A Player's Guide to Freak Fortress

SpicyCandy
Forum Mod

A Player's Guide to Freak Fortress

Post by SpicyCandy »

Hey guys, I had some spare time on my hands and I thought I might as well just make this for some of the new guys (if this would get read at all) to help them get more acquainted with Freak Fortress.

EDIT: if you have any suggestions, please post them below. I will change the guide depending on how much i see the weapon in usage and how effective it is. Please remember this is all from scratch and this is more of a prototype guide.

Also, if I make any large edits, I will post them below and note what I updated

4/22/13: Began Guide. Made Minor Changes. Finished Classes 1-6
4/23/13:

What is Freak Fortress?

Freak Fortress is a Gamemode similar to Saxton Hale, where a team of Reds fights 1 BLU (The Hale). However, in Freak Fortress, there are multiple bosses and we at Disc-FF offer two bosspacks with many different bosses with different abilities in each one.

How do we defeat the Hale?

Do what you do best. Shoot at it, stab it, shank it, do whatever damage you can to the Hale before the Hale can kill you. Which in most cases is a one-hit kill unless you are a Heavy/Soldier/Spy with a Dead Ringer.

What Map do we play on?

Our Freak Fortress servers offers a wide variety of maps that are really popular and amazing. Just hop into our server to check it out!

Class Guides: (The following info is somewhat biased from me, but I tried to gather what I have seen on FF2 for 3-4 months and from observing other players, I have attempted to make this guide unbiased. But it's still probably biased. Shoot me.)

All Class should equip:
High Five Taunt
A Fancy Hat

Scout:

The Scout is by far one of the most useless and annoying classes on Freak Fortress. Unless the player can land good meatshots on the hale consistently, the scout's effectiveness is very low. Perks are that scouts are fast and can run around the hale melee-ing it, gaining a few good damage points before running away. The Scout can also use the Sandman to stun the Hale and allow Spies to get in an easier backstab. All in all I would say the scout is more of just interference and backup.

Recommended Scout Loadout:

Primary:

Scattergun (MEAT SHOTS PEOPLE)
Shortstop (If you aren't that accurate, does great damage when crits are activated. Even at medium-far range)
Force-a-nature: Great for knocking back the hale and does fairly ok damage. Be careful not to blast the hale into other teammates.

Secondary:

Pistol: Automatically does Min-crits. 20 Damage each. Very useful at medium ranges. Runs out of ammo very quickly. Shares same ammo pool as Shortstop.
Pocket Pistol: Only useful if you know you are going to be running around and jumping off buildings. Otherwise, that +15 health isn't really going to help you

Melee:

Bat: Regular Melee. Still good.
Sandman: That -15 health doesn't matter. You're still gonna die in one hit. May as well have an added bonus for stunning.

SOLDIER:

You can either be really good or really bad at the soldier class. The Soldier class is great for blasting away the hale. DAT KNOCKBACK I TELL YOU. The Soldier is really only great at dealing damage if you crit your rockets. If you do and you blast away at that Hale, you're going to be doing your teammates standing next to you a great favor. Save a teammate with knockback should you see them being chased. Use rocket jumps. They will save your life.

Recommended Soldier Loadout:

Primary:

Default Rocket Launcher: 4 rockets, max damage, providing you don't miss your shots and those rockets are crits.
Black Box: You will be rocket jumping a lot to escape the hale and using this will save you when Med-kits or Medics are not around. The loss of an extra rocket is big though and you will feel that loss.

Secondary:

Gunboats: These things will save you. And save you health. i HIGHLY recommend gunboats.
Shotgun: A shotgun is great if you wanna get some quick range damage to the hale or distract it. But if you're using the shotgun at close range, chances are you're already dead.

Melee:

Escape Plan: With these babies, you can outrun the Hale. Highly recommended. The Equalizer...well you can get some extra damage, but if won't compare with damage you deal if you can escape and make a comeback.

Pyro:

Pyro Equip Set Recommended: Gas Jockey: Degreaser, Attendant, Powerjack. Grants 10% speed. Very useful.

If you are the hale, Pyro's can be annoying as hell. If you are a pyro against a hale, you can save teammates. Or screw them over. Depends on how much you utilize that Airblast and how much of an M1 Pyro you are. Because M1 pyros last about 2 seconds against a Hale. With Pyros, w/o your crits, your flamethrower does pathetic damage and will only be useful as a knockback force (although your teammates will love you for saving them). BE WARY: Airblasting increases the hale rage and costs ammo, so use it wisely! If you can utilize it well, you can be a great asset to any Hale-killing team.

Primary:

Regular Flamethrower: Because why not?
Degreaser: That -10% damage doesn't really count for anything as long as you have crits. The fast weapon switch is great if you can aim with the flare gun well and get a crit on it. 90 damage for a quick shot isn't too bad sometimes.
DO NOT USE PHLOG. No airblast, no glory. I mean, you get crits when you taunt anyways, so what's the point of this weapon?

Secondary:

Flare Gun: ^^^^90 damage on crit. Because why not.
Scorch Shot: Man. that knockback is annoying as hell. And it doesn't increase the Hale's Rage as much.
Shotgun: Pretty useful if you can shotgun-Airblast combo, although crits must come into play if you wanna rake in some nice damage.

Melee:

Powerjack: Only good for the Gas Jockey set in my opinion.
Default: Most melee weapons for the pyro are for removing sappers or hitting burned players. With all crits, what's the point?

Demoman:

The Demoman is a scary thing to deal with if you know how to use him right. Those critical stickybombs are nasty and can blast away the hale and deals some absolutely large damage that the hale can't afford to lose. If you wish to go Demoknight, you better know how to outmaneuver the hale and keep on gettings hits. I know a few guys that can run around the hale with an eyelander, score 10+ hits and run away. That grenade launcher is not fun to deal with either if it's crit-ed or not. The Demoman is a very versatile class and is considered a heavy hitter.

Primary:

Grenade Launcher: Probably very useful for it's unique way of bouncing and everything and whatever.
Loose Cannon: Deals great knockback. Very useful in saving yourself or teammates. Highly recommended.

Secondary: (Many)

Stickybomb launcher: 8 stickies. Try to taunt before laying the stickies out so you get those extra crit damages. Use this when you aren't that quick in responding to a Hale Break-in (Basically a Hale finds out where you/other teammates are hiding)
Scottish REsistance: Oh man, what an evil weapon against the Hale, especially when critical-ed. 14 pipebombs out. Place them in an inconspicuous area. If you hit the hale just right, you can land with 4K damage in one hit. Now that is some nasty damage right there.
Splendid Screen: The better of the two shields. With this equipped, the hale can hit you once and you will not be hurt. At all. but you will lose your charging ability and the next time you get hit, it's game over mate. You cannot get the shield back in anyway. The splendid screen really is not for bashing into the hale, it's more for racing towards the hale to surprise it or to run away should you feel that you would lose in a melee fight.

Melee:

Any Default: Great Damage.
Eyelander: Recommended, paired with the screen, you could really be a huge annoyance to the hale if you can land multiple hits. And for every hit you gain 1 head, so that's increased speed, health, and jumping. WHY NOT I SAY.

Heavy (POOOTIS)

Ok, the heavy is a really dependent class because the hale can afford to lose around 400-700 health when outflanking and hitting the heavy just twice to kill him. A Heavy with a dispenser, amplifier, and sentry next to him? Not a chance Hale. Better get away before you suffer. The Heavy really does need an amp if the player wants to deal some decent to good damage. If you are a heavy and you are shooting at the Hale, the hale will notice you out of the crowd of players. The Hale will come after you. And the HAle will deliver. Meaning " You! Yes You! You are dead!" If you stand next to an amp though (Or nicely time those taunts to gain 5 seconds of crits), you can deliver massive damage to the Hale and deal a bit of knockback, although it is nothing worth mentioning. Yay, Heavy is Kredit to team. However, due to the heavy's dependence on his teammates, he will not be classified as a heavy hitter.

Primary:

Brass Beast: Extra damage is always good. Although you will most likely be stuck in one place and if the hale comes up to you while you are shooting this weapon, good bye hoovy. You had a good life.
Strangely enough Default Minigun. Still deals great damage and can be deployed much faster, sometimes allowing more damaged to be dealt should the hale run away instead of confronting you.

Secondary:

Shotgun: Really, there are not great secondaries. You should be using your minigun Hoovy. Wat r u doin. If you run out of ammo, may as well go shotgun. You're dead anyways.
Sandvich: (Suggested by FF2 Admin) Somewhat useful if there if not medic around or you need to save a teammate from dying. Otherwise, stick to using that Minigun.

Melee:

All gloves that the heavy equips are changed into the Gloves of running urgently. This makes you run almost as fast as the scout, but at a price: You constantly lose health and at an alarming rate as well. Be sure to position yourself quickly so you can take at least 1 hale hit and not die instead.

Engineer:

Hales. Hate. Engies. Hales. Hate. Sentry guns. Even. More. I kid you not. Engies, When used correctly, deal massive damage and are usually the last man standing on most maps. There are only so many teleporting hale bosses and hales with guns. An engy Nest is even more frightening to take down, as the hale will need to have at least 2-3K of health to spare before tackling one. Engies caught in the open however without their sentry is easy game for the hale. It all depends on how well you take care of that Big gun of yours.

Primary:

Rescue Ranger: Let's be honest, you will not be using that shotgun a lot. Come on. Really. A good tactic is for the engy to draw the hale towards the nest, teleport, and right when the hale is going to destroy the sentry, BAM. You save your sentry. Or Dispenser.

Secondary:

Pistol: The pistol is crit-ed all the time and deals 45 damage per hit. Doesn't sound like much, but it will add up. That pistol is pretty damn good to use when the hale is out of range of your sentry.
Short Circuit: Ok. Hales will hate your guts. By short circuiting the hale, you automatically stun them for a good amount of time, say 4-5 seconds? When I play as hale, I really hate Short-Circuit Engies. They will annoy the crap out of you and it is hard to break an engy nest should a short-circuit Engy be present. Note: Short-Circuit does not affect Hale's w/ Fists as weapons. (This is seen often, although I cannot really confirm this yet)

Melee:

Jag: You know how they say, Use More gun? No. Keep your sentry at Level 2. Why? More knockback. More knockback makes an engy happy. And Alive. And that Faster build rate is great.
Gunslinger: If you are playing as a battle engy and your know your stuff,a gunslinger-Pistol combo can rack up at least 5K damage before you die, providing you can avoid being the in the hale's direct line of sight.

Always build a dispenser first if you have the wrench equipped. If you have the gunslinger equipped, go straight for the hale! (Have teammates with out or else a lone battle engy is a dead one. In a matter of seconds.)

Medic:

As a medic, you are great for saving teammates with ubers and keeping the Hale at bay. You are not a driving force which makes the hale back off, but if you uber a spy, the hale will face you and run backwards. Nothing they can do against a temporarily-invincible spy-medic combo. Keep in mind Medic, when healing a player, any damage they deal to the hale also counts as damage you deal to the hale as well. Thus, Medics tend to heal only certain targets for extended periods of time. Your Medi-gun has combined effects of the Quick-fix, Kritzkreg, and an extended uber duration. Still, if you happen to see a teammate injured, take 3 seconds out of your time just to heal them. They may help you in return. Keep in mind you start at 44-45 ubercharge when the round begins and whenever your uber wears off.

Primary:

Syringe gun really is an amazing weapon against the hale. Every hit adds 5 ubercharge. If a Hale charges you, be sure to shoot at it with the syringe gun and rack up that ubercharge. With any luck, you will be able to pop uber and save yourself and probably nearby teammates as well.

Secondaries:

Only the Medi-gun is really allowed (Confirmed?). No need to change to anything, as it has the combined effects of 3 other medi-guns. Keep in mind that the speed-boost that the quick-fix provides is also a perk of the medi-gun in Freak Fortress.

Melee:

If a Medic is reduced to melee, you have a very low survivability chance. Always stick to the syringe gun/medi gun combo unless you are confident in your outmaneuvering skills.

UberSaw: + 25 ubercharge. Really the only decent melee weapon for medic in this gamemode. Prepare for your examination.

Whew. Taking a break. I'll be back to update the rest of the classes later.
Last edited by SpicyCandy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Re: A Player's Guide to Freak Fortress

Post by goinundercover »

Jag > Wrench imo. Faster build time beats everything.
Last edited by goinundercover on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.
Dubstab
Veteran

an

Post by Dubstab »

SpicyCandy wrote:Scout:

Primary:

Scattergun (MEAT SHOTS PEOPLE)
Shortstop (If you aren't that accurate, does great damage when crits are activated. Even at medium-far range)
Force-A-Nature: Because of the pushback?
SpicyCandy wrote:Pyro:

Melee:

Default: Most melee weapons for the pyro are for removing sappers or hitting burned players. With all crits, what's the point?
Powerjack: Health generation.
SpicyCandy wrote:Heavy

Secondary:

Shotgun: Really, there are not great secondaries. You should be using your minigun Hoovy. Wat r u doin. If you run out of ammo, may as well go shotgun. You're dead anyways.
Any healthgeneration items (Sandvich/Dalokohs Bar/Buffalo Steak Sandvich.
SpicyCandy wrote:Engineer:

Primary:

Rescue Ranger: Let's be honest, you will not be using that shotgun a lot. Come on. Really. A good tactic is for the engy to draw the hale towards the nest, teleport, and right when the hale is going to destroy the sentry, BAM. You save your sentry.
Or dispenser to get fast metal and to build up your sentry again. After teleporting your sentry you don't have enough metal to build up your dispenser. So think about: Defence or building up? Think about your time you have to build up.

But I want to thank you for making this. I think you are doing a great job. :)
Last edited by Dubstab on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SpicyCandy
Forum Mod

Post by SpicyCandy »

Goinundercover:

Suggestion of Jag has been taken. Forgot about that wrench. Thanks.

Sure:

Suggestion of Force-of-Nature has been taken. Also happened to forget about that. Things happen when you type a guide up at 1:00 in the morning.

Suggestion of Powerjack taken, however it should be equipped as the Gas Jockey Set. Otherwise, a pyro should stay with his Flamethrower and secondary.

Suggestion of Heavy Sandvich/Buffalo/Chocolate:

Sandvich: (Tentative)
Buffalo: (Tentative due to Melee's already having full crits)
Chocolate: (Rejected). Only increases health by 50 points. The Hoovy will still die in 2 hits. The Hoovy should be more focused on using its primary anyways.
Last edited by SpicyCandy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dick_McSlick

Post by Dick_McSlick »

Forgot sniper, twas my favorite class in TF2.
Last edited by Dick_McSlick on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Someday I'll drive, close both my eyes. We'll swim in circles in the blue lights, it's gonna be the best day of my life
Need to contact me? Click the GIF below :3.

goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Dick_McSlick wrote:Forgot sniper, twas my favorite class in TF2.
It's also spicy's favorite class. lol. Reg sniper rifle for outline, smg for op damage,
Last edited by goinundercover on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Retired.
Dubstab
Veteran

Post by Dubstab »

Dick_McSlick wrote:Forgot sniper, twas my favorite class in TF2.
It's also spicy's favorite class. lol. Reg sniper rifle for outline, smg for op damage,
SpicyCandy wrote:Whew. Taking a break. I'll be back to update the rest of the classes later.
Last edited by Dubstab on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dubstab
Veteran

Post by Dubstab »

SpicyCandy wrote:Secondaries:

Only the Medi-gun is really allowed (Confirmed?). No need to change to anything, as it has the combined effects of 3 other medi-guns. Keep in mind that the speed-boost that the quick-fix provides is also a perk of the medi-gun in Freak Fortress.
Good:
Medigun: Gives if you activate the ubercharge a shield that protects you for the Hale/Freak.
Quick-Fix: Fast heal. If the Hale/Freak shoots a heavy, which he sometimes survives, you can just easily heal him back up with the ubercharge. The hale has not chance to defeat this heavy that easy, without taking the medic down.

Bad:
Kritzkrieg: You can use it, but... It only gives you crit. If you use the medigun and you activate it, you get a shield + you get crits. Unuseful.
Vacinator: You can not use this gun, this will be reseted to the normal medigun.
Last edited by Dubstab on Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
IAmJim

Post by IAmJim »

Does this even need a guide. I've resisted saying it for a few days now, but I honestly cannot express how useless this guide is.
Last edited by IAmJim on Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dubstab
Veteran

Post by Dubstab »

I do think this is usefull. We can just send a link to all the new players that don't know (yet) how to play this.
Last edited by Dubstab on Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.