Constant sudden crashes in Disc-FF Slender Fortress

Horizon9999

Constant sudden crashes in Disc-FF Slender Fortress

Post by Horizon9999 »

Hey. First time posting, I enjoy your server enough to have made an account in hopes of getting some advice or insight on a new issue I've been facing. While this is technically a complaint of sorts, I do apologize if this is the wrong forum to have posted this in.

Somewhat recently, my TF2 has started randomly crashing at any given moment while in the Slender Fortress 2 servers. This is not an issue that occurs elsewhere and only seems to occur within those servers. I'm just wondering if this is a known issue and whether there are any fixes so that I can play on the server without crashing every 10-15 minutes.

Thanks!
Charizard

Re: Constant sudden crashes in Disc-FF Slender Fortress

Post by Charizard »

You mentioned that crashes happen within "those" servers. Assuming that you're talking about the entire DISC-FF servers, I haven't been crashing at all.

Could you be more specific to what happens when your TF2 crashes?
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\sound

^Go here on your pc and delete: sound.cache

If that doesn't work go here:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\download

^Go here and delete the models, materials and sound folders. This will make you redownload everything from all servers you play on. Which might be annoying but you could have a corrupt file.

If none of that works post back.
ImageImage
Horizon9999

Post by Horizon9999 »

So I tried deleting sound.cache and I still crashed. At any given moment, my game freezes, a popup "HL2 has stopped working" comes up. I was thinking it would probably be a corrupt file as well since I have a pretty top-notch gaming PC (so it's not like it can't handle a 10 year old game.) Guess I'll be deleting and reinstalling everything. Thanks for your help so far, hopefully this second method works.
Horizon9999

Post by Horizon9999 »

I've now deleted and downloaded all files, materials, models etc. I still crashed after about 15 minutes as usual. Any further suggestions?
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

When does the crash happen? Start, middle or end of round? Does it seem to happen on a certain map or all maps? Does it happen on any boss pack or certain boss packs? Is it happening when you are playing slender game or in on waiting team or both? When did this start happening and how long have you been playing on the server?
ImageImage
Horizon9999

Post by Horizon9999 »

It happens mostly when I'm on the playing team but will occasionally happen when I'm on waiting team. It happens on most maps, rarely I'll get through a full cycle of a single map without a crash. As for boss packs, I've not really observed that, I'll have to get back to you on that. I've played on the server since 2016 (I took a long break) and came back probably around January 1st 2018 to find this issue. I never had this problem prior to coming back on the server frequently. My game will suddenly freeze after a little static-sound that only lasts for a fraction of a second (like literally less than half a second) followed by the "Hl2 has crashed" popup. I'm absolutely sure that this isn't an issue with my computer not being able to process or handle something which is why I've been looking to files and other areas that may be causing this. It's confusing and irritating as I do enjoy playing on the server and wish I didn't have to crash, reboot tf2 and join every 15 minutes.

Again, thanks for the help you've provided so far. Are there any further details I can provide that may help?
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

See if you can figure out which boss was spawned when you crashed.
ImageImage
Horizon9999

Post by Horizon9999 »

It varies. I've crashed from bosses in Pack 7 (pretty sure that's the one with Mr. Krabs) and I've crashed from bosses in the same pack as the Amnesia bosses etc. It may be boss dependent, I just haven't had the opportunity to single things out entirely yet as it seems a lot of the boss packs have something that cause the crash. Is there any extra content I'm meant to have downloaded? Any console commands? Anything that might be causing this. The only thing I really do other than -threads 4, -nojoy and -novid as default launch options is type "snd_restart" every so often in console so I can listen to music.
King Demomidas
Veteran

Post by King Demomidas »

If its boss pack 7 I think I can help with that. I have noticed that the bosses have a few bugs in them, probably due to their configuration. For example shrek, a boss from another pack can sustain itself in server even with (not recommended of course) 10+ copies of it in game at once without causing latency issues. However, most bosses from pack 7 can cause lag issues even if as little as 2 exist at once. So there might be something wrong with how the bosses were configured. Might be a bug. Then again it also might be client-side on your part.
¸ .•♛•.¸¸.•♛•All That Glitters Is Gold•♛•.¸¸.•♛•.¸