Prophunt Discussion

Abraham
Veteran

Re: Prop Hunt Maps

Post by Abraham »

From what i've seen past months is not that there's not "always" someone to get on and invite people, there's barely ever someone who has the energy to get on and invite people. I see it get populated maybe once a week (outside weekend) and that's it. Mostly when the server gets populated its a new group of people who have never played the mod.

I know ive lost interest in prophunt int he past, but it was never because of the maps. There was a time where I was a full on tryhard and I got bored because I found no challenge from the players, there was a time where I just got bored of chasing buckets, there was a time where I just thought I spent too much time on pc and tried to quit by giving up my favorite mod/game. As Samba said before, there's always been enough maps on the rotation, its just that people refuse to try them if they ain't freshly made.
ImageImageImage
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

It's not critiques towards your activity soup. Trust me, no one should spend as much time as we did on the server at that point. It's not healthy. We spent 8-12 hours every day. 7days a week. It was literally all we did.

And I understand why you disagree with that part. But that's because you're part of the "in-crew". I see a lot of people in chat that never gets any response when they write something when I'm on.
Much love
Jasmine
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Soup wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:16 pm The maps being added back have brought new life to the server. Many of the regulars enjoy playing them and it has brought in people that don't usually play on the server who are excited to see the maps on there.
///
Tryhards are killing the server and have caused admins to leave or consider leaving. This helps balance it out a bit. It is also a way to change things up without Fire having to spend more money on making new maps.
I fail to see how server killing maps can bring new life into the server. Every single time I get on TF2, I see the server completely dead empty, during times when I recall it being fully packed to the brim.
It's not the tryhards doing that, because they exist at all times. I was even one of those tryhards at one point. It's completely irrelevant. This is quantity over quality.

The last time I joined the server, I thought it might bring back some drive for me to play. Instead, I lasted no longer than half a map because there was no challenge. There was no engagement. It was boring as shit, and when an admin was needed, they arrived long after the problem left/finished (this also applies to the global admins who didn't show up, but at the same time I do know obviously people have their own lives. Even still, there was nothing).

I agree wholeheartedly with Jas. The server has lost its spark, regardless of what you think. I used to love getting on to ph and chatting with some people I considered to be good friends; now I just think of opening TF2 is a hassle. I remember getting on and I'd see select key people playing. I'd join to hang out with them, the majority of the time, even when I was an admin. Naturally, I started to lose interest in the game. Then, when I was working on rebuilding my interest again, I had my admin removed on me. So that was cool. That's irrelevant to this, but neato nonetheless...

As Abra said, people lose interest in the game due to the people, not the map rotation. However, having a cancerous map rotation is sure to kill off the server, especially when there's key people who nominate maps as a joke, only to actually HAVE that map be chosen and eventually have people leave.

Again to not stray from the topic, it's literally quantity over quality and we don't actually need 90% of the old maps that have been re-added. If you want to re-add old cancer maps, why not add back ALL the cancer maps?
Exactly, cuz they're shit and not wanted.

As for Fire paying for new maps, I can't think of a more ridiculous idea. I literally made maps for free, due to a passion for the game mode. Granted not all of them were GOOD, because I ain't a pro map maker. But my first and most popular map was loved by SEVERAL people, and old regulars. It was only later with new regulars joining and whatnot that it started losing popularity and being called "too big." In the beginning, it brought new people to the server, because I made sure disc was the only server with that map. I intend to change it and update it now that it's FINALLY been removed, however.

I digress. Paying for new maps is a waste of time and resources when you can't guarantee the new map will even be LIKED. I've made plenty of maps that were liked at first, and eventually they lost their spark, or their novelty, and eventually removed. Maps that have been paid for will result in staying in the rotation because,
"Oh no, we can't remove it, it was paid for!"
That shit's asinine. Don't go around paying for new maps. Learn how to use Hammer and convert a map you've seen and like into a prophunt map. Hammer ain't difficult. Just tinker until you get the gist of the basics and you're off.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Soup
Veteran

Post by Soup »

It seems to me that you all are missing the old ph you used to play on and no map will help you there. I suggest instead that if you three are concerned with the state of the map selection that you practice what you preach and get on the server and invite all your friends because besides occasionally Abra I don't see you on there. This will also help give you that nostalgic feeling you are all clearly missing.

I believe the maps should stay at this time and I don't believe the cool down timer should be changed.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Once again, the maps that were removed, were removed with extremely good reason. They're bad. Really, really, really bad. And now they're back.
Redquarters, Desolation, Cyberpunk, Devil's Canyon (even though I kinda like that map), Stormy Feud, Snowworks (wasn't removed but I hate it), Brawl. Are you kidding me?

Regardless of what juvenoian, nostalgia chasing dream Abra, Jasmine and I are following, it's still a matter of quantity over quality. The maps that have been added back are literally terrible, and us three know they're terrible after a lengthy amount of time with them in our rotation. We know it, because we were the ones who deliberated over them and had them removed after PLENTY of thought.

As for practicing what we preach, I ain't an admin of the server, so it's absolutely not my duty to be active on the server and generating traffic. While I was writing my previous text, I was looking at the server population. It was dead at a time when it would often be literally packed. That sure as shit ain't my job to be fixing, so why would I want to?

I have actually joined when the server was dead in vain hope of generating some traffic recently, and naturally it didn't work for a few reasons:
There's no good vibes any more, There's no actual reason to stick around, and my friends list is packed with people I've played with across multiple games, so I can't remember who I've played with solely on ph.

while it may help, it's not the regular's jobs to make the game interesting; it's the admin's jobs.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Shankin
Veteran

Post by Shankin »

I'm sure this thread is made for removing/adding PH maps, not for essays about old PH.
WhatIsLove: SHANKIN YOU'RE A FUCKING NIGGA BITCH.

SpicyCandy: you're sub-human.
Soup
Veteran

Post by Soup »

I think there are plenty of good vibes except for the few who complain constantly (yourself included) about the maps. Also, this is a community and if you are so worried about ph then you should absolutly try to fill the server if you want to have a good time. I did that plenty before I became admin and I do it now and it is quite the rewarding experience.

Also, the population has changed on ph, the new players enjoy these maps even though you older players may not. You have to change with the times.

For the final time I will say that I believe the maps should stay.
Rigby!

Post by Rigby! »

Since the thread was changed I'll put my two cents into this. I first joined prophunt around late 2015; I wouldn't actively play on the server, but if I wanted to talk to people, or relax on tf2, then I could do that on prophunt. Before some admins left, there was just small talk, and some otherwise annoying or mindless repeat of these "prophunt jokes" I'll call them. Things that the admin's would say that you would no doubt hear at least 20 times every map. It made getting on the server stale and rather annoying for me because rather than talking to people, I get backlash on my opinion about how it is wrong or a "prophunt joke". I'm not attacking anyone but I feel the server as a whole has a issue with the community rather than the maps. Toxic or otherwise annoying players are the norm on most servers either way, so it's not like prophunt is the only server that struggles with this.
Last edited by Rigby! on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Someone take the exclamation mark out of my name, I'm not excited to be here.
Bench

Post by Bench »

Please lock this thread. The direction of it has derailed & I think that it doesn't deserve to continue going like this.

While I do admit that I had a part of this, this thread's original purpose was for new map suggestions like the Surf thread. The fact that few gave it a chance ruined it from the first replies. If you guys wanted a place to talk about this stuff back to back, I'm pretty sure you people are friended on Steam and have heard of TeamSpeak and PM's.

I would like to thank the few people who can understand and think. Those people don't have to do those to figure who they are.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

This is a forum. This is a thread about prophunt and it's maps. Sure we derailed slightly but it's the same ground problem were talking about. No need to lock the thread for that.

I didn't say anything about missing the gamemode, being nostalgic or that I thought the maps now were bad. I put in what I think is, and always has worked, a good way of filling up prophunt.

And bench, there's no need to throw pointed words when trying to finish a discussion.
Much love
Jasmine