Weird TF2 Problem

Banshee

Weird TF2 Problem

Post by Banshee »

So for the past yeah i've been having an issue with tf2. The problem is that my settings/binds/other things in game will not save into the next session. For example, if I type in console "bind mouse1 "say hi"", that bind will not exist the next time I play tf2. Or if I change my sensitivity to 2.3 to 4, it will return to 2.3 the next time I play.

Things I have tried (and have not worked):
Reinstalling tf2
Verifying game cache
Turning off steam cloud synchronization

Honestly I have no idea what's causing it/how to ix it. If someone can please tell me how to fix it that would be most appreciated, as I need to write down all of my settings/binds in my cfg files or they won't save. And some things that I've bound in console before this happened will not be unbound if I unbind them in console, requiring me to type "unbind <bind>" in my autoexec.cfg.
Last edited by Banshee on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dodgeball
Trade #1
Trade #2
Trade #3

Click on the picture to go to my profile!
Satan wrote:Small but good, like my penis.
Ibuix wrote:You're a real life saver. A nigga, if you will
Mr.Cat

Re: Weird TF2 Problem

Post by Mr.Cat »

Most times this is a permissions issue.

try the following:
  • Close TF2 and any other steam-game you may have open
  • open up your steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\ folder and right click the cfg folder and select properties, make sure the 'read only' attribute is unchecked and click apply.
  • open tf2 and try adding a bind, use it once or twice then close and re-open TF2 and try it again to make sure it works.

If that fails do the following:
  • Close tf2 again
  • Open steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\ and move (not copy) the entire cfg folder to your desktop or somewhere handy.
  • go to steam>library>team fortress 2 and right click it, select properties and then click 'set launch options' on the general tab add "-autoconfig" without the quotes. hit okay/save/whatever/blahblahblah
  • Launch TF2, this should rebuild the cfg directory with default settings
  • reconfigure all of yours settings the way you want them- (you can use the moved files for reference but do not simply move them back to where they were!)
  • Make sure you click save/apply in the options menu when you're done setting everything up then close tf2, this should have your config and binds saving again.
  • go back to the launch options and remove -autoconfig
  • Re-launch TF2 and rejoice as your binds should now save properly.
  • Delete the old configs from your desktop or wherever you put them- you don't need them anymore.
Last edited by Mr.Cat on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

Mr.Cat wrote:Most times this is a permissions issue.

try the following:
  • Close TF2 and any other steam-game you may have open
  • open up your steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\ folder and right click the cfg folder and select properties, make sure the 'read only' attribute is unchecked and click apply.
  • open tf2 and try adding a bind, use it once or twice then close and re-open TF2 and try it again to make sure it works.

If that fails do the following:
  • Close tf2 again
  • Open steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\ and move (not copy) the entire cfg folder to your desktop or somewhere handy.
  • go to steam>library>team fortress 2 and right click it, select properties and then click 'set launch options' on the general tab add "-autoconfig" without the quotes. hit okay/save/whatever/blahblahblah
  • Launch TF2, this should rebuild the cfg directory with default settings
  • reconfigure all of yours settings the way you want them- (you can use the moved files for reference but do not simply move them back to where they were!)
  • Make sure you click save/apply in the options menu when you're done setting everything up then close tf2, this should have your config and binds saving again.
  • go back to the launch options and remove -autoconfig
  • Re-launch TF2 and rejoice as your binds should now save properly.
  • Delete the old configs from your desktop or wherever you put them- you don't need them anymore.
So I tried to uncheck the "Read Only" box. I unchecked it, clicked apply, then clicked "apply to files and folders inside this one" and it closed out. I went back into the properties and it was magically checked again.
Last edited by Banshee on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dodgeball
Trade #1
Trade #2
Trade #3

Mr.Cat

Post by Mr.Cat »

have you tried the 'if that fails' option?
Hat in a Cat

Post by Hat in a Cat »

You have to be on an administrator account for your PC to change read-only attributes, so make sure you're that first. Change the read-only settings for the files, too, not the folders. Windows often ignores read-only attributes for folders and applies them only specifically to files.

Also, if you have a cfg file in the cfg folder called 'binds', it will overwrite all your binds everytime you launch the game. Make sure your autoexec.cfg doesn't also overwrite keys you want to be binded to something else. This is common if you use stuff like the tf2mate config generator. The only reason I bring this up (because I know you apparently use bind cfg's) is because TF2 hates bind configs and it'll sometimes ruin the entire bind setup.
Last edited by Hat in a Cat on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

It isn't just binds, it's also any settings that's changed in options.

Me and mr cat have worked in this over steam chat, and after I manually enter a bind in config.cfg, when the game is closed tht bind (and any other changes to the file) are reverted. Which doesn't make any sense at all.

No, steam cloud sync isn't on either.

Dodgeball
Trade #1
Trade #2
Trade #3