New DISC-FF Server? Feedback

Neko
Veteran

Re: New DISC-FF Server? Feedback

Post by Neko »

Anomaly wrote:So far Minecraft is winning, plus Spicy kind of counts as two votes. Again you guys will have to give me a couple of days to get it setup and let sakura ssh into it to set it up. :)
I can dig a MC server
Last edited by Neko on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://github.com/SollyVR
Add me on VRChat: "Solly."
Add me on Steam: linked to my forums website.
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

Alright I think it's settled then. I'll install it in the rack tomorrow and get Server 2008 RC2 (per Sakura) loaded on it and get it ready for her to take it over.

Anyone else hyped? :D
Last edited by Anomaly on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

Anomaly wrote:
White Sedan wrote:But we already had a minecraft sserver that died
It was because of the stability mostly. Also it needed more pumpkins.

As far as stability goes, this one is going to be non-virtual and non-metered. It should be perfectly stable as long as my fiber doesn't fuck up. :)

Sakura's server only had like 4gb of RAM, this one will have at least 32gb.
Sakura's server has less than 2gb of RAM, and died from lack of resources. When I hosted one it died due to my own personal connection issues.

If you get one up and running, I would love to see it get populated (but still whitelisted).

From what I recall, due to memory allocation, the tps of the server can drop if too much memory is allocated to the server (8GB+), but I hope that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd personally wouldn't setup a windows server to run game servers, but it's up to you.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Anomaly wrote:
White Sedan wrote:But we already had a minecraft sserver that died
It was because of the stability mostly. Also it needed more pumpkins.

As far as stability goes, this one is going to be non-virtual and non-metered. It should be perfectly stable as long as my fiber doesn't fuck up. :)

Sakura's server only had like 4gb of RAM, this one will have at least 32gb.
I'm not entirely sure how modded minecraft might work but being able to tether minecraft servers to reduce load across multiple worlds might help.
Last edited by Mitch on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

MoneyKidKing wrote:Sakura's server has less than 2gb of RAM, and died from lack of resources. When I hosted one it died due to my own personal connection issues.

If you get one up and running, I would love to see it get populated (but still whitelisted).

From what I recall, due to memory allocation, the tps of the server can drop if too much memory is allocated to the server (8GB+), but I hope that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd personally wouldn't setup a windows server to run game servers, but it's up to you.
This is correct, but I can adjust the amount of RAM allocated to the process via RAP. I'll probably keep it at 8gb.

As far as the OS goes, that's sakura's call and she will be managing it, however if it causes an issue I can switch to Ubuntu server and she'll just have to get over it. This probably will not be necessary as I use a very, very bare bones and highly stable version of Server 2008 R2. It should only need a reboot once a year or so, although that won't matter because it won't be behind a UPS for now (out of slots).
Mitch wrote:I'm not entirely sure how modded minecraft might work but being able to tether minecraft servers to reduce load across multiple worlds might help.
This won't be necessary as I will be allocating resources appropriately. I don't want to make it decentralized or use one of my other (much more powerful) servers either. Most likely I will be replicating from one partition to the other and that's about it.

The java heap is the only thing that worries me, but I'll read up on it.
Last edited by Anomaly on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

Mitch wrote:I'm not entirely sure how modded minecraft might work but being able to tether minecraft servers to reduce load across multiple worlds might help.
This won't be necessary as I will be allocating resources appropriately. I don't want to make it decentralized or use one of my other (much more powerful) servers either. Most likely I will be replicating from one partition to the other and that's about it.

The java heap is the only thing that worries me, but I'll read up on it.[/quote]

I believe he's talking about running a separate server instance for each world (that can communicate with each other) that would hopefully prevent an overall server crash. As far as I'm aware, something like that only works with bukkit, but there might be a forge mod, or perhaps spigot (a bukkit/forge crossover) updated. I however haven't looked at doing server stuff in Minecraft for years, so my knowledge is definitely out of date.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
King Dong

Post by King Dong »

Mind Hosting my modpack? refer to my post
http://www.disc-ff.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8780

I have you on steam if you have any questions ect
ImageImage
McKon
Veteran
Location: The Netherlands, North-Brabant, Dongen, Oranjeplein 53

Post by McKon »

Are there any details on the Minecraft server already like modpack the use of a whitelist or difficulty?
-McKon
Armen
Veteran

Post by Armen »

A minecraft server, sure.
As long as it doesn't crash all the time.
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

Ok so I might have to put this off for a few extra days, I have a lot going on. I'll get to it! This is going to happen!
Feel free to add me!