PC build

iPhone 6

PC build

Post by iPhone 6 »

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the forums but I'm planning on building a pc and these are more or less the parts and specs that are in my price range. I have a budget of about 800$ after tax (its 15% here) so i was wondering if anybody had any tips or suggestions to the specs. My goal is to be able to play most games on medium or high at 1080p with at least 30+ fps would be great.

any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

PC
Spoiler
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: 8 gb DDR3-1600 Memory (any specific brands?)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card (maybe a different gpu?)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Re: PC build

Post by soulharvester »

Are you buying this soon, or "in the near future"? Prices on a lot of parts fluctuate quite frequently and thus it's best to "rebuild" the part selection just before buying.

Something to note, there's no reason to buy both an AMD CPU, and a GPU. The only real reason to buy an AMD CPU is for a PC that will not be using a dedicated GPU, as AMD's CPUs fill the niche for cheap but powerful Integrated GPU, but fall short just about everywhere else.

Anyways, I'll look into this later, probably later tonight or tomorrow.
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

I understand so what would be the intel equivalent?
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

If you can stretch your budget a little further (And cover the before-rebate costs), this would out-perform the FX significantly, though I have to admit at a bit of a premium. However, in the future you'd have the option to purchase an after-market cooler and over-clock it to get more performance out of it, and it'd be pretty well future-proofed in the CPU department.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jgw7GX

Alternatively, if that's a little too far over budget, you could get the 4430 instead, and upgrade the CPU in the future when Intel releases Broadwell, if you so choose.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DV66pg

But as I assume this is mostly going to be for playing games (And not recording/streaming) them, you could get away with using a 2 core I3, which will still maintain superb single-threaded performance for the price (Meaning it will play the vast majority of games just as well as any I5/I7), though will begin to suffer if you start throwing too many taxing programs at it at once or attempt to record using a CPU heavy codec while playing. (If you're just looking to play CS:GO at 300 FPS, get this, If you're planning to start doing video editting/3D rendering etc, avoid it.) Again, if you get this now, it can always be upgraded to something more powerful in the future if your needs expand, and on the plus side, you'd be able to get another dirt-cheap rig to throw it into for guest/server use if you replace it with something better.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PBbwyc
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
iPhone 6

Post by iPhone 6 »

Thanks for the help soul, I think if anything I'll go with the 4430 because while you seemed to be within budget however all the parts in canada especially the CPU are 10-15$ more expensive so when adding everything together it kinda puts me over budget anyways I'll update this thread when my decision has been maybe and everything is said and done
Last edited by iPhone 6 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

No SSD ?
Last edited by MartijnV on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
soulharvester
Veteran

Post by soulharvester »

MartijnV wrote:No SSD ?
On a budget build? Not if you actually want to have room for the games you're installing, no.

A 250GB SSD by itself would end up costing around $140 (if not more).

An SSD is the kind of thing you add into the build when you're satisfied with all the other component selections and still have $200-300 to use up.
Last edited by soulharvester on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MartijnV
Veteran

Post by MartijnV »

If you search like hell you can get them for half the price... SSD is worth it every dollar spend on it
Last edited by MartijnV on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salute !

===========================================================

i am a former Admin on our former DeathRun server.

My Steam Community profile, click the picture to go to it:

Also i have terms:
+Festive/-Festive means Referral confirmed/declined
Drewski
Veteran

Post by Drewski »

MartijnV wrote:If you search like hell you can get them for half the price... SSD is worth it every dollar spend on it
Well why not a 7200RPM HDD? It's just a little slower but too much
Last edited by Drewski on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Add me on steam! Click the globe icon to go to my profile!
PC Specs
goinundercover
Veteran

Post by goinundercover »

Darn, am I late to the party?

While the FX-6300 is a decent budget gaming CPU, an i5 will indeed still be more powerful.
Also, the R9 270 is the same GPU as the 270X. The only difference is in clockspeed.

If you aren't planning to overclock: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3KdrRB

If you want to overclock: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FftKK8
Last edited by goinundercover on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.