No Man's Sky

Anomaly
Veteran

No Man's Sky

Post by Anomaly »

Anyone else pre-order?

The PS4 launch has seen a few bugs. Players found each other on their first day and due to server instance issues (which are being worked on) were unable to see each other. It's from an indie studio, so I expected launch bugs. Either way, I AM SO FREAKING HYPED to play on the PC! There are a lot of people saying it's boring but that's probably because they thought it would be a story driven game when it's never been marketed as such. It's very chill and laid back and you explore and discover at your own pace. It's not Freelancer or Battlefield, I don't know why people are even complaining about that. I love the PS4 version but it's going to be for the kids mostly. #pcmasterrace. My only complaint is the inventory management system but the devs said they are working on it. Additionally I got stuck inside of an asteroid when I was speeding around once, but it wasn't much hassle freeing myself.

I don't normally hype for games, but this is a true AAA title from a small indie team and this might pave the way for other indie teams to try something as ambitious and THAT is ALWAYS a good thing, and for that I am showing my support.

Apparently there are a lot of hidden easter eggs waiting to be discovered, and lots of upcoming patches and hints at major DLC releases (new ships? ;o) already. I hope this turns into something I can't put down.

(Note I DID try to be biased here, I did list a few bugs and issues).

HYPE LEVEL [||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]

I really hope that eventually we can have player made factions/companies like in Eve Online, if not in this first iteration of the game than in a sequel.
Last edited by Anomaly on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss
Sir Spookleton
Veteran

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Sir Spookleton »

Well, if they couldn't see each-other, then it truly was...no man's sky!
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

hopefully it wont be fps locked like the ps4 release.
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

Mitch wrote:hopefully it wont be fps locked like the ps4 release.
I'm hoping too. I doubt it will be. I can see why they would want to do it on the PS4 though for syncing purposes to make the game visually smoother.

I do know we're getting FOV sliders in the next big patch. That's already been confirmed.
Last edited by Anomaly on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss
McKon
Veteran
Location: The Netherlands, North-Brabant, Dongen, Oranjeplein 53

Post by McKon »

I see this game as a canvas with some paint on it. With just a couple more stripes you can make a great painting out of this.
-McKon
Armen
Veteran

Post by Armen »

I purchased it on the PC but quickly refunded it.
Not because I didnt want to play but I just really wanted to play it as soon as possible. And just because it gives me another reason to play my PS4 more instead of it collecting dust.

It is very beautiful. A bit confusing and small storages so you gotta know how to manage well.
But it's pretty fun overall. 18 billion billion planets is a lot you know.
Last edited by Armen on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

Armen wrote:It is very beautiful. A bit confusing and small storages so you gotta know how to manage well.
But it's pretty fun overall. 18 billion billion planets is a lot you know.
I ended up deciding it's a chill game so I'll have it on both. PS4 for the family and PC for me.

And yes, it's beautiful. If anything I bought it just for that. It seems people are split on the crafting, some people are saying it's too simple and others are saying it's too confusing. I'm sort of in the middle, but I'm not to the "needing to use google" point yet. Again, it is empty and on PS4 there is no evidence yet of being able to see other players yet, although it's apparently a bug but they're being vague about that. Either way, single or multi-player, I've been enjoying the hell out of it.
Last edited by Anomaly on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to add me!

goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

It's a large universe, sure, but the assets are often re-used. Similar looking creatures, re-used textures everywhere, and pretty static NPCs from what I've been reading/watching.

I personally don't think it's worth the full price. If it drops down a bit, maybe I'll pick it up.
Retired.
SpicyCandy
Forum Mod

Post by SpicyCandy »

Article mentions that these although plants and animals may used reused textures/models, etc, many reviews and/or players who have already tried the game have noticed no lack in diversity; most creatures that were encountered looked significantly different in one or more ways, which is reassuring. The same goes for planets as well.

I'm rather excited for the chill aspect. In the aforementioned link, Sean used the phrase "very very chill game", and that's just what I'm looking for. The whole Sci-Fi theme to it is only an added bonus to me.

However, I am hoping the whole "meeting others" incident was merely a bug. There's a lot of speculation around it and nothing's really solid. Sean himself has yet to release a concrete answer.

Edit: I would like to add: I did purchase this game using TF2/CSGO funds and used none of my own money. If I did not possess any online assets, I would NOT have bought this game.
Last edited by SpicyCandy on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

goinundercover wrote:the assets are often re-used
goinundercover wrote:re-used textures everywhere
So.... just like TF2? It's a procedural generated survival game and it has always made this clear as crystal. I don't understand why people seem so suddenly shocked by this when it's been apparent in literally every live session and trailer there has ever been for the game. People say this to almost every single game in this genre, especially minecraft, and I just don't get it and I think they're kind of missing the point.

I don't mind reused assets. I'm in it for the easter eggs, the survival aspects, and most importantly ALL OF THE HINTED AT AWESOME HIDDEN SHIT (large space ships?) THE REVIEWERS HAVE NOT EVEN FOUND YET. I'm also planning to take my time, explore, and not rush to the wonder of whatever lays at the middle of the galaxy to end the game.

Note that I have about 20 hours in and have rarely seen reused assets at all. So it's diverse enough for me.

I would, however, like to see where I have already been shown on the map with maybe a special marker to remind me where I started from so I can see my progress. Apparently the overview was rushed, and this might be a thing that's going to eventually be patched in? Time will tell.

I would also like to see more buildings, especially a way to build our own with furniture, but that's probably asking too much. It would be neat, though.
SpicyCandy wrote:However, I am hoping the whole "meeting others" incident was merely a bug. There's a lot of speculation around it and nothing's really solid. Sean himself has yet to release a concrete answer.
Yeah that part kind of upsets me, but even if it was a bug I don't expect to meet other players. It would be nice since they kind of said it was possible, but I doubt it will ever even happen to me even if it was a bug. It's not deviating how much I have enjoyed playing.

Note: To Spicy's point about purchasing, the only reason I pre-ordered (for both systems) was mostly to support them and help them launch successfully. If I wasn't in it for that I wouldn't have paid full price either and would have waited on a sale as the pre-order bonuses are not worth it and pre-order bonuses in general hurt games overall. Again, they launched with tons of more development put into patches over time in mind, so whatever complaints there may be will be addressed as time goes on, which is another reason why I didn't mind paying full price.
Last edited by Anomaly on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Feel free to add me!