Prophunt Discussion

sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Re: Prop Hunt Maps

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Bench wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 am I would like to thank the few people who can understand and think. Those people don't have to do those to figure who they are.
Beautifully displayed lack of professionalism and blatant insulting of people who don't agree with your standpoint.
This thread is purely about Prophunt maps, and discussions around said maps. It's not limited to "Hey, let's add such and such map." It is very clearly also about discussing the removal of maps, and discussing the justification of aforementioned maps.

Put your unbiased hand forward, first.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
White Sedan
Veteran

Post by White Sedan »

I'm not gonna lock this thread as it could be useful in the future but like Shankin said, this thread is about adding and removing maps, not reminiscing about the old prophunt. Thoughts about how to repopulate the server can either be discussed in a new thread or on teamspeak. Also, refrain from blatantly insulting someone for having an opposing view of something from you, it's really not something an admin should be doing on our public forum. One last thing,
Rigby wrote:Lemme just re-quote
This post is completely pointless and does nothing to contribute to the thread or sort out the situation at hand, don't do this again.
----
Hoff wrote:Consider yourself lucky I am not taking legal action against your server.
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

Just like to add my two cents, having matured from prophunt for the most part and have been making maps for other games with tournament scenes.

There isn't necessarily such a thing as a bad map. Rather, there are bad attitudes towards maps. Particularly online, people want to be accepted and thus think like the group. If the group have an established idea, that idea [prop]agates to the next generation, for the most part.

haha puns.

A note from my experience making maps for a tournament scene.
One guy organises the tournaments while there are 10+ map makers.
He only selects his maps for the tournaments.
Guess what happens:
He then claims that his maps are the only good ones for tournaments - yet he is dictating which maps are played. I know for a fact that my maps are good because I have spectated and casted many fantastic games on them, and heard feedback from people who have enjoyed them, but lo and behold, people think they suck when it comes to tournaments because of this established attitude towards which maps are suitable for what.

Back to PH. I remember the days when brawl was played for it's full rotation without being considered 'bad'. Yes people said it was big, Yes it's harder work. But at the end of the day, we all got along, we all had fun and we were playing prophunt WITH each other; not AGAINST each other. As such we didn't really care about the maps unless they were obviously buggy (ph_Chapel and Cyberpunk for instance). Other than maps like that, we played full map times, on larger maps, with smaller numbers, because we didn't care about the map we played on. We cared that we were having fun with friends.

Often, I regret that I ever made ph_courtyard in the first place, because it caused the following events of map making and more map making which eventually turned into a "Who's map is the best" and then just the general "Which map is best"...

...Don't even get me started on RANKS. As that is another key factor to this situation. #competitiveprophunt

It doesn't damn well matter; fun does.

Something the old guard of DiscFF prophunt forget are the days before DiscFF.

Ontopic - I like that maps have been added, as long as they are not buggy. Now get to work on those attitudes of trying new maps for the sake of prophunt, without worrying about your K/D, W/L etc.

Edit1:
Further to the above, to emphasise my point.
Just had a look at the chat logs.
Someone seemed to be enjoying playing Blockfort. Immediately people thought they were me, and having a go at them saying we should play all my maps because they are all 'amazing' or whatever, clearly sarcastically.

It's exactly this attitude of impressing an opinion on players about maps that is the problem with the server. You just cannot accept that some people enjoy some maps that other people don't enjoy.

I might consider revisiting my maps to tweak them a bit to make them more playable in terms of balance etc, but honestly, the attitude of players is what is holding this server down.
It's what is gutting the community before it has a chance to grow.
If you have a hole in the bottom of the barrel, the water will just dribble out of the bottom and never actually fill the barrel when it is poured in.

Edit 2: One further post, which is more of a suggestion as to alleviate the possible issue of maps.
Have different map pools for different times.

I.e. one week have a certain selection of maps open to play, the next week change that and so on.
Like map pools in esports games such as StarCraft, CS, Heroes of the Storm and so on. Their map pools have rotations.

Prophunt has so many maps now that it's nigh on impossible for them all to be visible let alone played. Especially when you have people on the server saying things like
"I played that map," (once, and didnt like it) "It's bad". (Hence forcing the opinions that certain maps are bad etc).

Have a varied map pool week by week would be a good way to force diversity while at the same time including maps people enjoy.

This way you would not have to change number of maps played before you can nominate a map again, because the map pool is smaller anyway.

You could rank the maps based on 'popularity' or playtime. Have different thresholds for "Primary maps, secondary...etc". Then have say 3/10 from primary (lumberyard, grassland, kak, for example). 4 from secondary e.g. Oasis, Farm, Facility, Manorgrounds and so on. and 3 from tertiary (or the least 'popular') e.g. Outside, Academy (Petitcourtyard), Warehouse, Cargo etc

Next week, the primary ones could be Mountain, Farmfeud, Switcheroo and so on.

It would take work to get this done (so quite whether it will happen on this server therefore is another matter), but it is one solution to a saturated map pool and stubborn regulars (who seemingly don't play all that frequently, or in as greater numbers, any more anyway.
Last edited by Marshii on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraham
Veteran

Re: Prophunt Discussion

Post by Abraham »

Marshii, please dont multi-post. Edit your original post and add your input in there.
ImageImageImage