PC turning itself off

Sir Spookleton
Veteran

PC turning itself off

Post by Sir Spookleton »

So in the last few days since I got my new GTX 1080 graphics card my PC has been turning itself off randomly, once a day it seems. And during those few times I've been in-game when it happened. I was wondering if anyone here knew what was causing my PC to turn itself off?
MoneyKidKing

Re: PC turning itself off

Post by MoneyKidKing »

My first guess would be an issue with the clock stability on your CPU. I know you don't overclock your computer, but it could still be an issue. I would suggest using something like IntelBurn Test to check the stability of your CPU.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Since you installed the gtx1080? Is your computer turning off, or is the display just turning off, if the lights and fans are still on your card is either over heating or bad.
Sir Spookleton
Veteran

Post by Sir Spookleton »

Mitch wrote:Since you installed the gtx1080? Is your computer turning off, or is the display just turning off, if the lights and fans are still on your card is either over heating or bad.
Yes, since I got it installed. I'll check next time it happens. Cause from what I can understand the computer turns itself off, goes quiet, then turns itself back on. And I'd hope it isn't a bad card, since I got it last Thursday. I didn't install it myself, I had the guys working at the nearby PC Doctor do it.
Last edited by Sir Spookleton on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Sir Spookleton wrote:
Mitch wrote:Since you installed the gtx1080? Is your computer turning off, or is the display just turning off, if the lights and fans are still on your card is either over heating or bad.
Yes, since I got it installed. I'll check next time it happens. Cause from what I can understand the computer turns itself off, goes quiet, then turns itself back on. And I'd hope it isn't a bad card, since I got it last Thursday. I didn't install it myself, I had the guys working at the nearby PC Doctor do it.
What kind of power supply do you have in your machine? If it was a bad card the display would just turn off and the fans and stuff would still work (unless your OS recognizes that your video drivers crashed and restarted.)
Last edited by Mitch on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Spookleton
Veteran

Post by Sir Spookleton »

Mitch wrote:
Sir Spookleton wrote:
What kind of power supply do you have in your machine? If it was a bad card the display would just turn off and the fans and stuff would still work (unless your OS recognizes that your video drivers crashed and restarted.)
I'm thinking it could be the power supply, since everything in the PC cane with it. Since it was a pre-built. So it would make sense that the power supply was meant for the 980, and not the 1080.
Last edited by Sir Spookleton on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Id take a wild guess and say some cables aint plugged in all the way. Ive used the same powersupply for 550Ti, 670Ti and now 1060, never any issues like this and mine aint a good quality one eihter, some cheap ass chinese product. Could of course be that its about to fry, but id still say there is a higher possibility that one or more cables aint plugged in properly causing the issue at hand.
ImageImageImage
Sir Spookleton
Veteran

Post by Sir Spookleton »

Abraham wrote:Id take a wild guess and say some cables aint plugged in all the way. Ive used the same powersupply for 550Ti, 670Ti and now 1060, never any issues like this and mine aint a good quality one eihter, some cheap ass chinese product. Could of course be that its about to fry, but id still say there is a higher possibility that one or more cables aint plugged in properly causing the issue at hand.
Hmm, if I were to try and plug in the cables harder I'm afraid I'd break something. I've made sure and checked that they are properly plugged in several times before, too.