How to record and send demos (TF2)

FawfulRoach
Veteran

How to record and send demos (TF2)

Post by FawfulRoach »

So lately I have noticed that some regulars have been having trouble figuring out how to record and send demos on tf2. To help set the record straight, I figured I would type up a quick guide on how I record/send demos in hopes that it will help in the future.

So when you want to record your demo, go in console and type "record (demo name here)". So for instance, if I wanted to title my demo "hola", I would type it like this in console:
Spoiler
Image (sorry for the tiny resolution)

When you wish to stop recording, all you need to do is type "stop" in console (no demo name required, just "stop").

Once you recorded your demo, you should be able to find it in your tf folder. For those who don't know where that is located, this directory should tell you:
Spoiler
In your tf folder, you should find the name of the demo with the extention .dem at the end:
Spoiler

Now when it comes to sending those demos, simply just take your demo file and upload it to a file sharing website. I personally like to use dropbox.

And just as a bonus, to play the demo you have been sent, drag the demo file into your tf folder, launch TF2, and type in console: playdemo (demo name (in my case: playdemo hola)).

And that about sums it up. Hopefully this will clear up some confusion. Thanks for reading and have a nice day!
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Drewski
Veteran

Re: How to record and send demos (TF2)

Post by Drewski »

I found this very helpful as i myself did not know how to capture and find demos. Thank you.
Add me on steam! Click the globe icon to go to my profile!
PC Specs
NerfPlayeR135

Re: How to record and send demos (TF2)

Post by NerfPlayeR135 »

This should be pinned along with Money's net optimization guide; everyone should know how to make a demo.
Long-time Disc-FF veteran and jack-of-all-trades TF2 player.

Disc-FF Stats:
Spoiler
Deathrun: No longer exists...

Freak Fortress #1: