Macros/Scripting Discussion

flash

Macros/Scripting Discussion

Post by flash »

So, I've just been on the front lines of a case of macros, being that I got banned by using them (granted with an outside program). Now, I know that if you use outside programs, it should be considered cheating. So, what about using scripts inside the game itself? Such as binding a key to do multiple things (though not sure it'd be considered a macro). Ex:

Code: Select all

alias +lookup_fix "cl_mouselook 0;+lookup";alias -lookup_fix "cl_mouselook 1;-lookup";alias +lookdown_fix "cl_mouselook 0;+lookdown";alias -lookdown_fix "cl_mouselook 1;-lookdown";alias "flick_up" "cl_pitchspeed 1500;+lookup;wait 10;+attack2;wait 5;-attack2;+lookdown;wait 10;-lookup;wait 15;-lookdown";bind "mouse2" "flick_up"
Which would normally just flick up, ab then flick down (I also included a +lookup/down fix for people who'd like to test it, just copy/paste it).
Zethy
Veteran

Re: Macros/Scripting Discussion

Post by Zethy »

AFAIK, everything is allowed if it can be done with the engine's console. Except for exploits, of course.
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

Third party programs that affect the game have never been allowed. As for Macros themselves, they'll be discussed at a later date by the admin team to figure out if they should be allowed or not.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

We have discussed the usage of macros, and have determined that macros that are used to affect gameplay controls are not allowed on dodgeball.

Macros that are meant to be silly, or do not provide an advantage to gameplay will still be allowed.
Examples:
Spoiler

bind "rightarrow" spinbotright
alias spinbotright "+spinright"
alias +spinright "+right;cl_yawspeed 900000;alias spinbotright -spinright"
alias -spinright "-right;cl_yawspeed 210;alias spinbotright +spinright"

bind mwheeldown +jump
If anyone has a question about a specific macro, they can feel free to ask an admin, and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Darkone2e
Veteran

Post by Darkone2e »

mk, I am really against macro's just because I have seen them circumvent server plugins. Like the plugin that was made to stop quick switching for instance.
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

Just as a point of clarification, this rule change only applies to dodgeball at the moment.

The quickswitch exploit was not circumventing a server plugin, but a part of the base game. The plugin that was created prevented it from being beneficial to people trying to do so.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
flash

Post by flash »

To add onto this subject for the last time, if any servers have "sv_allow_wait_command" set to "0", then any in-game scripts using the "wait" command in them have no effect (void). When people use the wait command, it can also lead to an auto-timeout from said server. More info on this subject can be found on places similar to https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=214159.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

OK I added sv_allow_wait_command 0 to both DB servers. Let me know if this fixes the issue.
ImageImage