Prophunt Discussion

SakuraTheBabyfur

Prophunt Discussion

Post by SakuraTheBabyfur »

This thread will be for discussing possible changes and improvements to the prophunt server. If you wish to discuss maps, please use THIS TOPIC

This topic is not for complaining about how bad the server has become, but actual ideas on how to improve it. Please keep discussions civil and do not flame.
Survivor of the Gaymen Apocalypse 2015
Gaymen wrote:Forum ban? Is that like a band full of faggots like Armen.
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Prophunt Discussion

Post by sambawarkiddo »

What's with all the cancer maps being re-added?

There's a difference between needing maps, and wanting to add back every possible piece of trash to kill the server more.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Bench

Re: Prop Hunt Maps

Post by Bench »

There's a difference between having the same 5 maps (KakaFuck, Cock-Cooking Hotel, Yumberlard, Switchapoo, & Assland) being played all day & playing on maps where you can hide in whatever trash spot you want with a possible chance of finding the game enjoyable

Also we didn't bring back ph_mineriver_a2f
Last edited by Bench on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

I believe Samba is mainly talking about Cyberpunk etc that has been removed several times in the past and always for the same reason, it kills the server.

Id say raise the cooldown between a map being played and it being eligble for nomination again by an extra hour or even two to bring variation to map rotation, rather than add back maps like Cyberpunk.

Also why did you have to target Samba's map as an example making it seem like its the worst map in the prophunt history? Please dont take this on a personal level and start targeting his maps alone. No one brought mineriver up/claimed it was added back but you just happend to mention that.
ImageImageImage
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Cyberpunk, Redquarters, etc were long-since removed due to the fact they were pure cancer. Mineriver was pretty shit too; I should know. No need to single-handedly name one of my maps. But since you did, why wouldn't you mention Twilight or something else I've made/converted? Those maps performed way worse than Mineriver did... As Abra said, don't bring personal bias into this.

Kak is fine, CCHotel is fine, as is the other three you mentioned (nice way of showing personal disdain for the maps by giving them slanderous names. Granted, Asslands is sufficient, since it's a great nickname for it). Just because you don't personally like them, Bench, doesn't mean they're inherently shit.
They're perfect maps for regulars and new people alike, as well as the fact they're common maps, and maps everyone can learn, AND they're great for large server populations (if that ever happens these days). As well, Mineriver was quite well liked, it just lacked in map layout diversity. It was too simplistic for Prophunt. Maps are played repeatedly because they're seasoned fan favourites. I'm sorry you don't like the maps that most players do.

We already have headquarters, which is fine for small server population; why add back the cancerous redquarters?
Several /OLD/ maps that were removed multiple times for the obvious reasons have been re-added.
I even fixed Cyberpunk, and it was re-removed because fun fact, CP is still fuckin' cancer as shit.

Explain to me why this is the case. None of the maps re-added are good. They are renowned for killing the server. Hell, it took long enough to remove Clocktown so that I can update and fix that map. That's a classic example of a map that killed the server when you look at the statistics.

Literally just increase the map selection cooldown to increase the chance of lesser-played maps being played. Deny it if you will, but there has always been enough maps on the server; people just refuse to pick them. Some of them are actually semi-decent maps (maps like Farm, for example, even though I'm personally not actually a fan of it. It's still a good map).

It's a shocking shame to come back to TF2 and see one of my most beloved servers empty 99% of the time, and seeing a map rotation consisting of regurgitated bile and server killers.
You can't say the server isn't worse than it used to be, cuz guess what, it's mostly dead.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

To be honest, redquarters flew past my radar. I was told it was being brought back, but had no ideas it was the exact same as headquarters with brown walls. I would have shot it down if I had known beforehand.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to maps. I don't like to complain or form a bias (unless I absolutely hate the map, I'm looking at you ph_doodooquarters). There are some I'm willing to sit through while we wait for something better, but I do agree, we're building a large amount of maps that are either too big or too unpopular (even among non or semi-regulars).
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Soup
Veteran

Post by Soup »

The maps being added back have brought new life to the server. Many of the regulars enjoy playing them and it has brought in people that don't usually play on the server who are excited to see the maps on there.

Let's face it not all maps are going to be liked by all people. I see no point in removing maps that keep the server at least half full. We need a variety of maps that keep all players happy. The ones who like to hide and the ones who like to run around. Tryhards are killing the server and have caused admins to leave or consider leaving. This helps balance it out a bit. It is also a way to change things up without Fire having to spend more money on making new maps.
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

New maps isnt the key to keep the server populated, it obviously helps, but it's far from being the key.

The key to keeping the server alive is someone who finds the energy to get on the server and invite people, rather than wait for the server to fill up it self.

PropHunt has been dying for literally years but we always had someone, either an admin or a regular who got on and started spamming invites, during 2017 we have had a lack of such person, and majority on player amounts that disc used to have is shifting over to GamingMasters for one simple reason, they have few regulars who get on an empty server, start inviting their friends. Disc doesnt have that, and there's no one to blame for it. I've personally spend literally over hundred hours on an empty server simply inviting people and I can tell, it gets dull and boring to do all that work trying to populate the server only to see people vote for Cyberpunk as a "joke" and the server die only a few maps after it was populated.

Just read this if you were too lazy to read the text above
TL;DR; Fire doesnt need to pay to get new maps, you don't need to and sure as hell shouldn't add old maps that have been removed several times back onto the rotation. There's only one thing that I know for sure is needed to keep the server alive and that's one player who gets on, invites his friends, asks his friends to invite more people and gets the server going on everyday untill it starts doing it on its own again.
ImageImageImage
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

Tryhards have always been on the server, always will be. I'm fully with abra here. Back in our days it was always the four of us filling up the server. Abra, leili, night and me. Every god damn day. Eventually we had built a community that came on even if we didn't start it. After us it was corgi and aidorable who attracted people, now lately yang.

You can blame maps, you can blame tryhards. In the end what it takes is dedication, patience and a friendly group of people that is happy to invite everyone and anyone to a laugh.

We had some of the best players when we were at our biggest. Duralmina, bomber, ocheu, linkzz, shooter, abra, brittany, samba, tiku, corgi, joe, west and many many more.
Some of them would still absolutely destroy everyone that came on to prophunt.
But we still had fun, we still had a full server a lot of the time.

Now, even I feel that it's hard to get invited. People say hey when you come on but then it's so many inside jokes, people saving their friends for last, a lot of popular admiration so it doesn't really make you feel welcomed.
And any new player that does anything wrong gets yelled at from 10 different directions.

What I'm trying to say is.
Dedication , patience and a love for the server and all people that joins it. That has always been the winning combination for prophunt
Much love
Jasmine
Soup
Veteran

Post by Soup »

There isn't always someone who can be on all the time to get players joining. It's a sad but true fact. I do my best to keep the server going when I am on and I split my time between murder and ph. Having a wider selection of maps helps keep people from getting bored. Even you have lost and gained interest in ph over the years Abra, it happens to everyone.

And I'm sorry you feel the server isn't very friendly Jasmine but I disagree with you. There are many people who enjoy coming on and I meet many new people and we all have a great time and try to make them feel welcome.