an ACTUAL maze.

...There is a chair floating in midair...and one IN the ground...wat...

The lights on the roofing is a bit of an eyesore. It's so chaotically spread around.

The clipping on the window in the side "laboratory" is misaligned; you clip on it from underneath. It's pretty clunky.
The textures on the glass aren't properly aligned.
The door opening downward to the "computer room" is personally confusing when it opens downwards. This is just a personal nitpick.
The wall around the window by the aforementioned door is not correctly lined up; there is a small gap.
On the other side of the room, same situation.

I honestly don't understand why the cables in that room have clipping/Vphysics. That's just absurd.

I discovered the secret passage completely by chance. The walls are not aligned around the corners, and platforms clip through the walls, the floors and ceilings don't line up at all.
Personally, I would highly suggest removing the vents entirely, or have them actually lead somewhere. They're currently just over-sized deathtraps that just make the map unnecessarily bigger.

There is a single max health pack (completely exploitable) and ammo pack. I suggest placing only small health and ammo packs around the map evenly, rather than leaving a cluster that can be camped. CP camping is already an issue as is.
With that, remove the small healthpacks surrounding the CP. I personally hate them on Brawl as is.
Having said that, I also highly suggest adding [NOBUILD] tools over the CP and in doorways.

Overall, it's a good concept, but it feels too empty, and too clunky. 98% of walls and objects are not actually aligned with a grid whatsoever.
Some very heavy revisions would be necessary to make it properly playable, I feel, as well as proper map optimisation (AreaPortals/hint blocks/etc).
With this, I would also highly recommend rotating various props, so that there is an inconsistency. At the moment, the frogs alone all face the same direction. It just looks out of place.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

I was spectating Samba as he was testing the map, and as unfortuneat as it might sound, I have to agree with him. The vents need to be atleast a lot shorter, and as said above, lead somewhere, right now its either a deathtrap or a way to extend the round to maximum.
ImageImageImage
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Updated ph_dust2_2x2 from v1 to v2. Added a secret room, widened the "short" area that is the pathway above BLU spawn, opened one more roof area, turned down the lighting on the map and removed the doors close to RED spawn since they were a massive choke point on the original map. Sent the link of the map to Fire and it should be updated in sometime.
Last edited by Abraham on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage