So, about the sniper nerf in the FF2 servers..

White Sedan
Veteran

Re: So, about the sniper nerf in the FF2 servers..

Post by White Sedan »

Sniper can still get a ton of damage without the bushwacka. If you stay far away from the hale like you’re supposed to, know to run away when he starts coming towards you, and have teammates that can take the bosses attention away from you, getting 3k+ damage without the bushwacka should be easy. I don’t get why people are acting like he’s completely unusable after this nerf.
----
Hoff wrote:Consider yourself lucky I am not taking legal action against your server.
many_swords
Veteran

Post by many_swords »

The sniper nerf was put in as a result of the class dominating any open map. proven by the fact that almost every single player in the top leader board was playing said class. even going after the snipers first is difficult because most big maps have snipers everywhere that push the boss around while he tries to jump for them, and even if he does by chance make it to the platform the sniper can just jump down and wait until the boss comes down to jump back up. Also note that most open maps have areas the sniper can hide without the need of a bushwacka so even without the jump it's easy to get damage. In fact before the jump was even added players had no issue at all with getting damage without the buff.
Then, if people go sniper on larger maps, the better solution would be imposing a class limit of 3, not everyone is a good sniper, you might see a number of 7 snipers, but how many of them are good at it? As I said, VSH is not FF2, it has different bosses with different abilities, and taunting leaves you very exposed to high mobility bosses on open maps like Shulk, Guts or Dalek.
This would be a much worse nerf then the current one, and we are already having enough issues with other classes that have limits currently so it would be a terrible idea to limit down another class and risk more issues. As for the three bosses mentioned, I'd like to point out that 2 of them are terribly hated due to the way they are played and the last one almost never wins in any map, honestly IMO he is easier to beat in maps you would expect to see a sniper then in smaller maps where there is not as much room to avoid him.
No it doesn't. It simply saying that "Snipers are too op. and needed to be nerfed."
let me be the first one to point out that if a Machina sniper rolls powerful hits for whatever reason, a full charge shot does 1000-1500 damage to the boss, and the sniper is bound to get more then one shot considering. And before someone makes the comment that players don't use the Machina a normal sniper does around 435 on a body shot as well. without the current nerf sniper can easily get as much as a back stabs worth of damage if they are even semi okay with a sniper. this is also combined by the fact that on sniper maps I've seen up to 17 players pick the class purely because it is a sure way to get high damage without being close to the boss. So while your point may be true, it's widely believed that snipers are OP on big maps, even some of our better players have a rough time dealing with the knock back from being shot consistently with 150 damage shots.
But -25 damage and a swing cooldown was enough for a nerf in my opinion.
Yet with a swing cool down a sniper can still waste time spam jumping up and down, allowing more shots from other classes as well as other high damage snipers. I've personally watched bosses lose tons of hp trying to hit a sniper doing this in areas with health packs.

Overall I don't think the nerf is nearly as bad as everyone claims, The opinions I've seen are less the sniper is now under powered and cant be useful at all and more I'm used to sniper being an easy pick easy win class on big maps due to the insane damage and knock back from shots. I personally have a reason to pick other classes in big maps now, when before I would only pick sniper because I was pretty much guaranteed top damage without really trying to play.
Feel free to message me on the community discord if you have any questions.
AngryBlackPenis

Post by AngryBlackPenis »

Mehh the nerf absolutely crippled the sniper class gosh! It's downright impractical the whole damage reduction thing. Taunting before every shot is reasonable for classes like heavy cause hey he’s a literal sentry and they always have a pocket medic/engies backing them up, the solider can rocket jump away, scouts have their sandman meanwhile as a sniper all you have is trees to hide in and walls to climb.

>have teammates that can take the bosses attention away from you

There’s no teamwork cmon, you literally just have yourself to rely on. Occasionally there are people who help you out but yea no medic is gonna pocket you unless they’re friends with you. There are medics who help you out sometimes but yea the fact is that other damage classes have more priority than a silly little sniper. Heck half the time solider’s rockets or demo’s shenanigans just throw the hale right in the sniper’s face. So yea we need the mobility please don’t force us to choose.

A class limit nerf would have been more reasonable than this, yea people might have been upset about that too. BUT it’s easily remedied by grabbing the slot before anyone else does. I mean they already do it for engi/pyro/spy and scout, why not sniper as well? So yea we could have easily adjusted to that change.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

Spoiler

Code: Select all

Without Bush:

Sniper No Scope:

Body: 145
Head: 145
Body With Taunt Crits: 150
Head With Taunt Crits: 150

Sniper Scope Full Charge:

Body: 435
Head: 450
Body With Taunt Crits: 450
Head With Taunt Crits: 450

Machina Full Charge:

Body: 500
Head: 518
Body With Taunt Crits: 518
Head With Taunt Crits: 518

With Bush:

Sniper No Scope:

Body: 50
Head: 50
Body With Taunt Crits: 150 
Head With Taunt Crits: 150

Sniper Scope Full Charge:

Body: 150
Head: 450
Body With Taunt Crits: 450
Head With Taunt Crits: 450

Machina Full Charge:

Body: 173
Head: 518
Body With Taunt Crits: 518
Head With Taunt Crits: 518

So after reading this thread I decided to do some quick tests. Above is the damage output for Sniper/Machina. Before this change was made there was really no reason for the sniper to ever taunt for crits as he basically had perm crits on his primary weapon. I think after hearing everyone out I wanted to try one thing and see what you think. What if I keep it how it is now and increase just for the sniper taunt crits from 5 seconds per taunt to 10 seconds per taunt? This would still be a downside but it would allow much more time to take shots. Going to add this in now and let me know what you think.
ImageImage
Dr. Axel Link
Veteran

Post by Dr. Axel Link »

Some alternatives to try when playing Sniper:
Move around more, if you think he's heading towards your location, try to high tail it out of there into a different spot.
Don't rely on the Bushwacka, most maps have easily accessible sniper spots without it, especially the big maps where snipers are usually found.
Use a different Primary with Bushwacka. Huntsman was not nerfed in this, and it still pairs well with the mobility the Bushwacka gives you.
Remember, Bushwacka is not needed. If Snipers did well without before, they can do well without it now.
AngryBlackPenis

Post by AngryBlackPenis »

yea those 10 sec taunt crits seem more reasonable, doesn't handicap the sniper as much as the initial nerf did.
hopefully it's kept this way. oof still gotta get in the habit of taunting more often >w<;;