!!!READ THIS!!! - How to record video ingame

Scottish
Veteran

!!!READ THIS!!! - How to record video ingame

Post by Scottish »

With recent posts I've been seeing with complaints- you guys need actual physical evidence of someone or the witness of an official admin to take action- sadly but we need to keep a fair and non biased presence in our FF community. If you really want to get at someone who has not been caught, simply read along.

Here i will tell you how to record a video from CSS and convert it into an .avi format video with perfect quality with huge FPS and you wont have to worry about graphics or loss of FPS one bit.

This tutorial shows you how to use Source Recorder, a few console commands built into the Source console, that let you record videos up to 100 FPS, at perfect quality regardless of the quality of your computer. This works for any Source game.

In all of the steps, "moviename" can be whatever you want.

First get the K-Lite Codec Pack and VirtualDub.

1. Put "record moviename" in the console. Now, do whatever it is you wanted to be in the video. If you don't want your weapon or hud seen in the final, don't worry about it here. Those can be taken out later.

2. Enter "stop" when done.

3. Enter host_framerate 30, or whatever framerate you want your video to be. Also, set all video settings
to highest.

4. If you wish to remove HUD or gun, put in : bind k "cl_drawhud 0; r_drawviewmodel 0".

5. Put in "startmovie moviename"

6. Put in "playdemo moviename"

7. As soon as the demo starts, press K if necessary. The video will have awful lag. DON'T PANIC. This just means it's taking its time. Audio looping and laggy video are completely normal.

8. When the demo, or the part you wanted to record, is done, open the console and enter endmovie.

9. Exit the game, and open VirtualDub.

10. Go to File>Open and go to Valve/Steam/Steamapps and go to your game's directory.

11. Click moviename0000.tga.

12. If you want your video to be resized down from your game's resolution, go to Video>Filters, Add, and choose Resize. Set 640x480 or what you want, and in the drop-down box, choose Bicubic.

13. Go to Video>Compression and choose Xvid MPEG-4. It's highest quality, so good for editting.

14. Go to Audio>WAV audio. The WAV file should be in the same folder: moviename.wav.

15. If you put in anything other than host_framerate 30, then go to Video>Frame Rate and either enter your framerate or say "change so audio and video durations match". If you want slow-motion, you could make the WAV slower before putting it in VirtualDub, then choose this option.

16. Go to Audio>Full Processing Mode.

17. Go to Audio>Compression and choose MPEG layer 3, and an appropriate bitrate.

18. Go to File>Save as AVI.
Job Control optional step. If you are processing multiple videos, check the check box and save the other videos as well. Then, go to File>Job Control and click Start to do them all at one.

19. Click Save once you've put in a filename.

20. Pat yourself on the back, you've made an AVI...

21. Go to the game folder and delete all the moviename TGAs. Be careful not to select v.tga, or any game files. Also delete moviename.wav

source: http://forums.counter-strike.com/tools/ ... nsole.html

Play around with it, its easy once you get the hang of it- but yeah, if you can get hard video evidence of someone breaking the rules it makes it easier for us admins to bring out the ban hammer.

I suggest everyone who cares should know this since you can't get any better ingame evidence against someone than video proof.
Last edited by Scottish on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Oh Death... No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold
Nothing satisfies me but your soul."
Danksta

Re: !!!READ THIS!!! - How to record video ingame

Post by Danksta »

my demo file is .dem and does not work with virtual dub
Last edited by Danksta on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Re: !!!READ THIS!!! - How to record video ingame

Post by soulharvester »

because you have to use "Startmovie" to render it out to something else, then import the render to virtual dub.

Though at the moment I would recommend using whatever quicktime codec it suggests, seems to work the best/easiest for non-professional stuff.

it was h264 or some shit.

... might as well explain how to do it.

You have a demo right? Now launch CS:S, and type "Startmovie filename h264" into console.
after you do that, play the demo you want recorded with "playdemo filename" Now it's going to take it's time and render the gameplay into an actual video format, let it do this, it will most likely take a while.
After all that's done, type "endmovie" to tell source that you're not recording anything else for that file, and that it can finish up using that file.

last time I tried it, I got an MP4.

edit: Also you have to have quicktime installed.
Last edited by soulharvester on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.