TF2 and its Coding Stupidity

Taliu

TF2 and its Coding Stupidity

Post by Taliu »

I just wanted to make sure no one else fell for the same trap I did. I've mentioned a couple times before a weird crashing bug where the game still plays, and I can move my character on the server, but not client side. I finally found out what is causing it by tracking the code and a few helpful sites that have cracked open TF2's source code. The answer to my problem is that I installed TF2 on my second drive. I did this to save space. MOST GAMES would run on the second drive. But not TF2. Tf2 reads off the second drive, but tries to run on the first one. This means that if at any point they get out of sync, or one hits the weird memory limit that TF2 has set trying to communicate, it will stop running.

So a warning for anyone else. Download TF2 onto the Soft State Drive only. It is coded pretty poorly. (Also discovered it downloaded all the custom files twice, one on each drive to account for this... Why Valve?)
Armen
Veteran

Re: TF2 and its Coding Stupidity

Post by Armen »

I've never actually heard of this before.
That's pretty whack.
Taliu

Post by Taliu »

Armen wrote:I've never actually heard of this before.
That's pretty whack.
It is...
I've been wondering why I've been having these issues... For it to be something as stupid as that is annoying.
Last edited by Taliu on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Disable steam cloud synchronization, you're most likely having issues with that. I'm not sure what tf2 code you read but only the source SDK is legally released. It's public knowledge the source engine is terrible.
Taliu

Post by Taliu »

Mitch wrote:Disable steam cloud synchronization, you're most likely having issues with that. I'm not sure what tf2 code you read but only the source SDK is legally released. It's public knowledge the source engine is terrible.
I know it is called the source SDK, but to be honest, I only really play TF2 on it anymore... Either way, coded terrible.
Last edited by Taliu on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

I have TF2 installed on my second hard drive. I have no issues
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Anomaly
Veteran

Post by Anomaly »

I've moved TF2 back and forth between hard drives and have not had this issue. I use Steam Mover to do so.
Feel free to add me!

<22:54:21> "Person_Unknown": Anomaly, you're a great admin and you've got a bitchin' asss
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Anomaly wrote:I've moved TF2 back and forth between hard drives and have not had this issue. I use Steam Mover to do so.
Ive been moving it around manually and never had the issue either, there's no denying in tf2 being poorly coded but this doesnt sound like an issue that has anything to do with the game being on SSD or not
ImageImageImage