Off-Color Joke on TS

Spreilly

Off-Color Joke on TS

Post by Spreilly »

Your Steam Community Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/spreilly/
Your Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:42520477

Which Admin Punished You: (Check http://disc-ff.com/sourcebanstf2/index.php?p=banlist if you were banned)
Type of punishment(ban, mute, silence or gag): Idjit
Server where you received the punishment: TS

How long they punished you for: 1 week (initially 2 weeks)

Reason why they punished you: Off-color joke, ignoring admins.

Reason why you think this punishment is unfair/uncalled for/biased, etc.:

I'm not disputing the ruling, but I am disputing the punishment, as it does not fit the crime. Basically said that we must honor our fallen brothers from the WTC attacks, then played the Allahuakbar sound clip. I thought Idjit had a sense of humor, but apparently not. He warned me that I would be banned (I did not hear the length, I assumed it would be for a few hours or a day). Poor taste? Maybe. I do think that it's a big overreaction, though, for a week (it was initially two weeks). I'd accept a day long ban.

Reason why we should remove the punishment:

I'm an upstanding and active member of the community and a former admin who made an off-color joke. Cut me some slack.
Spoiler
i7-2600k | GTX660 GPU | P67 Sabertooth | 2x500GB Samsung EVO SSD | Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
Idjit
Veteran

Re: Off-Color Joke on TS

Post by Idjit »

I think the ruling is perfectly fitting. I gave you a very clear verbal warning that you responded to, assuring me that what you were going to play was "going to honor those who had died on 9/11". I told you flat out that if you did in fact play something disrespectful, I would ban you for a week. This wasn't just an "Off-color joke", but blatantly disrespectful, ignorant, and entirely uncalled for. People died that day, and it was a horrible tragedy.

Ban should stay.
Last edited by Idjit on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
Neko
Veteran

Post by Neko »

I was there when this went down so here's what happened. He comes into the channel while I'm talking and says he wants to honor our fallen soldiers and play something to commemorate the anniversary of 9/11. When told if he played something stupid or spammed he would be banned, he said "Nonono, its to honor the fallen soldiers and people who died in the world trade center." So not only was he warned, but he replied and acknowledged that. He then played "ALLAHU ACKBAR" on the mic and said "Okay it's done."
https://github.com/SollyVR
Add me on VRChat: "Solly."
Add me on Steam: linked to my forums website.
Spreilly

Post by Spreilly »

AnonymousGhost wrote:I was there when this went down so here's what happened. He comes into the channel while I'm talking and says he wants to honor our fallen soldiers and play something to commemorate the anniversary of 9/11. When told if he played something stupid or spammed he would be banned, he said "Nonono, its to honor the fallen soldiers and people who died in the world trade center." So not only was he warned, but he replied and acknowledged that. He then played "ALLAHU ACKBAR" on the mic and said "Okay it's done."
The joke is that I want to remember our fallen brothers who died during the World Trade Center attacks (specifically avoiding referring to the perpetrators as female or as heroes). Classic bait and switch. Classic dark humor. I've made this joke a few times to laughs (on other TS servers), but I didn't expect for such a harsh rebuke. It is off-color, but it does not deserve such a lengthy ban.

I'm as American as a Trump-voting apple pie, but is 15 years still "too soon"? (AND IT'S NOT EVEN THE 11th!)
Last edited by Spreilly on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler
i7-2600k | GTX660 GPU | P67 Sabertooth | 2x500GB Samsung EVO SSD | Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
Neko
Veteran

Post by Neko »

I didn't reply to try to help either side with the ban. I put my comment to verify what happened because I was there.
https://github.com/SollyVR
Add me on VRChat: "Solly."
Add me on Steam: linked to my forums website.
Spreilly

Post by Spreilly »

AnonymousGhost wrote:I didn't reply to try to help either side with the ban. I put my comment to verify what happened because I was there.
It's a fine line that chopping what I said goes across. I understand that you didn't try to help me or condemn me, but taken out of context...
Last edited by Spreilly on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Spreilly

Post by Spreilly »

And what about Holocaust jokes? I'm sure I've heard a few on TS during my time here, are we gonna ban people that tell them? Cause if you say it's disrespectful to those that died and what they stood for, then I'll say that it's disrespectful to deny my freedom of speech, my right to tell these jokes, no matter how off-color, cause so many people died during and after 9/11 defending the first amendment.
Last edited by Spreilly on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

Given the fact that you're changing comments you make to things like 'Trump-voting apple pie", and saying things like
He warned me that I would be banned (I did not hear the length, I assumed it would be for a few hours or a day)
I'm assuming you're taking warnings and this entire appeal as a joke. I would also like to point out that you will not be cut slack because you've played on our servers for a little while.

You seemed to be perfectly fine with being banned for 1 Day, so hopefully being banned for 7 Days will help you realize that you should take the admins, and their warnings, seriously.
Last edited by Idjit on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
Spreilly

Post by Spreilly »

Idjit wrote:Given the fact that you're changing comments you make to things like 'Trump-voting apple pie", and saying things like
He warned me that I would be banned (I did not hear the length, I assumed it would be for a few hours or a day)
I'm assuming you're taking warnings and this entire appeal as a joke. I would also like to point out that A: You've never been an admin and B: You will not be cut slack because you've played on our servers for a little while.

You seemed to be perfectly fine with being banned for 1 Day, so hopefully being banned for 7 Days will help you realize that you should take the admins, and their warnings, seriously.
Wew.

-I was a Deathrun admin, proof here: http://www.disc-ff.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1903#p33021 Ask CopperTop and Dubstab (and Fire, if he remembers me). Please check your facts first.
-I'm not saying that I should be unpunished, but the punishment should fit the crime, and I do not believe it does.
-Unlike you, I do actually remember when 9/11 took place. I had an Uncle who worked in the building next door to the WTC. So coming in here telling me that I'm taking this as a joke is extremely disrespectful and extremely disappointing from a DISC-FF admin.
Last edited by Spreilly on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

Spreilly wrote: -I was a Deathrun admin, proof here: http://www.disc-ff.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1903#p33021 Ask CopperTop and Dubstab (and Fire, if he remembers me). Please check your facts first.
-I'm not saying that I should be unpunished, but the punishment should fit the crime, and I do not believe it does.
-Unlike you, I do actually remember when 9/11 took place. I had an Uncle who worked in the building next door to the WTC. So coming in here telling me that I'm taking this as a joke is extremely disrespectful and extremely disappointing from a DISC-FF admin.

Corrected myself after looking into it a bit more, as you weren't listed.

As I've said before, the punishment fits the crime perfectly well. My reason is up above.

Actually, to let you know, my father lost a very close childhood friend in 9/11. He was at my father's wedding, He was around when I was a child, and we lost him in a horrible event. We still visit the memorial every now and again to find his name and pay our respects. I'm not here to make this personal, however. Bottom line is, you were warned not to make the joke, you were warned not to micspam, yet you did anyways. You've been punished, and as I've said before, I believe the ban should stay.
Last edited by Idjit on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.