Is it worth switching over to a full Linux based system?

Dr. Axel Link
Veteran

Is it worth switching over to a full Linux based system?

Post by Dr. Axel Link »

I've been working on rebuilding my desktop since it fried multiple parts a little over a month ago. I finally got it to a part where something would happen, and started to reinstall windows 10 onto my SSD. Except that didn't work, so I tried on my HDD. It continued, but the keyboard wasn't working (happened first time I installed Windows 10), then crashed while updating drivers and windows. Nearly every time I get something related to windows happening, the computer does not work with what I'm telling it to do. So at this point, I'm considering a Linux OS, as that might clear some of the problems I've had with Windows.
Also, I'm about ready to give up on this computer. I'm usually a patient person, but over a month and no progress has been made is really getting on my nerves. I've had help from a few people in the community (Tzket and Zethy primarily), and they helped me with some of the more finding what hardware is bad, and getting past a few of them, but I think this might just be Windows refusing to work for me.

The parts I have replaced include: Motherboard (Currently: ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VI), CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-core), and HDD.
Mitch
Server Admin

Re: Is it worth switching over to a full Linux based system?

Post by Mitch »

Most drivers won't be giving out top support for linux based systems as they do with windows. Honestly messing with linux, even if you're tech savvy, is a pain in the ass. I tried linux on my extra PC but getting any games that relied on directx was a pain in the ass and gave up and installed win7.
MoneyKidKing

Re: Is it worth switching over to a full Linux based system?

Post by MoneyKidKing »

I use Linux all the time at work for doing different things including video-rendering, 3d modeling, and messing with VMs. As Mitch said, getting drivers for many games is difficult due to many developers not supporting Linux. However, most recent games have been made compatible with Linux. I would suggest using a version of Ubuntu known as "Cinnamon-Mint", it has a fairly clean interface, and comes pre-installed with some useful programs. With many Linux distros you also have the ability to run the OS in a trial version before you write it to disk, to see if you like it before you install.

Getting used to different aspects of the operating system can occasionally be challenging, so if do install and have any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler