Phishing Bots Lately.

EngiDesu

Phishing Bots Lately.

Post by EngiDesu »

(Not sure if it belongs here or whatever, but it seems relevant to the matter of trading.)

I know phishing bots has always been around. Here, there. Sometimes, you would get those annoying adds by those fuckheads and they only seem to waste your time. However, I noticed in the past few weeks (and I noticed it only slightly cooled down once school started getting into session) that phisher bots were going crazy. Even I don't have a large worth of a backpack (about $70), I'm getting about 5~10 adds a hour from phisher bots and they only seem to stop or slowed down after a certain item of mine went off the market. (For example, my Professional Killstreak Splendid Screen with Hypno Beam on it.)

Has anyone been harassed as of late by these pesky little bugs?
Last edited by EngiDesu on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Engi Desu ★ Owner of WrenchRekt Server Group ☆ Too Sassy For You
MartijnV
Veteran

Re: Phishing Bots Lately.

Post by MartijnV »

Got the same problem, not at that amounts of hour, but per day... sorta, I geuss that the bot's are only ''inviting'' players with expensive items for sale/in their backpack.

I just report them to valve for suspecting hijack with the fake steamcommunity url and i tell them what etc, and than remove+block them
Last edited by MartijnV on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Ive only noticed that the bots add the ones who are selling something over 5keys worth. Best way to get around them is just to add in profile "Comment before adding" just like if using outpost/bazaar or something like them. Simply solution.
Last edited by Abraham on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Mindacos
Veteran

Post by Mindacos »

I get like 20 every day, probably because my bp is so phat. I'm used to it tho.
Last edited by Mindacos on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West

Post by West »

I've recently closed all of my trades on outpost, although I got no where near as many bots as you guys have. I maybe got like 1 every couple of days? I know that a while ago outpost made a change so that you would get significantly less bots upon bumping a trade (source). Since then, I've hardly had any bots add me, and I do have a somewhat significant backpack value (11.23 buds on bp.tf) so I think it must be due to how many trades you have open, what items you are selling, and if you have auto bump.
Last edited by West on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Drewski
Veteran

Post by Drewski »

I Have not gotten any over the past few days. However, I've gotten invited to like 5 Trading/Raffle groups in one night. (Some I've been invited to right after i clicked "ignore") I Don't know if this is ususal becuease My BP is only woth like 2 Buds.
Last edited by Drewski on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Add me on steam! Click the globe icon to go to my profile!
PC Specs
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

Ugh, after posting here i'ts getting more like EngiDesu... 5~10 add's a hour, from now on im ignoring their requests; if a persons profile is private.
Last edited by MartijnV on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
Dr. Axel Link
Veteran

Post by Dr. Axel Link »

I think besides how large of an inventory you have, it's how often your account is linked to anything. Like TF2outpost, when you add a new trade or bump it. And when you put something on the market, they can find a name quickly and add you. It's all about how quickly they can get to your profile without having to do a large scale search. The less ways to get to you the less bots, I'm assuming this anyways.
Last edited by Dr. Axel Link on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
EngiDesu

Post by EngiDesu »

Dr. Axel Link wrote:I think besides how large of an inventory you have, it's how often your account is linked to anything. Like TF2outpost, when you add a new trade or bump it. And when you put something on the market, they can find a name quickly and add you. It's all about how quickly they can get to your profile without having to do a large scale search. The less ways to get to you the less bots, I'm assuming this anyways.
That's seems to be the case; however, I think most of the phishers normally originate from TF2Outpost.

Because when I normally bump a large valued item (normally worth a key or more), the phisher bot are out and come adding me in a hurry. However, if I'm only bumping items that are only worth 1 ref or 1.66, then they hardly ever check me. There are sometimes you don't even have advertisements up and they still add you for some god forsaken reason.
Last edited by EngiDesu on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Engi Desu ★ Owner of WrenchRekt Server Group ☆ Too Sassy For You
Hipster_Trip

Post by Hipster_Trip »

If you ever even logged in on TF2OP or CSGO lounge and posted a trade, you get bots sent to you no matter what.

Just in case, if you have chrome install this shit.
Last edited by Hipster_Trip on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:29 am, edited 4 times in total.