New DISC-FF Server? Feedback

sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Re: New DISC-FF Server? Feedback

Post by sambawarkiddo »

SpicyCandy wrote:RP FEEDTHEBEEEAST SERVVEERRR
This and/or Killing Floor
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
SakuraTheBabyfur

Post by SakuraTheBabyfur »

MoneyKidKing wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
White Sedan wrote:But we already had a minecraft sserver that died
I'd personally wouldn't setup a windows server to run game servers, but it's up to you.
The reason i recommended a windows server is because virtually any game you want to run, windows will support it. if the operating system was linux, there are some games that arent supported. it might not make a huge difference, but it could save some issues in the long run.
Last edited by SakuraTheBabyfur on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Survivor of the Gaymen Apocalypse 2015
Gaymen wrote:Forum ban? Is that like a band full of faggots like Armen.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

If you want to try you could run a Gmod server, however one of the most valid reasons that we do not run a gmod servers is that they are a security risk. That and they are pretty difficult to setup, and also the community is pretty immature.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Mitch wrote:the community is pretty immature.
Last edited by goinundercover on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

goinundercover wrote:
My literal sides

Make me admin
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

Everything is ready to go, I just need to find my copy of Server 2012 R2 (the non-evaluation version) and install it. Sorry for the delay.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss
HakureiReimu_Husky

Post by HakureiReimu_Husky »

#WorthTheWait
This is goodbye.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

I'm curious on what CPU your specific box is running. It looks like this particular 1U rack server, the R310, is mostly based on stuff from 2009/2010 so there might be some concerns in terms of computing power depending on the game server hosted or the modpack used.

Also it appears the limit is 32GBs in this particular server based on Intel's ark and the R310 spec sheet. I don't think you'll ever reach that much memory usage in minecraft though, haha.
Retired.
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

goinundercover wrote:
This video completes my life
Last edited by Dongle on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

Update: I'm trying to get the network cable run approved currently (I move a lot so I rent) through property management from the 1st floor to the basement so I can network this server. I should have a response within 48 hours then I'll run the cable and drop an OS on the server, set a static, and let Sakura take over from there. :)

W E A L M O S T T H E R E B O I S !

The only issue I *might* run into is that my AS (medical condition) is flared up currently and is preventing me from reaching up for too long and I might have to take an extra day to recover before finishing the run as I'll be running the wire across the ceiling in the basement per building code. But by Tuesday at the latest we should be operational at least on my end.
goinundercover wrote:I'm curious on what CPU your specific box is running. It looks like this particular 1U rack server, the R310, is mostly based on stuff from 2009/2010 so there might be some concerns in terms of computing power depending on the game server hosted or the modpack used.

Also it appears the limit is 32GBs in this particular server based on Intel's ark and the R310 spec sheet. I don't think you'll ever reach that much memory usage in minecraft though, haha.
1x Quad-core Intel® Xeon® 3400 series CPU, there shouldn't be any CPU load issues. I've ran much more resource demanding processes on this same CPU with little issue. I believe the board supports dual Xeons? Not sure, but that's never usually worth it anyway.

In terms of RAM... stand by, I have not powered up the server yet to determine the amount, but I know it's at least 8gb which is fine. I would prefer 16 and dedicate 8 to OS and 8 to the server, but we'll see. I can also upgrade if needed, that's not an issue.

And yes, it's only 1U. I have a little tripp lite 12U rack in the basement. :)

Oh, yes by the way it does support up to up to 48GB (6 DIMM slots): 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB up to 1333MT/s.
Last edited by Anomaly on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss