Mic problem

Jasmine
Veteran

Re: Mic problem

Post by Jasmine »

I bought it on ebay so not sure that's valid. However a friend found a minor fix. Not sure it will last but that's for time to tell. It's still superlow but at least I don't break people's eardrums when speaking
Much love
Jasmine
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

It isn't your mic causing the issue. Since it's not a USB headset, it's impossible for the headset to be causing the issue.

If anything, the worst-case scenario would be that your headset would either not receive audio, or the mic won't work.
You have a software issue independent of the headset.

The G230 has a microcontroller that controls headphone volume, and a mic mute switch. those are physical, and operate separately to anything to do with your computer.

What are you using that is messing with your codec? Is it on TF2, TS3, Skype, Discord?

Chances are you might need to just look at your recording device settings on your computer.
Check to see if everything is as it should be, including the headset mic set as the default device.
Try even just hitting the restore defaults button.

If it's how it should be, then chances are it's an issue with the client you're using.

Try testing the headset in multiple scenarios:
Test the mic on another computer/phone jack if available, etc.
Source another headset if there is one around the house and see if the problem persists.

Again, I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue with your headset, specifically if it isn't a USB headset; I can't stress that enough. You don't need to buy a new one. Don't waste money if it isn't necessary.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

sambawarkiddo wrote:It isn't your mic causing the issue. Since it's not a USB headset, it's impossible for the headset to be causing the issue.

If anything, the worst-case scenario would be that your headset would either not receive audio, or the mic won't work.
You have a software issue independent of the headset.
I know it's not MY mic. It is since the update of voicecodec again. And it stopped working properly overnight so. I know it's not on my headset, but it's still a problem.

{quote}The G230 has a microcontroller that controls headphone volume, and a mic mute switch. those are physical, and operate separately to anything to do with your computer.

What are you using that is messing with your codec? Is it on TF2, TS3, Skype, Discord? [/quote}

I figured it had something to do with the server since the voicecodec has been changed back and forth.
It's been on tf2 that it hasnt been working properly. Haven't been on skype, ts or steamvoice so I wouldn't know if it works there.
Chances are you might need to just look at your recording device settings on your computer.
Check to see if everything is as it should be, including the headset mic set as the default device.
Try even just hitting the restore defaults button.

If it's how it should be, then chances are it's an issue with the client you're using.
None of the settings are changed.
Try testing the headset in multiple scenarios:
Test the mic on another computer/phone jack if available, etc.
Source another headset if there is one around the house and see if the problem persists.

Again, I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue with your headset, specifically if it isn't a USB headset; I can't stress that enough. You don't need to buy a new one. Don't waste money if it isn't necessary.
As I said, we found a minor fix. A way to get around the voicecodec issue and it started working,
Problem was that people on the server either couldnt hear me, if settings was not on max. If I turned it up to max it was incredibly static and at some point people said that when I pushed V it sounded like I muted all sounds of the whole server. Volume of their game went down and everything sounded muted.

So a friend of mine dug in to it and found a quickfix from 4years back when the codec was updated last. And you call someone on steamvoice, without them picking up and then you enter the game.
My volume is apparently still a bit low, but it works okey.
Last edited by Jasmine on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much love
Jasmine
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

To me, it sounds like either a hardware issue with your audio drivers, or just a general issue with Steam.
Check your voice settings on Steam by:

Disconnecting the headset
Detect Audio Devices
See if the device changes
Set your mic+ receive volume to max,
Test Mic.

If you hear your mic just fine, then it's for certain an issue with TF2's audio codec specifically.
Make sure you test your mic with different applications, as well as checking audio settings in TF2.

As an added footnote, verify TF2's game cache.

In the event that the issue continues on a platform outside steam, check your audio in drivers are up to date.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

That's good, cause I'm gonna need an alternate way of paying for this advice ;)
Much love
Jasmine
White Sedan
Veteran

Post by White Sedan »

Forum Rules wrote:4.) No Derailing. Posts that cause a thread to go off topic or contribute nothing towards the discussion will be deleted.
Last edited by White Sedan on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Hoff wrote:Consider yourself lucky I am not taking legal action against your server.
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

it's my thread though? Lmao.
Much love
Jasmine
White Sedan
Veteran

Post by White Sedan »

Why would that make a difference. This is a thread about a mic issue, not what kind of alcohol people like to drink. If you wanna talk about alcohol percentages, feel free to make a thread in off topic. Just because it's your thread doesn't mean it's untouchable by the rules.
----
Hoff wrote:Consider yourself lucky I am not taking legal action against your server.
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

Lmao it's whatever, this can be locked.
Much love
Jasmine
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

I'd rather this not be locked in case a solution is found.

I have tested this with Corgi for hours with her mic. I wasn't in control watching what she was doing so I don't know if all the steps were followed properly but from our testing and other reports I have heard from people I highly suspect this to be a software issue.

Make sure your drivers are completely up to date and also check and see if you have any other audio software install that might be messing with it. One thing that would be interesting is if you tested the mic with a fresh windows install. I don't know if this will do anything but maybe try making a sub user account and installing TF2 there and seeing if it persists.
ImageImage