[PSA - Scam] "QUICKSELLING $50+ item FOR $15!!!!"

EngiDesu

[PSA - Scam] "QUICKSELLING $50+ item FOR $15!!!!"

Post by EngiDesu »

Alrighty. Since I already had to ban three of these fucking peasants in the past week and dealt with their blabber mouths on the side, I think we need to sling the curtain open on a new bullshit scam that seems to be making it's way around the market. It might be old to some people and you may roll your eyes at it; however, it's new to some people. So, I figure a PSA is warranted on this matter, even if this is a recycled scam from the past.

In the past few days, I've seen a few of these peasants coming onto my server and doing this exact shit right here:

Luckily, some of my regulars and the players hasn't been buying into the bullshit. Yet, I feel like it is warranting behavior (at the amount of intent to scam someone) to inform the server group of what the hell is going on. Especially to the people on the trade and idle/trade servers.

How does this scam work:
1) Person advertises the shit on the server that they're "selling" some $100 unusual or a bud for some insanely low price of $15.
2) Person catches the bait and gets lured into the trade, discussing the details of that trade.
3) The scammer would tell them to buy something off of the Steam Community Market (seems like it has been Dota 2 tickets) for about that price range first and then (s)he would give you that said item for exchange for the funds.
4) You listen to them and you patiently wait for them to do so.
5) You get scammed.
Very easy ways of it being a scam:
1) When the scammer sends you the link to buy the said item off of the Marketplace, check the buyer (s)he is trying to get you to buy it from. If that person is befriended with them or has VAC bans on record, you may want to avoid.
2) The item amount, obviously. You don't see people selling a $100 unusual for $15 bucks at all, right?
3) If the person is getting impatient or pushy with you for asking questions or telling them to trade first, don't do it.
Obviously, I rather want people to avoid these type of peasants on our servers and throughout the whole game. Sure, we can blame the victim for being dumb enough for get caught in these traps; however, some people don't realize these traps until they're neck-deep into it. It's better to inform the community of these scams ahead of time, so we can inform our player base and cut these sharks dry of their food in a hurry. I'm very sure these scams are starting to make its debut and we might have more of these assholes on soon. Better to kill it now than let it grow.
Last edited by EngiDesu on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
Engi Desu ★ Owner of WrenchRekt Server Group ☆ Too Sassy For You
Drewski
Veteran

Re: [PSA - Scam] "QUICKSELLING $50+ item FOR $15!!!!"

Post by Drewski »

Thank you for posting this. Even though I don't go onto the trade servers often, I still feel like this has helped me. I had no idea of this untill you posted it. And I feel like we should be on the look out for any of this on all the servers. Also, I'd like to give out a tip that I've noticed that may help against bots.

Don't accept Friend Request if...

Private Profile
No Groups or friends in common
Add me on steam! Click the globe icon to go to my profile!
PC Specs