[NEW] DodgeBall Guide.

Tornado123

[NEW] DodgeBall Guide.

Post by Tornado123 »

Hey some of you may know me on db. every one who plays lots of db knows me as some legend, so i am here to make a guide to help all the new db players who have no idea what they're doing (trust me they say it over the mic). Ok now we got that out of the way lets start the guide. There are 13 tricks on how to play. I'll tell you what they are and then tell you on how i play. There are also a few play styles you can do. I will also tell you something extra. we'll also talk about nukes. Also i will show you a command to put in the console. But i want to show you one thing first.

Art of Dodgeball
#1 Have fun. Not a tactical strategy, but if you are not enjoying yourself, why play the game?
#2 Watch your enemies, notice their patterns, anticipate their movement and tactics. Counter as best as you can.
#3 Watch your allies, notice their patterns, anticipate their movement and tactics. Blu may be your enemy, but a Red player standing behind you may make a panic orbit become a team kill.
#4 Know your strength. If you want to win a round you must rely on your strength. If you want to win games you must strengthen your weakness.
#5 All is fair 1v1 unless you both agree otherwise.
#6 Teammates are never to be trusted when it comes to nukes, frogs, or pumpkins.
#7 Dodgeball is competitive. They may have sharp tongues, however you must have thick skin.
#8 If you cannot out-skill another player, use another strategy.
#9 Be diverse and learn everything you can. Use your knowledge as a tool to defeat your enemies.
#10 When you give it your all and it’s not enough, it may be time for a break.

There are 3 types of nukes, Yeah you got your regular rocket but once in a while you have a nuke of some sort come out. If you do not know what these nukes are it will really mess you up. You have the regular nuke its a big fat rocket that comes out and rekt your day and it can kill you and a shit ton of your team mates if they are close enough, there are a few way to get rid of it and thats spiking it into the ground or wall. The Frog nuke is a tricky one, unlike the reg nuke that don't bounce this does, Be careful when some one bounce and it explode off the ground next to you, you have a high chance of turning into a frog it leave you open to be targeted. Now we got the pumpkin, the pumpkin is like your worst nightmare it has no trail so you got to keep your eye out, when you or your team mates die you will be scared taunted much like the frog but it's even harder to orbit. btw all the nukes have a far range so like the frog will turn every one into a frog if there close enough, same with the pumpkin. but the reg nuke will just kill every one if close enough. The best way to deal with these is really to stay back and let every one else deals with it, just hope it don't target you.

Note that the rocket targets you on who is the farthest, but some of these tricks can target in the front, Like flick , waves, back shot, etc. But we'll talk about those later.

#1 Orbiting~ What is orbiting you say, Well i'll tell you. orbit is where the rocket is coming after you and you can't dodge (yeah ik it's in the damn name, right?) Well if the rocket is coming then you would orbit right and make a perfect orbit but stay a speed lower then the rockets own of that time cause if you go too fast or too slow, either you are going to run into the rocket or get hit by it, ok. You can also orbit to around 236 mph i seen some one go higher before a known player name gritz has done this and so have i. Ofc when you go left its the same way just switch around. when it comes at you down the middle, if you side step either left or right you can make the orbit happen, but for the rocket to do a orbit around you, you must be slightly to the side., So the rocket can do the orbit, meaning side step slightly to the side. When orbiting you generally walk in a circle, that gets smaller depending on the rocket speed. For example, for a left(counter clockwise) orbit you press the following “wasdwasdwasdwasd…” and a right (clockwise)orbit would be “wdsawdsawdsawdsa…”
Please see the professional ms word drawing for reference.

#2 Switching~ Is were if the rocket gets to fast, move it to the side as you hit it and completely switch on them. This will probably piss them off but it is very useful to save your ass. When you switch remember be very on pont with your switches if you're even off a little bit you can die, and worst cost your team the win.

#3 Statue~ Is probably the hardest, if not one of the hardest on this list. Statue is where you sit and hit every thing. You just need good timing then you can do this, legit just sit, don't move and hit the rocket there is not mush to tell, you for something this hard it's very simple. I would stay away from cqcers they can kill you real quick if you are not careful. You normally up spike if someone is too good for you at statuing. If someone does this for you, back shot it. If they back shot it, predict and counter. If they counter, you're done for unless you do the same.

#4 Cqc~ Means close quarters combat, you go up to people to kill them. When you go up to people you must be aware of every one around you so you can do a cqc the right way. when you get a rocket targeted to hit the one you want in a very quick way, it will make it hard for them to react to it. When you're close to someone, you don't have time to see the rocket and prepare to hit it, so you have to predict the rocket direction and when he's going to air blast it. People airblast the rocket when it's in front of them*. So if they're orbiting, ab when the rocket passes in front of them. They can also only ab within a certain range, so you can learn that range and change your timing depending on the rocket's position. There's a cool down between air blasts, so if you air blast the rocket exactly before they do, they're done for. *There are exceptions. People with enough experience back shot it and have enough time to ab a 2nd time, leaving you dead.

#5 Drags~ Its where you take the rocket from one side of you and bring it back, so if the rocket gets behind you flick it back the same way that is what a drag is. This one is short cause this is legit what a drag is.

#6 Flicking~ A flick is where you move you mouse side to side, when hitting the rocket, so if it comes right you will flick left same the other way around. most people do it during speed to throw the other person off.

#7 Speeding~ Speeding is where you stand from a far and hit the rocket, And you try to get very high speeds. Be warn doing so leave people to steal the rocket from you.

#8 Stealings~ People are SO salty about stealing, Steals is all you do is take some one elses rockets and get other people kills.

#9 Timing~ Timing is where you need to be on point with the rocket, if you on not on point you mostly will die if you don't it means some one else stole the rocket or you orbit the rocket to save your life. Try to think what you are going to do, like think on how your gonna time it. How i am able to master my timing is i would put on Third person view and see how far the rocket is from me when i air blast i would do that for a few rounds for practice then go back too first person view to hit the rocket and i play like that but i keep how far the rocket is before i air blast in my mind. kind of like math where you take the ruler measurement to measure a piece of paper.

#10 Back shot~ its where you get the rocket and you hit it behind you it will direct who ever you back shot. If you back shot, it generally goes to the person in "front" of the enemy team, if they are behind you it goes behind you otherwise its their front line person. But be warn if you do this to close to some one you could die, cause they will down spike you or up spike you. Take a look at the pictures.

In this image its to show Two you can angle the rocket the one top left is technically the furthers and has rocket priority but if you angle it, you can negate that difference aim a bit right off center of straight ahead and it goes to back right person and not back left hit straight, it goes top left

this can be shortsightedness, or carelessness how you can Jeopardized your teammates send the rocket above the head of another enemy player they intercept it kill your teammate with ds you can US it, swing right, swing left, or try to ds hit them, even if you miss they might get nervous enough to back off a little bit

#11 Spiking~ Spiking is a tricky one, there are 2 spikes, Down spike and up spike, Down spike you need to flick down with your mouse really hard it will bounce, that is called down spike. When you up spike you must flick up really hard as well to get a up spike, it will go pass peoples heads, it will kill them from behind. Most of the time people will miss.

#12 Circle~ Is where 2 people stand in a circle looking opposite directions and hit the rocket, legit not even shitting you. These two people tend to hit the rocket in a oval path due to the homing characteristics, and they are generally standing in a skewed parallel formation in regards to their position and what direction they face. People sometimes look at each other and let the rocketorbit around them (it's basically supporting inertia). Bigger circles last longer. Slightly move your mouse to the right as the rocket speed increases, otherwise you'll die. Circling takes getting used to, so don't worry if you don't succeed the first try. To set up a circle, one of the 2 must orbit the rocket while the other gets into position. There are 3 way circles (ffa only), and I call them squares but basically 4 way circling. You can also do the 8 it is the 2nd picture. Good luck trying it

#13 Wave~ Is probably the hardest one here, you must flick up and down real quick to make the rocket do a wave you can add flick and direct the rocket to where you want but you can wave it also. I took a video of a well known db player who waves all the time. Watch how the rocket does a ripple in mid air.

Now i'll tell you how i play. Lots of times i find myself going 1v8 with the other team i will tell you how i would play to take the team down to 0. The map will be octagon. Well when i start, the first rocket i hit almost always kill some one (idk why) that's 1 down, Then i stand more closer to the spawn and spin around to see where every one is, the spawn rocket has just launched i go to hit it, oh wait there a cqcer right there so i flick and up spike it, too keep him from getting the rocket. I then go and dodge the cqc some more but i keep hitting the rocket up and up and up untill it target him. 2 down. Now there are four to the side i would wave all four there was a team kill means they were too close and got killed,the other 2 with stand me for some time now so i down spike it and take one out then wave the other and took him out, now they are dead. 2 left now these guys are more speeders the best way is to really cqc but i don't do that i speed them for a little bit while switching i kill one now one left. this one starts waving me i wave back, oh no he up spike, i move forward 3 steps wait and drag the rocket from behind me it throws him off and he died.

Play Styles~ There are a few ways you can play, you can be at a far and take people out that way or be up close to people. But what makes a good db player is to be able to switch at a moments notice. Say i came up to you cqc i would then come back mid way and fight then go afar. I like moving back and forth it allows me to hit the rocket the way i want to. If you are doing a statue jump up and down to make a better chance to wave, also you can do waves that go over peoples heads.

This is the something i was talking about, Here are the server commands that are open to the players.
!rank: Will bring up your rank only.
!next: It will show you the next 9 players.
!dbstats: It tells who has the highest rankings of 3 things. your best speed, Your best deflections in a round, Your total deflections.
!top10: It will show the top10 players on the server.
!colorme: (color you pick): It will make your whole pyro that color.
!outline: Will out line your pyro with the color of your team, so if you are on red then you will be outline red.
!fp: It means first person.
!tp: Means third person.
!votepvb/vpvb: It will bring up the bot so you can pratice against him.
!ffa: Free for all, every one is against each other, every man for them self.

Here are the commands for the console you can use, "note" every Dodgeball pro uses this. Its called lerp, It helps shorten delay. people with 50+ ping should use it but it is possible underneath.

Lerp commands: Linear Interpolation return = (1-t)v0+t*v1. cl_interp_ratio 0, cl_interp 0, cl_updaterate 10000000000. "NOTE TO ALL ADMINS THIS IS NOT A HACK" Lerp is a command that increase the performer ability to play. I use this every day when i play dodgeball but know this, lerp is something you got to learn, meaning when you use it your timing will be difference, the rocket will hit you difference, the distance of the rocket from you will be difference. I will be adding more to this because i am contacting my old master and looking into more information about this.

Thanks for reading, i will keep updating this. If there any db players out there who have anything to add, comment below. ^>^ :mrgreen:

Also here is my steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/HasALife/ If you have a question my steam comments is open to anyone. just post your question there. and i will answer there, you don't even have to add me cause i check my profile and update it all the time.

I will list the people who add stuff in, are right here.
GhOst1321
Meoww
Gewi
Kookie
Skibur
Last edited by Tornado123 on Mon May 09, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 46 times in total.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
Dongle: Tornado im going to cut you if you keep stealing my damn rockets
Meoww

Re: [NEW] DodgeBall Guide.

Post by Meoww »

Thanks for posting a guide for DodgeBall! This is a really good start and I'll message you if I have any suggestions :D

[Owner] Fire : I hate dodgeball, you can quote me
Tornado123

Post by Tornado123 »

Meoww wrote:Thanks for posting a guide for DodgeBall! This is a really good start and I'll message you if I have any suggestions :D
Np Meoww :)
Last edited by Tornado123 on Mon May 09, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
GhOsT1321

Post by GhOsT1321 »

I would like to add the following
#1 When orbiting you generally walk in a circle, that gets smaller depending on the rocket speed. For example, for a left(counter clockwise) orbit you press the following “wasdwasdwasdwasd…” and a right (clockwise)orbit would be “wdsawdsawdsawdsa…”
Please see the professional ms word drawing for reference.

#12 these two people tend to hit the rocket in a oval path due to the homing characteristics, and they are generally standing in a skewed parallel formation in regards to their position and what direction they face.
Last edited by GhOsT1321 on Mon May 09, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current favorite quote: I.M.B
"I was poison, heart full of canines, head full of voices
Whole life trying to quiet 'em down
Like a suicide king with a knife in his crown
Hounds at bay, but they just won't stay
True friendship in a tugboat way"
Tornado123

Post by Tornado123 »

Thos are some key points, i'll see if i can add them in.

Edit: I have now added this in.
Last edited by Tornado123 on Thu May 26, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
SpicyCandy
Forum Mod

Post by SpicyCandy »

It'd help if the text colors were all bright, as the contrast allows readers to view the guide w/ relative ease; anything written in darker colors blends in with the background.
Tornado123

Post by Tornado123 »

SpicyCandy wrote:It'd help if the text colors were all bright, as the contrast allows readers to view the guide w/ relative ease; anything written in darker colors blends in with the background.
Hey thanks Spicy i'll do it.

Edit: Colors have been change to a lighter color.
Last edited by Tornado123 on Mon May 09, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
Blue Katana Anix

Post by Blue Katana Anix »

I have to say this guide looks pretty good. Tornado is a great dodgeball teacher, I can vouch for that XD
Look within your mind, see the power you already possess.

Tornado123

Post by Tornado123 »

Hey thanks man.
Tornado Image
Spoiler
Shelbyx

Post by Shelbyx »

Amazing guide it has help me learn to live longer in dodgeball :) ♥
Image Image