PC build

soulharvester
Veteran

Re: PC build

Post by soulharvester »

Meh, I don't prefer getting/suggesting outdated motherboard chipsets because if you want to upgrade, start over-clocking, or use RAID in the future, most likely you'll have to replace the motherboard to do it, which just brings up a ton of fun issues to fix, but if he doesn't plan to ever upgrade it, nor use RAID in the future, it should suit him fine.
Last edited by soulharvester on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skibur

Post by Skibur »

iPhone 5 wrote:
Spoiler
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: 8 gb DDR3-1600 Memory (any specific brands?)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card (maybe a different gpu?)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
I previously tried some AMD chipset, and while Bulldozer chipset may include more cpu cores, it is still slower than the phenon II series. Surprisingly they're cheaper. (Compared to AMD FX 8120 to AMD Phenon II x6 1055T)

I'd say go with some AMD Phenon II series or Intel core i5. You honestly don't need additional core (At least more than 4) to play video games.

Unless you are planning to do some other application that uses your CPU cores to it's full extend (compile/render/compress/livestream/etc)

DDR3 are our current standard ram. Avoid getting DDR2. 8 GB is plenty (Be sure to get a 64-bit operating system for Windows, otherwise using 32-bit will restrict your ram usage up to 3.9 Gb max!)

1 TB is plenty of space for just video games. (Depends on how many games you're planning to install)

Video card is something I'm not familiar with. I currently have Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 and it handles most games pretty decent. (It's a medium-high end range video card) Since you're using one 1080p monitor, I'd say that you only have to worry about medium range video cards. A 660Ti with a mail in rebate will usually do the trick. You can also get a video card similar in the AMD range.

I currently have AMD FX 8120 , 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz, 760 GTX, 750 Corsair TXwatt psu, and antec 300 case. Oh and I have two SSD and one HDD. I do have a NAS, which has 2 TB of additional storage space.
Last edited by Skibur on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

AMD's FX series are indeed weaker core for core compared to Intel's Core series and AMD's Phenom series. This is pretty much a result of having 4 modules for their 8 core CPUs. As skibur stated, for video rendering and anything that can take advantage of 8 threads, it's a pretty good bang-for-the-buck chip. Games are starting to be optimized for more threads, but a Core i5's strong 4 core/threads can match a FX-8350 just fine. If you can afford it, an i5 would be a good CPU to get.

DDR2 is old lol. As skibur stated, 8GB of pretty much any speed or CAS latency will be fine. Most mainstream system will be able to utilize dual-channel RAM, so try to get RAM in multiples of two or so. If, however, you plan to do video editing, I would highly suggest 16GB+, and faster RAM such as DDR3-2133 or 2400. This will help lower rendering times significantly.

GTX 660ti is a bit old, and pricy for the performance. An R9 270(or R9 270X-same chip but slighly higher clockspeed) will often match the performance and be about $40 cheaper in many cases.
Last edited by goinundercover on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

goinundercover wrote:16GB+, and faster RAM such as DDR3-2133 or 2400. This will help lower rendering times significantly.

Honestly, 8GB (2x4) of 1600 DDR3 will handle the vast majority of consumer things just fine (While multi-tasking). He's not running a works station or server rig, guys, no need to spend $150 on RAM alone.

And having a faster clock speed for your RAM doesn't actually make a large difference in most cases (unless you're using an integrated graphics processor on the CPU).
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

soulharvester wrote:
goinundercover wrote:16GB+, and faster RAM such as DDR3-2133 or 2400. This will help lower rendering times significantly.

Honestly, 8GB (2x4) of 1600 DDR3 will handle the vast majority of consumer things just fine (While multi-tasking). He's not running a works station or server rig, guys, no need to spend $150 on RAM alone.

And having a faster clock speed for your RAM doesn't actually make a large difference in most cases (unless you're using an integrated graphics processor on the CPU).
If, however, you plan to do video editing,
Yeah, for gaming, anything higher than 8GB doesn't really do anything.
Last edited by goinundercover on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.