Optimizing TF2 Net Settings

MoneyKidKing

Optimizing TF2 Net Settings

Post by MoneyKidKing »

After giving instructions to many people on how to improve their network settings for TF2, I figured I'd make guide on the forums that I can point people to.

These settings will reduce the latency between you and the server, and will make it particularly easier to aim projectiles, and avoid projectiles (and in the case of dodgeball, allow you to both track rockets, and allow them to get closer to you without hitting you).

Using these settings are allowed on all of our servers, should be allowed on every other community, and are used by many TF2 competitive players.

The first thing that you want to do, is locate your autoexec.cfg. (found in /Steam/steamapps/common/team fortress 2/tf/cfg if you do not have one already, create a new text file, and open it)

You are going to want to copy paste the following lines of code into your autoexec, and then save it. (if you did not previously have an autoexec, save as type All Files, autoexec.cfg)

Code: Select all

rate "9999999"
cl_cmdrate "200"
cl_updaterate "1000000"
cl_interp "0"
cl_interp_ratio "0"
cl_lagcompensation "1"
net_graph 1
*those wishing to not have the stats at the bottom of their screen while playing may set the value of "net_graph" to 0.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
NerfPlayeR135

Re: Optimizing TF2 Net Settings

Post by NerfPlayeR135 »

This should be pinned in my opinion. It has very useful information that all TF2 players should know.
Long-time Disc-FF veteran and jack-of-all-trades TF2 player.

Disc-FF Stats:
Spoiler
Deathrun: No longer exists...

Freak Fortress #1: